iloveredstripe

Ande Whall Denim

Here here... big reps for them tip top pocket bags...

Please stop updating this thread as my hopes raise that ande is back in business everytime!

I don't really lust after any new pairs now but kick myself regularly for not copping a pair of Ande's. Roys don't appeal as much don't know why. 

Feel similarly about wanting a pair of Ande’s jeans. Should’ve taken advantage of it when he was still making them. 

I too kick myself for not buying more Buffaloes, particularly the standard roll 13.5oz and the 15.3oz pinkline selvedge. Oh well, I still have a couple of pairs tucked away for the future.

Not to cross post too much but...let us hope the FH thread doesn’t mirror our Ande Whall sentiments in the near future...

^ and Roy too, for that matter.

16 hours ago, Broark said:

Feel similarly about wanting a pair of Ande’s jeans. Should’ve taken advantage of it when he was still making them. 

Same here. I found out about Ande's stuff back in 2015 or thereabouts but I was stil relatively new to the whole raw/selvedge denim thing. I don't recall what Ande charged for his jeans ($350?) but at the time I couldn't afford it. Now, his jeans are one of my grail items. I'm sure they're rare as hens teeth these days

I think they were more like $265!

Yeah you're right. I think I was confusing Ande's jeans with someone else.

Thankfully i've still got a minty pair of Cobras in my cupboard from his final run... 

8 hours ago, Bobbo said:

That seller's name sounds familiar ;)

I still got my pair of double black jeans but as I never really wear black...well, they are pretty unworn :D

Posted (edited)

I've still got a brand new pair of 15oz Caribou's in the closet.

My Standies are just holding up. And my DenimHead's are my regular wear of late.

Edited by Tapori

What are the DenimHeads, were they a Special Roll? ShovelHeads perhaps?

I always liked the look of Ande's jeans but the measurements of pretty all the fits looked like they'd be way too tight in the lower thigh. So I never really regretted not getting one. :sad:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

What are the DenimHeads, were they a Special Roll? ShovelHeads perhaps?

They are the SR12s, with the DenimHead pocket bags. And also the shovelhead back pockets.

(SR12s on the right).

screenshot_06.jpg

screenshot_08.jpg

Edited by Tapori

Posted (edited)

X4 pos rep!

Edited by Geeman

Thinking about putting my streaky denim Cougars up on ebay. Think I got them in 2009, but they were really tight then and don't fit now. That was before the earthquake that destroyed the shop. They have some cool details that Ande didn't include in his new designs.

48844541093_e9db0dc9e9_h.jpg

Finally pulled out my standard roll Ande Whalls to start breaking in this summer. They were bought just before Andy closed up shop, with the optional shovel-head shape and partial lining on the back pockets. Really lovely lighter-weight denim, the color seemed to have a subtle greenish, greyish cast while fading that is quite unique. I wonder what mill his standard roll came from, and whose denim nowadays is probably most similar (maybe Stevenson’s?) - there’s no replacing Andy’s work, but another pair in this denim would be very welcome.

Anyway, photos...

3O6PcHq_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

MHnv1bh_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Love these low-profile rivets, and the fading of his cotton-poly threads is impressively similar to 100% cotton.

Q6LEAIi_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Patch is starting to crack a bit and get uneven coloring despite my conditioning efforts. Such a statement chunk of leather.

riUtS2N_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

5nQEbJ5_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Those are really great!

Posted (edited)

They look great @FeloniousMonk, what cut are they? I’m not sure but I think that denim might be from Kuroki mills.

EDIT: that much fading this summer, wow!

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Wow, that much character in under 6 months?

Look great and makes me feel even worse for not copping...

Any of you try Eleven Wolves denim? He’s another NZ one man denim maker that looks decent 

@Maynard Friedman Thanks, Kuroki mills would fit with the similar cast and fading of the Stevenson standard denim from there. Theirs and Ande’s brand-specific denims are among my very favorite so far - lots of little variation and interest that comes through in the fades while still feeling quite soft, regular, and light enough for hot weather.

@Geeman it’s probably been about 7-8 months of heavy wear - saying “this summer” is definitely an exaggeration. I wore them every now and again since getting them in fall 2016, but never had them “in rotation”.  Around April when the weather got warm, I decided this was their year and wore them A LOT (including all the washes that come with that wear in a sticky NYC summer) until they needed their first (minor) repairs this September. Just got them back from SENY this week and can’t wait to see what next summer will do to them.

4 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

Any of you try Eleven Wolves denim? He’s another NZ one man denim maker that looks decent 

Australian. 

6 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

Australian. 

Same thing! :D

32 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

Australian. 

Ahh. I thought he was from NZ. My bad

Just confirming that the 'standard' denim Ande used was indeed from Kuroki - I asked him a few years back.