SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

i'm interested in purchasing another pair of raw denim after wearing my APC's out for almost 3.5 years now... does dior make raw denim in the 17.5 cm cut? i've only seen 19cm cuts so far.

Not sure about what Dior's options are, but if you're looking for something slimmer than the 19cm, but in a serious next level raw denim, the Imperial SExI23 is closest to a Dior 18.5 cm cut, and is one of the slimmest jeans Self Edge carries…definitely worth a look, as the fit is atypical for us, and the denim is really phenomenal: http://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1235&search=sexi23

Hi, I recently purchased a pair of naked&famous x Flat Head x Tate x Yoto and gave it one hot soak, and thought the fit was too baggy. Would it be okay to give it 1-2 more hot soaks in order to get the fit I want? Or is this ill advised? Any help would be great!

You could give it a few more hot soaks, or you could turn it inside out, and wash it on warm in the gentle cycle (no detergent) and pull it out before the spin cycle.  They will not be too baggy anymore.

You could give it a few more hot soaks, or you could turn it inside out, and wash it on warm in the gentle cycle (no detergent) and pull it out before the spin cycle.  They will not be too baggy anymore.

okay cool, and another hot soak wont affect fades or anything? they are practically brand new still

No....almost zero indigo is lost in a soak, and what you lose in one machine wash is absolutely negligible over the long term.  Fading comes predominantly from wearing not from washing.  You will get high contrast fades with FH 3xxx even if you wash them every 2-3 weeks.  FH denim looks awesome after it's been worn awhile, pretty much regardless of what you do with it. 

No....almost zero indigo is lost in a soak, and what you lose in one machine wash is absolutely negligible over the long term.  Fading comes predominantly from wearing not from washing.  You will get high contrast fades with FH 3xxx even if you wash them every 2-3 weeks.  FH denim looks awesome after it's been worn awhile, pretty much regardless of what you do with it. 

would washing once a month be advised for quick fades?

It kinda all depends on the wear.  Washing isn't going to do a ton to expedite fading in jeans that aren't being worn heavily (lots of days/month, lots of hours/day, through lots of activity but not activity that is intentionally destructive) but what it will do is display the wear the jeans have received quicker than not washing will.  You'll lose the potential for FH's unique inky black blue contrasted with white or light blue mega-contrast fade, but you can still have a pretty high contrast fade with somewhat frequent washing.  I was my jeans when a sheen starts to develop on the thighs, which, when I ride my bike is predictably at the 2 week mark.  Check the FH thread to see a pair of 3005 I just posted.  Keep in mind that those are a full cut sized up, so, your fading in your much slimmer pair will be substantially more intense.

I would personally argue that quicker fades will be achieved by washing more frequently.  They won't make the creases or anything more defined, but... by washing more the overall color of the jean will be lighter, and that will make them look more faded.  Also, areas like the yoke of the jeans and roping along the hem will benefit from the agitation that a washer provides.  And you will have not ugly jeans that are clean, which is always a plus.

fit looks good but they are cuffed too high , maybe an inch or so lower

Agreed.  Cuffed way too high.  IMO, the 811 is better suited to a proper hem with just a tiny bit of stacking (or none) rather than cuffs.  

Alright guys, come this fall I will be doing a lot of farm work. I live in the mountainous southwest, where it gets pretty cold at night. I'm looking for a hard wearing jacket probably made out of duck or maybe corduroy( love the SDA ranch jacket but big is sold out of my size, also its pricey) and would prefer it have some kind of blanket or shearling lining. I've had carhartt, but their quality is questionable these days, and I think they are usually too bulky. Any ideas? SE used to stock a pretty nice IH duck jacket, but I'd rather not spend that much cash.

A question for those with some vintage workwear knowledge: what was the intended purpose of the chin strap that we often see on workshirts? Did it mean that the wearer could enjoy greater comfort during physical labour without technically having his top shirt button undone or was it there for another reason?

Alright guys, come this fall I will be doing a lot of farm work. I live in the mountainous southwest, where it gets pretty cold at night. I'm looking for a hard wearing jacket probably made out of duck or maybe corduroy( love the SDA ranch jacket but big is sold out of my size, also its pricey) and would prefer it have some kind of blanket or shearling lining. I've had carhartt, but their quality is questionable these days, and I think they are usually too bulky. Any ideas? SE used to stock a pretty nice IH duck jacket, but I'd rather not spend that much cash.

My first idea was the Carhartt Detroit, as it has all the Features you listed and is quite affordable. I've worn mine for two hears (but not during physical work) and it seems to be of decent Quality. Considering the Price, the IH jacket won't be three to four times "better" or longer lasting. You might want to have a look at the upcoming quilted lined Flannels by IH, they could be a slightly cheaper option. I think they also make a duck / lined Shirt.

^Regarding the collar: I don't know much about vintage colthes, but your Explanation semms to make sense (and give a certain flexiblity in sizing for different builds).

Edited by Max Power

How warm does the jacket need to be be, and what is your budget?  A Tin Cloth jacket might do the trick.

http://www.filson.com/products/lined-short-cruiser-soy-wax.10412.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=mens/coats-jackets&fmetaProduct=1011/

Well I was kind of hoping to avoid an indigo denim tuxedo, black denim would be great through. I was really hoping for black duck actually. So I guess the carhartt Detroit would do nicely, I just would prefer a trucker style.

@setterman, I would prefer to keep it no more than $300, less would be even better. I have also been considering a filson! They make a ranch jacket that looks nice. It doesn't have to be super warm, but it does get cold enough here that I would need a liner of some kind(I don't like the bulk of a hoodie underneath, as I need plenty of mobility) thank you guys for all the input!

Does anyone know any raw denims that are generous with the thigh but taper down a good amount? Sort of like levis 520 if you need a comparison. I have larger thighs but stick thin calves.

Also the iron heart 633s from se... but honestly just man up and get a regular straight cut for dem thighs.  Most people have skinny calves and they don't make a difference in the appearance of a cut.  Jeans with normal thighs and a big taper just look strange; check out vintage photos, the jeans you want to be made the ol' fashioned way never looked like that.  Considering the effort that goes into making them vintage-like, many jeans are quite anachronistic imo

can anyone recommend some brands that carry washed jeans that have an apc butler look to them (fading, whiskers, and honeycombs that look naturally worn)? I know rrl, lvc, and john elliott carry some but what are some other brands?

Not sure what kind of fit you're looking for, but these are some of the best pre-distressed jeans I've seen.  

http://www.ware-house.co.jp/?pid=69099287

Hey guys, I'm in the market for some black jeans.

I've gone this long and haven't gotten any black denim!

Honestly I'm wanting to wear some jeans to my sister's wedding in October and I feel like black denim would work.

But even if I don't wear them then (since she specifically told me no jeans, so I probably won't) I just want to have a pair in my rotation.

Probably something not super heavy (although the IH overdyed stuff looks awesome) or super slim.

Thanks in advance.  ;)

Hey guys, I'm in the market for some black jeans.

I've gone this long and haven't gotten any black denim!

Honestly I'm wanting to wear some jeans to my sister's wedding in October and I feel like black denim would work.

But even if I don't wear them then (since she specifically told me no jeans, so I probably won't) I just want to have a pair in my rotation.

Probably something not super heavy (although the IH overdyed stuff looks awesome) or super slim.

Thanks in advance.  ;)

Well, from my recent poking there's black stuff from Left Field, Ande Whall, 3sixteen, Samurai, and Imperial (I think), and you're bound to find a cut that's good for you within those options.

Broark, you could check out Indigoferas gunpowder jeans. A very underrepresented brand around here. Danny at Rivet & Hide doesn't have the jeans but since he stocks the Fargo shirt/jacket in the same denim he could probably tell you a thing or two about it and Indigoferas quality in general.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic