SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Hi guys, i'm looking for a new pair of raw denim and i've narrowed down my options to the pbj xx-011 or the japan blue 0206. Can someone enlighten me on the higher price point of the pbjs as compared to the japan blues? (the pbjs are almost double the price of japan blue) Is the quality of japan blue inferior compared to the pbjs? How would japan blue compare to APCs?

Hey guys, got some pictures of my Samurai S510xx 21oz and I'm startin to get a problem in the crotch area that I've never seen before. The thread in the seams is falling out, and it's starting to make them split open but I'm not thinking it will cause permanent damage to the denim. Thoughts on what I should do guys? Thinking to send them to Railcar as I've used them in the past for crotch blowouts.

These got between 6-7 months of everyday wear, 1 wash/1 soak

http://imgur.com/a/thcSN

^Samurai's (IMO only) weakness - the Cotton threads. I keep restitching all my Samurais every month. You can fix this yourself using strong likewise coloured poly thread or have a tailor do this.

^^ There's nothing wrong with Japan Blue, they offer a decent quality for a good Price. PBJ is pretty unique with their very slubby denim. I like PBJ's fabric better - if you do too, it's worth the extra bucks. Japan Blue is IMO superior to APC, as most of the JB denim has a more vintage character compared to the regular APC denim.

Edited by Max Power

how much are sanforized denim expected to shrink after soaking?

Generally 2-3%. Not enough to really make a difference if you want to shrink them before wearing in the first place. If you machine wash you could possible get a little more. 

Anybody a member of Take5 Hong Kong? I'm in Hong Kong right now and I would appreciate it if a member of Take5 would go with me to the store so I would be able to purchase some goods at 20% off. I'm looking at the Samurai S710OG 16oz Organic and a Sugar Cane Type II Denim Jacket. I would gladly treat you to lunch or some coffee! Shoot me a pm if you're available.

Edited by mattxchu

Hi sorry for this noob question but the tagged weight of a pair of unsanforized jeans refers to the pre-soak weight or post soak weight?  i.e. a 17oz unsanforized jeans means that the fabric is 17 oz pre soak and will be 17oz  after soaking?

Many thanks!

^It almost always refers to presoak weight. In fact I've never heard of any unsanf pair being branded by their post soak weight, though I'm sure there is some example of this to be found somewhere. Unsanforized fabric will typically measure as much as 1-2oz heavier after a soak due to shrinkage.

Edited by pandemic

Hi sorry for this noob question but the tagged weight of a pair of unsanforized jeans refers to the pre-soak weight or post soak weight?  i.e. a 17oz unsanforized jeans means that the fabric is 17 oz pre soak and will be 17oz  after soaking?

Many thanks!

It's like a burger...it's pre-cooking/soaking/washing.  That's because it's a statement of fact about the fabric, in it's pre-garment state, not it's potential weight.  Iron Heart's 21/23oz UHR is the only jean I've seen branded that includes the weight, and the projected post-soak weight.

can everyone confirm that the boots worn by the left field model in almost every pic are indys?  the brass hardware is throwing me a little.. LF_chelsea_1024x1024.jpg?v=1387183527

Hard to tell in the deformed state they are in but to me it definitely looks like a really beat to shit pair of Indy's. I'm no boot expert though.

Edited by pandemic

They aren't Indy's, but I have an 8 year old pair that's pretty beat, and I had to look at those a long time to be sure they weren't Indy's (with replaced eyelets).  The toe stitching is different, the eyelets are the wrong color, size, and placement, and the welt is a storm welt, which is not what Alden uses on the Indy.  You could probably email someone at Left Field and ask, but they look like 70's or later vintage.  Seriously though, if what you like is how those boots look, there isn't a currently produced boot that'll look more like that after a few years of serious wear that a pair of Indy's. 

IMO the cuff height is fine...I think it helps with the shape of a cut/fit like that to have 0 break so the jean falls and shapes naturally.  It would definitely look better though if it was just a double cuff instead of this double/double cuff or recuffing that seems to be popping up everywhere lately.  I'm not a fan of that in general, but to each their own...it just really exacerbates the bulkiness at the hem and with a jean this new and rigid it plays with the leg shape in a way that I definitely wouldn't be into.  The rest of the jean will look great as it shapes, softens, and wears.

They're sitting kinda awkwardly, making them flare out at the calf. I think it would look better if you uncuffed them and let them hang naturally.

My favorite jeans before I got into raw denim were some Wrangler Cowboy Cuts. Any companies out making a raw repro of the classic Wrangler Cowboy Cut??

Thanks

It would definitely look better though if it was just a double cuff instead of this double/double cuff or recuffing that seems to be popping up everywhere lately. 

sometimes when you haven't got access to a reliable hemmer of jawnz, the tender/faux cuff is necessary to get a shorter inseam.

Oh yeah, I feel you man! Getting new jeans to look good as a shorter dude is not an easy thing regardless! I've just come to appreciate the extent that cuff bulk can play in weird hang/shape of rigid jeans. Though it's definitely not for everyone, my preference is cutting to a length that can be double cuffed until you get to a place that can hem for you...I've done this more recently and for longer than I ought to admit. Just remember that you'll lose an inch from where you cut them when they're eventually hemmed.

X post from flathead thread cus I'm an eager beaver. . Quick question I have a Flathead early works tshirt,fits spot on in a 42 even though im a 39 inch chest.. do all TFH tee's fit the same looking to buy a plain white THC-00 model.

in my experience the different lines are sized differently , most of my Flathead Tee's are from the THC line ( i think ) and i take a 40 , my chest measures about 38. i got tee from the glory park line ( its just a regular tee shirt, not the reglan sleeve baseball shirts , i have one of these in a 40 and it fits me well ) and a 40 fits like a kids shirt so i give it to the misses 

hope this helps 

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic