SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

i hate that the search function doesnt work

demin doctors have their own thread? looking to get a pair of samurais from japan hemmed and want to know how to go about doing it

I too would like to know about sending a pair to denim doctors to have hemmed. How's the service? quality? and turn around time.

I hear Denim Doctors has a chainstitch machine (which is surprisingly uncommon, seeing as they're $700-800). Also, SelfEdge, Blue In Green and Blue Owl http://www.blueowl.us have chainstitch services. Abour $20 or so. I use SE and BiG all the time.

can I reattach a rivet or do I have to buy new ones?

Who made the jeans, and can you exchange? That's a production flaw. If jeans aren't returnable, contact the shop or you might even have to contact the manufacturer and ask (I know of a number of people on this site who have done this, and received rivets sent from Japan). They should be provided free-of-charge, or you can send the jeans back if that's even realistic.

When you get the rivets: If you don't have a rivet driver, you'll have to rivet the new one on with with a hammer and some kind of metal tube about the diameter of a Bic pen to span the rivet nipple. Something like a socket-wrench head, a small section of pipe. Then - bam! - hammer the flat part down onto and over the nipple. Make sure you don't do it half-assed. Make sense?

seriously. this is killing me. -_-

To change post order: You'll want to go to 'Supercontrol (top right) > Supersettings (right) > Edit Options...

Anyone actually know why when exposed to hotter water, jeans shrink more? Generally speaking, when things get colder, they tighten up and get denser. It always riddled me.

Simple, actually. Water causes the fibers to swell, then re-knit even more tightly and densely. Hot water (which causes things to expand more) causes the fibers to enlarge even more and knit tighter, and then as the fibers cool and dry, the weave becomes more dense and tighter than if cold water was used.

Ah, okay. That makes a little sense. But how is it that after the fibers have "bloomed" and swelled that they don't return to the original size after drying?

They do return to their original size. But the swelling causes the fibers to interlock more tightly, so when the fibers dry, they retain that tighter weave. Imagine interlacing your fingers, and then squeezing them together. They lock together more tightly. It's a phenomenon that happens with knits and weaves. It explains why things shrink.

Also explains why it's good to soak all denim - sanforized or not - because that interlocking also helps to strengthen seams and stitching areas, and it also brings out the real character of any denim.

I didn't ask what the negative effects are of washing/soaking, I asked if trying to starch raw denim again had negative effects.

basically the added starch will cause the cotton fibre to break down a lot quicker. this is also often the cause of crotch blowouts, of small rips where there is strong creasing in the denim. so if you don't soak/wash on a regular basis your jeans will break down faster than desired

A friend of mine is going to Tokyo soon and said that she'd pick up some denim for me. What's some good Japanese denim that you can't really find in the US?

i read that some denim shops have exclusive models/cuts that they only sell in their stores. i wouldn't ask him to bring you any denim unless he has the exact same body type as you and knows precisely what you want. otherwise you'll end up with a pair of jeans of which you won't like the denim or the cut. risky business mang

how do you guys soak your jeans?? last time i tried soaking my waistband i couldnt keep the water hot.

the boiling water turned to lukewarm water in a matter of 5 minutes.

I don't really know, the cuts aren't great either. Its probably the fact that they fall under selfedge's promotions.

To the guy who posted a fit pic asking for help on a cut, you should go with either the skull 5507, or samurai 0500. Both of those would suit what you want well.

2 things:

1) black denims with a cinch back? slim or straight or slim straight.

2) how can i convince my girlfriend that i need a mid wallet and reign and won't look like a dweeb wearin' it? (need pics of steeziest dude ever with reign/mid length wallet)

Quick question guys......

Ive had my Flatheads for about a month and been wearing it daily,

I wanna get it tapered, but would it be weird because the honeycombs and knee fade are settiing in?!?

Also, any general concerns or things to tell the tailor when bringing in your expensive jeans to a tailor?

Any slight comment very much appreciated

Whats my best option for a pair of black jeans. I love the way black samurais fade but they dont have anything in a style id like. What other brands are comparable?

Slab - mine shrank about 1,5 after the first soak - and another 0.5 after first wash.

Itschrisb - check out FH 4001 - slim fit and pretty cool fades

daweii shoot leathersoulhawaii and email

inyourface - I don't think it matters - the combs will basically settle again..just make sure to tell the tailor not to destroy the selvage line - they love to do that since it's the easier access point for them...

dub cinch back - no matter if black or indigo - always straight up..cinch back looks sensless on a slim tight jean. and how do u convince ur girlfriend ? Just buy urself a wallet and wear it - if she leaves you because of that - it wasn't meant to be anyway...

[otherpplzconcerns]

dub cinch back - no matter if black or indigo - always straight up..cinch back looks sensless on a slim tight jean. and how do u convince ur girlfriend ? Just buy urself a wallet and wear it - if she leaves you because of that - it wasn't meant to be anyway...

thx, beatle, so true on both counts. way to help me get my head in the right place. still, tho, is there something un-authentic about a rural/suburban turned semi-yuppy professional student wearing cuffs, boots, and a wallet and leather reign? i feel like i want some of that ish for the aesthetics, but am not the biker badass i wanna be. maybe this should be in supertrash...

Hello, complete newb post, I have been lurking and reading a bunch, but could use some advice from the experienced people here.

I am looking for my first pair of Japan selvedge as project. As much as I search and search this forum, I continue to come back to wanting the Samurai S5000VX21oz.

*The reason for 21oz is I ride a motorcycle daily, and I appreciate the protection.

It appears to me the Samurai denim fades to the incredible states of indigo (I also notice Sugar Cane does also), which is what I want primarily for the project to accomplish.

Am I correct in assuming that this particular manufacturer (Samurai) has a consistent ability to produce extremely beautiful fades? Or am I just viewing on this site Samurai owners who also happen to take incredible macros photograph?

Thank you.

Id say sams definitly have nice fading potential and will look good. Any jean can really fade and look good depending on the person and what they do to the jeans. I dont personally own a pair of sams but i can say you probably wont be disappointed in them.

the 21oz samurais is probably your best choice in the heavyweigh arena.... great texture, sick fades, awesome durability.... i wouldnt get anything else....

Hello, complete newb post, I have been lurking and reading a bunch, but could use some advice from the experienced people here.

I am looking for my first pair of Japan selvedge as project. As much as I search and search this forum, I continue to come back to wanting the Samurai S5000VX21oz.

*The reason for 21oz is I ride a motorcycle daily, and I appreciate the protection.

It appears to me the Samurai denim fades to the incredible states of indigo (I also notice Sugar Cane does also), which is what I want primarily for the project to accomplish.

Am I correct in assuming that this particular manufacturer (Samurai) has a consistent ability to produce extremely beautiful fades? Or am I just viewing on this site Samurai owners who also happen to take incredible macros photograph?

Thank you.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic