Interest check TCB contest round 5

Cheers, 

After all this talk about another run for a tcb contest, I figured an extra  thread to clear out the details would be the next step.

Feel free to share wishes and so on, let's see how it goes :)

Same here.

FYI I sent TCB an email today letting them know there's interest on the SuFu-side. I also included the ideas mentioned in the other thread. I'm happy to let others take the lead here, but just wanted to reach out to TCB while the idea's fresh on their mind. 

I would probably join as well as long as it's not something that is not super tapered (e.g., leg opening > ~7.5"  for 31" waist) or something that I could not wear to the office (e.g., overalls).

I do feel like these sorts of contests work best and are most valuable and interesting (to both us and the brand) when they're large sample size attempts to see how a new fabric and/or cut fades over time

I can't wear non-Drake's pants at work, but I would buy-in if the jean was cool. Wearing around work means no real shot at winning, but it's still fun to participate. I actually love the full, relaxed fit mentioned in the TCB main thread. Not really sure that's up TCB's alley though. We'll see!

I heard back from Ryo at TCB. Looks like they have a model in mind and are aiming for the summer! 

Relevant email bits from Ryo:

Also many thanks for your suggestions! I will discuss it with Hajime but we actually have some new model in mind to do a fade contest with in our mind, which many vintage jeans lovers would love for sure.

We aim to release it in this summer...The release date might be delayed or get earlier but we would like to hold a fade contest for sure with the new model!

Sorry to potentially cut any discussion in this thread short, but I'm also hopeful the new model will be roomy!

I'm potentially interested as long as they're fairly high waisted.

I messaged Ryo abt a year ago on Instagram and they said that sadly they were not interested in doing an 80s redline repro. It’s a mystery to me though why almost no brands repro this model, only the LVC version comes to mind.

1 hour ago, NilsLW said:

I messaged Ryo abt a year ago on Instagram and they said that sadly they were not interested in doing an 80s redline repro. It’s a mystery to me though why almost no brands repro this model, only the LVC version comes to mind.

No mystery. The reason is that by 1980, for most vintage denim enthusiasts, the denim and details on vintage examples (which are then repro'd) are pretty much 'meh'.

And the lvc version is a good example of why: bland and boring at best.

@Bowler Even when TCB made matching jackets at the launch of the S40s jean and contest, they were not interested in a fade contest for the jacket.

I might be up for a long-haul jacket contest. The details would be more important though, because it would have to be wearable with a variety of jeans too get enough wear out of it.

Yea to be quite honest I too am probably more inclined towards a long haul jacket contest than a jeans contest. Make it 4 years or something. 

But it still comes down to the item itself, I would need to like the item more than the idea of competing (because really I wouldn’t be). 

Im down!!! I would love for them to do something old and obscure like a levis 333 or rly early bluebells… but I trust the pair they have in development is gonna be cool no matter what!