Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

6 hours ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

@tg76 so that means no Japanese brands? 

yeah.

I've never shopped Japanese anyway. I got my Skulls second hand from Minya, my Evisu were a gift from Evisu for the dirty dozen +1 . 

My sufu approved jeans (that dont fit me anymore) are Andewhall (met several times, drank beer ate pizza) Mr freedom (flew into LA on way home from UK) ROY and CircleA (both purchased as part of jeans challenges way back).

Im hoping to head to Okinawa next year to visit an ex student that is working there now doing weaving and indigo dying.. I'm pretty sure as an almost 6' female I wont find many clothes that fit me.. too curvy these days to squeeze into mens jeans.

Love being a slob in my Byborre X miffy pants (met Sam years ago, still talk about trexes on instachat occasionally). 

I pretty much buy NZ made now.

Edited by tg76

^ that’s great. I respect that a lot. 

there’s basically almost none or very little clothes made in here, and what we do have is not to my liking. I shop almost exclusively Japanese, directly almost always (so no sales anyways if we’re getting back to that discussion). But I really don’t buy that much clothes. I buy jeans when the current pair dies. Same for shoes/boots. I don’t buy jackets anymore as I have like 6 jackets and 6 weeks of jacket weather annually.  

New Zealand is awesome. I enjoyed it very much as a tourist (which is probably very different as a resident?). 

On 12/9/2023 at 4:30 PM, tg76 said:

After I stopped working in the retail fashion machine, and stopped doing WAYWT I pretty much stopped shopping. I've got rules now that I first had to stop me retail therapy shopping. 

1. only 5 new garments per year 

2. I need to be able to meet the maker if I wanted to, keeps me supporting local or flying to LA to go to Mr Freedom

I really love this way of thinking. I keep trying to set rules for myself that I think are too strict for practical life - like buy nothing all year - but this seems a little more attainable. I actually used to follow something closer to your rules more. My first pair (and second, and third) pairs of good jeans were Raleigh Denim, when I lived near the shop and met the owners and the producers multiple times. The problem is they started asking for stupid(er) sums of money, the cuts were stuck in 2010, and the brand, let's say, veered from my interests. Once they got past $300 before the crazy inflation hit, and the products didn't have the charm or the pattern of the Japanese makers I couldn't do it.

My first pair (and second) pairs of good boots were Oak Street (still kicking, in good shape) because I met Nick (Horween) and toured the Horween Tannery in Chicago when I used to work in the city as a photographer for a good while. Didn't meet the boot makers but met the leather tanners and the bootmakers being in New England seemed pretty good. After the tour I decided to spent the money on boots - the most by far I'd ever thrown down for an article of clothing, only due to a good year (freelance is all over the place). Now living in Michigan my only option would really be Detroit Denim. I wish them well, but I don't love what they're doing. 

This past year was my worst in a long time in terms of purchases but I'm letting that go because the year began under incredibly trying circumstances and it was better than hitting the bottle, or any other number of ways people cope with traumatic stuff. The upside is that I have no good reason to buy really anything any time soon - other than business or formalwear - which I rarely need and do not at all enjoy. Maybe I'll give something like this a spin for 2024. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

11 hours ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

New Zealand is awesome. I enjoyed it very much as a tourist (which is probably very different as a resident?). 

I love it now as a tourist in my own lands, its great having the time and money to head off and explore different parts. I'm in love with the south island and try and head there a couple of times a year. I let my passport lapse with all the COVID restrictions and haven't missed travelling too much, but I'm starting to look at get aways again.

I don't spend much time in the bigger cities here anymore, find Auckland claustrophobic after living there for too long, Wellington is great for a long weekend, I've got family there so can bounce in and out to events. Where I am there are only 100,000 people over quite a large area, hated it here when i was little, love it as an adult.

My last big purchase, which was three parts grief and one part union driven pay settlement, was a mainecoon kitten, decadent and stupid but the Band-Aid I needed at the time. 

I haven't been for some time now - not since a year after the earthquake, but the city I've spent the most time in outside of the U.S. has been Christchurch - 9 months over two visits. It still feels like it would be another home of mine in a sense. The south island is an amazing place. 

I'm in a smaller (well, more medium sized) town now too and much prefer it to the big cities. Priorities change. 

During lockdown we used to do the shopping for our 103yr old neighbour.. he used to make his own marmalade out of this stuff called Ma Made.. we’d never heard of it.. it was a large tin can of sliced Seville oranges.. he would spoon some out into a pan.. pour on sugar and water.. cook it down and pour it into jars... he ate it every morning on toast.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

On 12/15/2023 at 12:53 PM, Double 0 Soul said:

During lockdown we used to do the shopping for our 103yr old neighbour.. he used to make his own marmalade out of this stuff called Ma Made.. we’d never heard of it.. it was a large tin can of sliced Seville oranges.. he would spoon some out into a pan.. pour on sugar and water.. cook it down and pour it into jars... he ate it every morning on toast.

I saw it in Sainsbury’s yesterday (I’d never heard of it before) on the bottom shelf beneath the Wilkin & Sons, Frank Cooper's, Rose’s, Dalfour and Robertson’s.

I watched a film earlier called Incredible But True.. a couple bought a house which has a secret time portal in the basement.. if you went through it 12hrs passed but you became 3 days younger.. his boss at work had an electronic penis fitted which he controlled via an app on his phone but when it broke, he couldn't get anyone in the Eu to fix it so he had to return to Japan for a firmware update.. his wife descended into a mental breakdown after she'd been through the suburban time tunnel too many times.. turns out she was full of ants?. then the guys electronic penis caught fire while he was driving his car and he crashed trying to pat it out so the guy who bought the house just went fishing in the end.. it was good!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

On 12/22/2023 at 1:12 PM, Duke Mantee said:

I’ve probably had/have more 601XX 51’s than that - anyway it’s hardly a problem when you’ve a pair for each day of the week … Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Today

We need a photo of your FW jeans spread. Haha