Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

If you're worried about the denim potentially being too weird, I suspect it will be. Had a chance to see the sample pair in NYC, and it's probably the most over-engineered fabric I've ever seen. Massive loom chatter, and slub so crazy it looks like they picked random thread widths out of a box. I dig it, and will almost certainly pick up a pair if the new fit works for me, but it's going to be a bit polarizing.

I can't do anything self edge collabs. I went to SE to see the "contest" collab jeans and they are way too fake. Also, for me at least, almost every collab self edge does is geared towards skinny people who wear their pants too tight. 

The collabs are usually tight fits or at least aggressively tapered, but I'd contend that this is because the shop knows its customers. These are the cuts which, across all brands, sell that much quicker than looser cut repro styles. Personally, I like the strong sense of style that SE has cultivated. Not to everyone's taste but you know if something fits with the shop's ''brand'' or not.

I can't do anything self edge collabs. I went to SE to see the "contest" collab jeans and they are way too fake. Also, for me at least, almost every collab self edge does is geared towards skinny people who wear their pants too tight. 

What "contest" collab jeans?  The Sufu x Styleforum jeans from 5 years ago?

That's the last time we did a contest type jean collab.

Ah my bad I thought the 009LTD contest jean was a collaboration. Regardless, most collab pairs are all quite slim --> skinny fitting... Just no fits that are comfortable or work for me.

Restarting my rotation of Kakishibu Century Denim & Evisu number.1 after WH world tour.

Mightly tempted to start rotating in the FC WWII wildcotton, but century denim just started to be really beautiful...might sit on this one for sometime...

Very interested in 1.2.3+S Indigo Century Denim by Kapital, might need to personally see & feel the fabric to convince myself it's something special.

That Westride by Conner jeans is also really intriguing.

I think everyone knows that it doesn’t make much sense for me plan a future rotation. Mainly because I really like to rotate a lot between my pairs. Yes, I am a collector but nor for simply hanging them in my rack but for wearing each pair and experience the different fabrics, cuts and vibes of each pair.

While it’s true with this way that I won’t reach the “the end†of every pair I own, this isn’t the ultimate goal to me. It’s not that I think a pair is only worn right when it’s shredded or worn until all the indigo is gone. To me it’s the wearing itself, just like “the journey is the destinationâ€.

All that said, currently I mostly wear my Warehouse 800. This is my “main pairâ€. Besides the Warehouse 800, I’m looking forward to the Warehouse 1105 as a summer pair with lighter denim and a more modern fit.

The other pairs in my “more regular rotation†are my Full Count 1101 (finally hemmed to the perfect length), my Flat Head 3009, my Resolute 710, my Denime 66XX (Shins) and my Ooe Yofukuten.

I’m also about to get a pair of the Studio d’Artisan D1709 (’66 model) next month but those have to wait behind the others.

The collabs are usually tight fits or at least aggressively tapered, but I'd contend that this is because the shop knows its customers. These are the cuts which, across all brands, sell that much quicker than looser cut repro styles. Personally, I like the strong sense of style that SE has cultivated. Not to everyone's taste but you know if something fits with the shop's ''brand'' or not.

Agree here.  SE knows that a ton of Japanese brands love their repro fits so they just make sure they tailor the garment to appeal to the Western buyers.  Like it sounds like with their latest Strike Gold collab they've realized that the Japanese manufacturers are missing out on these "lifters cut" jeans so they're working with TSG to make a pair.  Personally I think its great.  Just like how I love my SE x IH jacket because its a Type-3 which is actually long enough in the body to be functional.

I used to rotate jeans but I've found it a lot more rewarding to focus on just wearing one pair until those hit a year of wear (my 3Sixteen ST-120x, close to nine months' wear now.) It's tempting to wear a bunch of different jeans at the same time but since evo is a huge part of why I wear raw denim, it just seems like it makes more sense to focus on wearing one pair at a time. Most of my favorite faded pairs I've seen have been worn by guys who exclusively focused on one pair for a long period of time.

It feels much easier to do this now compared to the past when I was constantly trying to find the "ultimate" combination of a good fit/fabric/details. I'm satisfied with my current jeans and don't particularly feel like I've got to buy any new pairs for a long time to come (though I'm looking forward to starting on my 3Sixteen RH15s in the fall.)

almost every collab self edge does is geared towards skinny people who wear their pants too tight. 

That's why the straight-tapered fad (shift?) has been so great. Finally there are fashionably tapered jeans out there that don't become jeggings in smaller sizes.

But eventually the fashion will change, and maybe everyone will be wearing sensible 60s cuts again. Or JNCOs. Who knows.

I feel naked without one. I have Hollows and Corter bracelets in leather and copper, switch between them often, but without a watch I feel like I've forgotten something. I think its interesting that denim companies are doing collabs to create watches that suit their aesthetic. Often its just a strap change but it can make for a great look. Most of the watches are huge though, I cant deal with that much weight on my wrist. 

What do you guys think? Light thin watch, nicely balanced, or a chunky beast? 

I can't leave the house without a watch on. For work or with a shirt I wear a thin formal watch, casual or in a tshirt I wear chunkier, divers watch (SKX007J) or a watch on a nato strap

I used to rotate jeans but I've found it a lot more rewarding to focus on just wearing one pair until those hit a year of wear (my 3Sixteen ST-120x, close to nine months' wear now.) It's tempting to wear a bunch of different jeans at the same time but since evo is a huge part of why I wear raw denim, it just seems like it makes more sense to focus on wearing one pair at a time. Most of my favorite faded pairs I've seen have been worn by guys who exclusively focused on one pair for a long period of time.

It feels much easier to do this now compared to the past when I was constantly trying to find the "ultimate" combination of a good fit/fabric/details. I'm satisfied with my current jeans and don't particularly feel like I've got to buy any new pairs for a long time to come (though I'm looking forward to starting on my 3Sixteen RH15s in the fall.)

I have gone the other way. I used to wear one pair for a min of a year before i would wash let alone think about rotating another pair into the mix. These days though i am rotating between Samurai x DMO710, UES400t, ONI. Samurai s5000bk and a pair of black/grey IH's which from what i have read won't fade which is actually nice as i love the colour. 

I think it helps that the UES, ONI and black Sams are well worn. Not sure i could rotate 4 fresh pairs. 

As far as future pairs i am only really thinking about black denim or overdyed 

Wearing a watch annoys me when I'm using a keyboard, so I had to take it off when using a computer, and since I use a computer for most of the day, I had the watch off more than on, so it became pointless to own a watch for me, especially since smartphones came into existence

Wearing a watch annoys me when I'm using a keyboard, so I had to take it off when using a computer, and since I use a computer for most of the day, I had the watch off more than on, so it became pointless to own a watch for me, especially since smartphones came into existence

I have this exact same issue, i have a few watches that I never wear (maybe once every two months when i go out somewhere and need to spice up my wardrobe with a watch) 

I love watches for their design & craftmanship, but can't stand the feeling of wearing one (in fact all kinds of jewellery). And I don't ever miss having one in this time and age.

Yeah, denimio is exploding with Burgus Plus & Jelado. Just imagine they'd do the same with the FH range. I have very mixed feelings however. Seems like there's a denim amazon rising, with potential to run down a lot of established stores (not only brick & mortar) that supportet the "scene" over the years. Denim becoming mainstream finally shows its bad side. I somehow miss the old days.

Edited by Max Power

While I will always support certain B&M stores due to the service and knowledge and ability to try on (Rivet and Hide will always be my go to for big purchases) I think we're a being a bit spoilt in our codemnation of Denimio. Sure they can be a bit cheesy and over the top but I can put up with that for the good prices, quick shipping, good communication and returns policy!

We've all spent a lot of money and time scouring sites via Google translate buying stuff that's wrong or doesn't turn up. Times are changing and if someone had offered us a denimio type store 5-10 years ago we'd have jumped at it.

I think denim is at a saturation point and in the mainstream now but that will pass, but are any of us going to change because of it? Our WAYWT pics will probably look the same for years to come.

I think denimio has been an awesome influence within the denim world, bringing the Rakuten experience to a more comfortable setting (it was just a matter of time until it happened IMO), the more people that are into denim and japanese clothing the MORE stores will be opening up and providing an awesome service.  We will have more products, a wider range of products, more vintage pieces, more street-wear inspired denim items, cool pieces from Kapital and Visvim, and who knows what else. 

Denimio has always provided an awesome service, great customer service, great shipping, and now more products than ever

Self Edge has opened up a new store in Mexico, Standard and Strange and Rivet and Hide seem to being doing just as well as ever. Sydney has a new denim store called Blueworks opened up to increase the competition with Corlection here. I for one think the denim industry is booming, no one is going to be run down by an online business if they can continue to provide the level of service that someone going into a boutique store would expect. 

Edited by karanimal