Levi's Vintage Clothing

Made in Bulgaria seems pretty disappointing. I know that something being made in the USA doesn't necessarily mean it's of higher quality, but it would have been nice to continue cutting/sewing the rigid pieces in the US. I mean, the price increase and different denim origin don't really add any sort of appeal to LVC jeans anymore. Maybe I'm being silly... I don't know.

None of it makes me personally want to add a LVC piece to my collection. I like the look of the 1966 501 rigid but there seem to be plenty other options once you've busted up into that price range. I'll be sticking with Japanese options looks like. 

Levi’s CEO, Chip Bergh, was airbrushed out of this image for fear it would hurt sales but the fact is that Levis joined the Dark Side when they shuttered ‘555’.

As @LuckiestRacoon says above...there are so many superior JP denims at this price point.

00805C7B-C7B1-44E4-978C-346797B804AB.jpeg

Edited by Pedro

@Pedro It's funny because I've worn but never owned Levi's jeans... I was sold on the concept of buying "expensive" jeans by way of the quality and cool factor of raw denim. The stories/history about denim are really intriguing but totally new to me. Levi's IS an anagram for evils though... I just jumped over to a random site to look at that 1966 501 rigid - looks really cool but ~250 for 12 oz. denim... and then looking at @propellerbeanie's comment again has me naively wondering where the appeal is/ if I should personally buy Levi's in the future.       

Edited by LuckiestRacoon
grammar

I know it's not always easy to do this with more limited items, but the cost of LVC has never been a huge factor since I've always just waited for the one sale of the year (usually November/December) where they don't exclude LVC items at 40% off.

8 hours ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

i am with VivaMarlon, and since i am hunter for the range i always find pieces via ebay at very reasonable prices.

Those sales have not always had my size available and ebay no longer has the abundance of raw LVC denim with tags. This will only get worse in the near future and we will also see more non-LVC listed as LVC now with the marketing decision to bring back the Big “E” on non-LVC denim. In fact, Ebay is already getting these mislabeled LVC by either accident or intent?

Edited by Pedro

Yeah, it used to be relatively easy to find a variety of styles and sizes on brand new with tags LVC stuff on ebay, I agree that it'll be much harder to do that now though.  I was at the Rose Bowl Flea Market here in Los Angeles recently and found a guy selling bins full of LVC, mostly 1954 strangely.  I actually found a pair of 1955s in my size for $150, I don't know why I didn't buy them cause that's what I'm holding out for on the next sale anyway.  Knowing now that current versions might not even be Made in USA anymore definitely makes me regret not buying them even more considering that his stock was probably older seasons.

Bought a pair of one wash 55’s off eBay for $90 that were practically new. They’re made in turkey and have already ripped in multiple places and tbh I reach for my new pair of STF’s that I bought at Macy’s a month ago.  

I think the made in the USA is not a direction that Levis seem to be worrying about right now. Talking to reps it seems the company is pushing its eco-friendly agenda and also investing heavily on laser technology. Which will basically allow people to customise and fade a pair of jeans in the shop sort of like Nike ID.  So where the jean is actually made and from what cotton seems like a secondary concern.

4 hours ago, Ciabatta said:

Bought a pair of one wash 55’s off eBay for $90 that were practically new. They’re made in turkey and have already ripped in multiple places and tbh I reach for my new pair of STF’s that I bought at Macy’s a month ago.  

The V2 1966 looked absolutely identical to the older Cone models. Impossible to say that these were not made of the same denim in the same factory and sewn by the same person on the same day.

Origin of clothing is also a consideration for me when I buy it but can't say I think to much about it in the long run.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:28 PM, kicks79 said:

I think the made in the USA is not a direction that Levis seem to be worrying about right now. Talking to reps it seems the company is pushing its eco-friendly agenda and also investing heavily on laser technology. Which will basically allow people to customise and fade a pair of jeans in the shop sort of like Nike ID.  So where the jean is actually made and from what cotton seems like a secondary concern.

None of this current business model appears to be of value to the SuFu community. (EDIT: the LVC community).

Eco-friendly is the new dry dying process that conserves water?

Edited by Pedro

@Pedro Well, with respect I think the Sufu community probably make up about .001% of Levis global sales, so I don't think they are really marketing towards us :D 

I'm not 100% sure but yes I believe it has to do with the dying process, also eliminating chemicals in the washing and distressing of jeans. 

LVC was always a flagship range to stress the company's heritage. And they've done a lot of great items; many of which have been copied by Japanese boutique brands. But I suspect right now the company is focused on profits, simplifying supply chains, and the big picture of the brand worldwide, given the recent stock flotation.

or maybe they are trying to shift what a LVC customer/consumer is (getting it nearer the 'made and crafted' line)? (and pushing whatever are more pressing priorities with eco [use of water / chemicals] trending over ethical [labor conditions / cotton source]... as I poorly understand it the two don't always operate via the same corporate co-ordinates...)

agreeing with @Paul T that LVC has made some pieces that led the way at points...

personally I just want the triple pleat jkt in a well sourced gingham but really don't want laser cutting or in-store pre-fading options...

Another confirmation that the denim now comes from Japan

On another note, I just wore my LVC 1976 yesterday and I really have to say they are great pair of jeans. The fit is a bit strange with the high front rise in comparison to the lower back rise and the taper starts pretty low on the leg so the jeans are very wide at the knees. But the denim is just great and not boring at all: hairy, a tad irregular with a steel-blue indigo hue.

• 2 weeks later...