The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful, @UkeNo. Collect produces some of my favorite non-repro fabrics. Such great indigo tones as they wash and fade. Really good texture while still soft to wear when new.

• 4 weeks later...

Motor “new vintage” old baggy jeans, just out of the wash. I’ve had them since last November I think but only started wearing them after the tcb contest was done. They are my widest pair of pants and they evolve very different than anything I had before. Will be interesting to see how they’ll be in the future. 

1E2C76DA-4BC5-4E89-B59E-A46E479DECDE.jpeg

56F5415F-7A11-4AEB-A697-34A17AD5DCA5.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think it's probably less the denim itself and more the treatment (where in the contest a lot of people washed + tumbled their jeans all the time.) There's this sort of thing that happens to denim when it's tumble dried a bunch, the way the seams pucker and crinkle and have this accompanying contrast around the coin pocket, waistband, etc that looks very dad-jeans to me, and I feel like I'm seeing the characteristics of the washing/tumbling more than the denim itself. This is one reason why I wash sparsely, aside from Sick Fadez Contrast, my jeans never develop that sort of characteristic. But it all comes down to personal preference I guess, obviously some people here like that look and certain types of denim with marble characteristics (WH Banner, Denim Bridge fabrics) seem to reward that type of treatment.

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/12/2022 at 4:34 PM, Cold Summer said:

I think it's probably less the denim itself and more the treatment (where in the contest a lot of people washed + tumbled their jeans all the time.) There's this sort of thing that happens to denim when it's tumble dried a bunch, the way the seams pucker and crinkle and have this accompanying contrast around the coin pocket, waistband, etc that looks very dad-jeans to me, and I feel like I'm seeing the characteristics of the washing/tumbling more than the denim itself. This is one reason why I wash sparsely, aside from Sick Fadez Contrast, my jeans never develop that sort of characteristic. But it all comes down to personal preference I guess, obviously some people here like that look and certain types of denim with marble characteristics (WH Banner, Denim Bridge fabrics) seem to reward that type of treatment.

I've been summoned! :laugh:

Of course, I'm a proponent of washing one's jeans in regular intervals both for the health of the fabric, and since I've always preferred "vintage" fades overall. Heck, I even like the $20 over tumbled Wrangler dad-jeans look! 

70CB158E-511B-42BF-B10F-6EE9FD1B7697-82169-00001A917935CA00.jpg

In my experience, I've never really had much trouble with the integrity of the fabric from washing at 2~4 month intervals on most of my pairs. What seems most affected is the stitching - if it's 100% cotton, infrequent washing seems to lead to vastly more breakage, while similar jeans washed often seem to have little issue with thread integrity, at least for a while. However, I have pretty slim thighs for my waist size, so there's less stress/wear and tear at the crotch, maybe counteracting the effects of less washing in my case. Interesting to me how all these factors interconnect to make each pair of broken-in jeans unique from one person to the next.

1 hour ago, Broark said:

These look great, how long have you been wearing these roughly?
Inspired me to start wearing my pair more regularly. :D

Thanks B - I honestly don’t know how long I’ve worn them, maybe 40-50 days? I tend not to keep track, I get that process for competitions and stuff but generally it’s a pointless exercise for me. I just rotate through my denims randomly wearing whatever pair I think looks best with whatever other stuff I’m putting on.

4 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

They look more like they’ve been worn for 6 months than 1.5!

It’s not been 40-50 straight days - but probably 40-50 occasions maybe a little bit more but I doubt it - I’ve been wearing too much other stuff for that to be the case … although I did wear them for a couple of weeks constantly while I was helping fix up my pals’ shop; there was a fair bit of sweaty development then - lots of crouching and kneeling (both knees had no fading before I started that)

5 hours ago, Broark said:

I hear 'ya Duke, the days of counting wears are long behind me. A rough estimate is all I was after!

It’s the same denim as the other stuff so you’ll know how it can evolve. 

I tend never to get any of that ‘honeycomb’ fading but because of what I said to Maynard and because they’re slim around the knee down there’s a bit of that going on - but not much really.

I always wear out the back pockets quickly because I’ve usually got my phone in one and wallet in the other - plus my arse is well built :laugh2: 

• 3 weeks later...