SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I'm new to raw denim. I've wanted a nice pair of jeans for 3 or so years, but I've been waiting for my body size to stop fluctuating and I think I'm finally ready.

What would you guys recommend for a first jean? I'm looking for a cut similar to the Levi 511. I like the Eternal 811's and the stuff from Momotaro all looks really nice. Samurai is really nice too, but they have so many cuts that it's kinda intimidating to choose a jean.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Where can I find a decent waist button suspender brace? Saw some Stronghold ones on Cultizm but the shade of lime green they had was horrible and no other colourways... recommendations superdenim?

if you are located in EU, volls.de has the blue Stronghold suspenders. Cultizm used to have beige also, perhaps you can ask them if they will be available again.

I'm not sure I can go through 1000+ pages to check for this but, how do denim mills get different weights(8oz, 12oz, 16oz, etc)?

Is it in the way the denim is loomed or is the cotton used in different weights just naturally thicker?

Posted this in another thread, but it got locked, so I thought I'd ask in here. Anyone know anything more about these? ANY information would be much appreciated!

Ran across another pair of weird denim that I haven't been able to find much information on. These are a pair of Levi's from what I believe to be the 80s (based on my limited knowledge). As you can see from the pictures, they're light grey / lighter grey pinstriped denim, 100% cotton, super duper slim cut, odd maroon shimmery Levi's tag, usual front riveting, with a Levi's 42 zipper (I'm assuming this came directly after the Talon 42 line, maybe not).

At any rate, here they are. 34x34 and when I (6'6" and 190 pounds) tried them on, they were incredibly tight. They're wicked jeans, I'm sure someone knows a bit more about them...

4851187525_60e4a4b941_b.jpg

4851803338_5c5cf3abd3_z.jpg

4851803232_b5985d1b93_z.jpg

4851802942_a3246e31ee_z.jpg

4851186751_4c7dbd9e04_z.jpg

4851802800_d07ec8c789_z.jpg

4851803232_b5985d1b93_z.jpg

do any of you veterans know if there's a "leather goods" thread or anything of the sort? i know there's the belts, and tanner goods threads, but is there anything more generally about leather goods? couldn't find anything via supersearch

yeah, i saw both of those. i was considering starting a leather goods thread in the superdenim forum rather than the supershopper one. bad idea?

yeah, i saw both of those. i was considering starting a leather goods thread in the superdenim forum rather than the supershopper one. bad idea?
^ done..

not sure how your thread is any different than the 2 that are already started regardless if they are in the denim thread or not.

seems like your post is more "Leathercrafting Creations: PYC "

yeah, it is pretty similar to that thread. i guess i just thought maybe it'd be more convenient to have one in here.. i dunno, i suppose it'll just die off if that's not the case though.

Question: Would you pay upwards to $325-350 for a pair of jeans that was completely hand made (talking denim hand woven on non-automated looms, hand dyed, etc.etc.) in the USA?

i have no qualms about paying that much for a pair if it justifies the price in terms of looks, quality as well as workmanship. in fact i would very much rather pay for something made this way, if it helps to kickstart this person's/company's business. it personally gives me a sense of satisfaction helping that small start-up grow. assuming that it is a small start-up of course.

@aho- yeah, I'd be fine with that. The price isn't that much more than most of the denim we discuss around here anyway, and totally hand made is more interesting to me than the automated stuff. I'm also a fan of the small companies that are trying to keep American textile traditions alive; I grew up in NC and most of my relatives worked in mills at one time or another. It was sad to watch it all disappear.

Are there any recommendations for what I should look at in the $2-300 price range?

I've tried on imperial dukes and some 3sixteens and I'm leaning towards the imperials. I haven't tried on anything else in my price range, but want to know more. I was looking at the blueingreen website and there's a lot of denim there in my price range (does anyone know more about this contest?: http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=7350&category_id=&manufacturer_id=38&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28 ), but I don't know much about them. Many of the brands look familiar from browsing the forums (momotaro, eternal, samurai, sugarcane, studio d'artisan etc.) so i don't know where to begin

[edited for clarity]

Well, both Imperial and 3sixteen make nice jeans, but what you should get kinda depends on what you're looking for. That price range gives you lots of options. Do you want a slim fit jean, something more traditional? Do you want really heavy or really light weight denim? You want black jeans or blue? Lots of choices. If you live in a place with a really good denim shop, for example, Self Edge and Blue In Green, if you live in NYC or San Francisco, your best bet would be to go there and try some stuff on. Otherwise, some more info would be helpful in getting a recommendation.

Oh, and the contest has its own thread here on SuFu:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=212951

Well, both Imperial and 3sixteen make nice jeans, but what you should get kinda depends on what you're looking for. That price range gives you lots of options. Do you want a slim fit jean, something more traditional? Do you want really heavy or really light weight denim? You want black jeans or blue? Lots of choices. If you live in a place with a really good denim shop, for example, Self Edge and Blue In Green, if you live in NYC or San Francisco, your best bet would be to go there and try some stuff on. Otherwise, some more info would be helpful in getting a recommendation.

Oh, and the contest has its own thread here on SuFu:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=212951

I actually tried on the imperials and 3sixteens at self edge in SF, tried some skulls on too but im too thick for their fit. I guess i'm looking for a slim fit, but its hard to say what looks slim on me. i liked the fit of the imperial dukes, if that helps. Either that or slimmer probably

i don't really have a preference on weight, as long as its a good pair of jeans

regarding color, i prefer darker blues.

I wish there were more stores that i could try different pants on at :(

i hope this helps

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic