SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Just saw these in today's Heddels email. I think they look quite good. Maybe too tapered for some folks here. But, they had to do an exposed selvedge edge at the coin pocket. That ruins the whole thing for me. 

https://skinneramericangoods.com/products/mens-standard-fit-jeans?ktk=d2Ezc21QLWIzZGIyMmFlNzI5&mc_cid=eb38a80578&mc_eid=12f42e98d4 

It's caused by moisture, more often than not indoor drying, showers, cooking ect.. moisture can't escape through double glazing and sits in the fabric of the building.. try and keep your clothing from touching external walls which can condense, open your windows, keep jeans which you hardly wear in airtight Zip-Loc bags

fullsizeoutput_36ed.thumb.jpeg.9909e8791a1370f0de2ce30c70fb3995.jpeg

..open your wardrobe doors frequently to allow airflow, have spaces between your garments, dry it out with a dehumidifier every week or two through the colder months (you'll be surprised mow much water you extract) or use bowls of salt to draw the moisture.

I lived in a 16th century house with no dampcourse for 20yrs so mould was an ongoing battle.. the only way of effectively removing it from your jeans is washing them then if you're not going to wear them.. try not to handle them too much before you put them in the wardrobe, the bacteria transfer from your hands acts like a petri dish for growth.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

A 40° wash will be fine, you can add a small cup of spirit vinegar if you like but i don't think it's necessary.. only use bleach if the mould is growing on your walls, i used to use a 1/10  bleach/water solution to wipe the mould off the walls in places where air couldn't circulate, behind the headboard, behind the wardrobe and such, it works like an anti-fungicide and stops it growing back for 6 months or so but don't use it on your clothing.

Make sure everything is bone dry before putting it in the wardrobe..

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Just found Dearborn canvas (winter) quilted lining 

Carhartt WIP OG Detroit Jacket (Winter) in Black (aged canvas)

Funny to think I used to be able to get these for about $50 for a 2nd at the Carhartt outlet store. Still stand behind my statement that this is an iconic jacket. 

Edited by mpukas

Now they make not just one, but four versions... in a myriad of colors no less... 

Dearborn canvas (spring) 

Carhartt WIP Detroit Jacket (Spring) in Black (rigid)

Dearborn canvas (winter)  blanket lining (this is the version I've had) 

Carhartt WIP Detroit Jacket (Winter) in Black (rigid)

Norco denim (spring) 

Carhartt WIP OG Detroit Jacket (Spring) in Black (rigid)

I have to admit I really like the black denim version. Might have to cop... 

On 2/8/2024 at 6:13 PM, unders said:

@mpukas spotted these the other day on Klaxon: 

IMG_2221.thumb.jpeg.67cc69384933d3e64f64ff17b4e26c52.jpeg

https://klaxon-store.com/en-jp/products/sc15401

That's a lovely jacket at a lovely price. Shame they've not got much in the way of sizes left.

Not looked on Klaxon before either, thanks for the heads up!

Rodeo Bros also sells the Sugar Cane jacket. They are mostly sold out too. 

I've purchased many times from Rodeo Bros & Klaxon in the past, when Rakuten was active. Both are great stores. 

12 hours ago, mpukas said:

Now they make not just one, but four versions... in a myriad of colors no less... 

Dearborn canvas (spring) 

Carhartt WIP Detroit Jacket (Spring) in Black (rigid)

Dearborn canvas (winter)  blanket lining (this is the version I've had) 

Carhartt WIP Detroit Jacket (Winter) in Black (rigid)

Norco denim (spring) 

Carhartt WIP OG Detroit Jacket (Spring) in Black (rigid)

I have to admit I really like the black denim version. Might have to cop... 

They also have them with quilted lining ;) can tell from experience that the new blanket lining is rather thin and flimsy, not as warm as it used to be...

Can anyone recommend flannel shirts with a similar weight to Iron Heart UHF?

Ive got a couple of the UHF and love the fabric for its weight and warmth but never fully liked the fit or the fact the collar seems to spread and flatten out.

Flat Head also makes some extremely heavy flannels. The second version of their houndstooth flannel from 2013 onward (which has a larger pattern than the original) feels very much like an IH flannel. 3Sixteen has also made some very heavy ones. 

Either of these can be found fairly frequently secondhand, for a whole lot less than Iron Heart as well. 

UES is very well made and has nice patterns but they’re some of the worst fitting shirts I’ve worn, with large bulky collars and huge necks, just looked awful on me. But your case may vary. 

16 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Buyee, ZenMarket, From Japan are 3 popular ones

From the above, which provide the quickest response and have the better customer service in your opinion?

14 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

FromJapan seems to be the last one offering it (that I know of). You can put yourself the value you want on the invoice.

You can in the Eu but not anymore if you're in the UK.. i used FJ a couple of weeks ago, luckily it was only 80 quids worth of bike parts.. i screen grabbed each phase of the checkout process and sent them to @indigoeagle just saying "what the hell's going on here?" i tried checking out through various shipping methods.. Eventually settling on FedEx but there was never an option to adjust value.

They shipped at full value and it was clearly printed on the docs but i'm yet to receive an invoice for border charges.. so hopefully, as Wesley Snipes noted in White Man can't Jump.. "the sun shines on a dogs arse somedays"

What about SuToCorp?.. i stopped using them a decade ago because their service wasn't brilliant but they would always mark down the value.

I think the idea is that for items under £135, the retailer is supposed to collect VAT at the point of sale and send it on to the UK government. For items over that amount, VAT and duties (£135 is the cut-off for duty) are collected at the border instead (i.e. via your courier). So if your Japanese retailer doesn't collect VAT on an item under £135 (which in my experience, they don't), it won't be collected further down the line either. But I'm no expert, this is just what I understand to be the case and it tallies with my experience. There's some helpful info here: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jan/21/eu-website-purchases-the-import-charges-uk-customers-have-to-pay

Edited by tjsma