SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

No - they won’t shrink very much - just a little. You will probably cause a fair bit of damage to the patch, although I doubt you’ll lose that much indigo you’ll get an overall lightening 

How do we make a ‘sticky’ - on the forum (steady Maynard)? This type of question is asked on a regular basis.

Edited by Duke Mantee

16 hours ago, tooth said:

@CSL depending on what size you are, Brogue (US based Freewheelers stockist) still has a 16.

Brogue: FW Skagit

I’ve ordered a few FW pieces from them. Fast shipping; I can recommend.

Thanks, tooth. Unfortunately I procrastinated while Brogue had my size in stock. I did the 'I really don't need another shirt' psychology on myself. I'll keep an eye on yahoo auctions Japan.

I've been to Brogue btw. Very nice shop. You get a shot of single malt scotch with your clothing purchase.

45 minutes ago, CSL said:

Thanks, tooth. Unfortunately I procrastinated while Brogue had my size in stock. I did the 'I really don't need another shirt' psychology on myself. I'll keep an eye on yahoo auctions Japan.

I've been to Brogue btw. Very nice shop. You get a shot of single malt scotch with your clothing purchase.

I’m assuming when you buy a few items you’d be doing so as individual purchases and make a day of it?

17 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

No - they won’t shrink very much - just a little. You will probably cause a fair bit of damage to the patch, although I doubt you’ll lose that much indigo you’ll get an overall lightening 

How do we make a ‘sticky’ - on the forum (steady Maynard)? This type of question is asked on a regular basis.

Thanks! As you said, not much shrinkage at all. But, wearing them now and they feel perfect, more so than fresh from the shelf. Although I guess they’ll stretch out a bit anyway.

The tumblr made a long horizontal folding line och each leg though. Ironed them out and hopefully they wont come back.

Man, imagine if these pants were available in 35.

Edited by Raglan

Hadn't heard of Brogue. They seem to carry a good selection of less-seen brands, and they're just an hour or so from me—looking forward, now, to checking them out next time I'm in the area

but, meanwhile, that makes me realize: I didn't know that Freewheelers had any US stockists. Are there others that have flown under my radar? I'm surprised they don't run into issues with the union tags (but I guess they're not that visible, and don't show up in any sort of marketing)

There was one other shop carrying FW that went under, HwyBlues in New Orleans.
They had a small run of inventory but announced that they were closing down within the first year of opening or so.
No other ones that I know of outside of Brogue.

22 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

I’m assuming when you buy a few items you’d be doing so as individual purchases and make a day of it?

Yes. Exactly. 

Smart maybe, but that's broadly considered a pretty shitty thing to do unless you're supporting the shop through other means…

I think having a local shop to try things on at is well worth the markup, when you're figuring out whether a new brand (or a new style) works well for you. Sure, I'll usually transition to buying direct once I've figured out sizing and all that, but it's often cheaper to try on a shirt from a new brand and pay a 40% markup if it works or $0 if it doesn't than it is to pay full price plus shipping and take the hit on trying to resell it later if it doesn't work out—not to mention the whole hassle. That sort of service / convenience is money well spent, as far as I'm concerned.

11 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Smart maybe, but that's broadly considered a pretty shitty thing to do unless you're supporting the shop through other means…

I think having a local shop to try things on at is well worth the markup, when you're figuring out whether a new brand (or a new style) works well for you. Sure, I'll usually transition to buying direct once I've figured out sizing and all that, but it's often cheaper to try on a shirt from a new brand and pay a 40% markup if it works or $0 if it doesn't than it is to pay full price plus shipping and take the hit on trying to resell it later if it doesn't work out—not to mention the whole hassle. That sort of service / convenience is money well spent, as far as I'm concerned.

I’m thinking more why it seems to be (primarily) Freewheelers garments that are marked up to such an extent. I don’t see the same action on Warehouse, Sugar Cane etc.

2 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

I’m thinking more why it seems to be (primarily) Freewheelers garments that are marked up to such an extent. I don’t see the same action on Warehouse, Sugar Cane etc.

Because WHs aren't that cool, and SCs even less so. I sold my SCs and I don't regret it at all. I like WH though.

14 minutes ago, Geeman said:

Perhaps for its perceived exclusivity/rarity?  Retailers selling it on the fact its not as well known as Warehouse etc?

Either that or FW dictating the prices prior to distribution. 

Freewheelers definitely produce in smaller quantities than say Warehouse, but I’m not sure there’s an ‘exclusivity’ factor being applied - although I think you might be (partially) correct on the pricing aspect - it seems to me (some) retailers outside of Japan are buying at Japanese retail prices ie the price we would pay … and then adding their markups 

Edited by Duke Mantee

The SC42966 (first pair that popped up on their page) is listed at $265  at Self Edge vs. ¥20k JDM

Brogue has the 1947 601xx listed at $315 vs. ¥33k JDM

Seems like an appreciably bigger markup for SC than for Freewheelers? Maybe a US vs. EU thing

19 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Freewheelers definitely produce in smaller quantities than say Warehouse, but I’m not sure there’s an ‘exclusivity’ factor being applied - although I think you might be (partially) correct on the pricing aspect - it seems to me (some) retailers outside of Japan are buying at Japanese retail prices ie the price we would pay … and then adding their markups 

I was thinking more along of how well known they are outside of Japan or by fans of clothing from Japan. WH, Resolute, SDA etc have quite a wide range of stockists whereas FW have fewer therefore may be marketed as more exclusive /premium. 

Anyone got experience of Danner Mountain Light or Paraboot Avoriaz?  Or, in fact, interested in alternatives that are comfortable for walking and standing (watching sports in the rain and cold), offer protection and look good with jeans.  Thanks. 

On 9/24/2023 at 7:15 AM, MJF9 said:

Anyone got experience of Danner Mountain Light or Paraboot Avoriaz?  Or, in fact, interested in alternatives that are comfortable for walking and standing (watching sports in the rain and cold), offer protection and look good with jeans.  Thanks. 

This isn’t so stylish, and I’m showing my general lack of interest in most higher end shoes but Sherpa lined Blundstones are hard to beat - warmer, more comfortable, less expensive - in this regard. 

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic