SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Alright I bought a pair of ST-100x - Slim Leg (http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=437) and I was wondering how I should presoak them to get the shrinking out of the way. I've read through the superdenim guide and everyone says something different. I know they won't shrink so much, but I got them hemmed so that the presoak gets the inseam to an almost perfect length.

So, my question is, how should I presoak these? In a bathtub, insideout, in hot water? What is the right way?

Easiest way: turn inside out, soak in a hot tub, squeeze and hang up to dry.

Could also put 'm on, sit in the tub with 'm and let dry on you, that way you will also start breaking them in.

Alright I bought a pair of ST-100x - Slim Leg (http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=437) and I was wondering how I should presoak them to get the shrinking out of the way. I've read through the superdenim guide and everyone says something different. I know they won't shrink so much, but I got them hemmed so that the presoak gets the inseam to an almost perfect length.

So, my question is, how should I presoak these? In a bathtub, insideout, in hot water? What is the right way?

They're Sanforized, so shrinkage should be minimal (Self Edge is saying 1/2" at the waist and inseam) .

If you want to soak them, go ahead. The water temp, duration of soak, and whether they're inside out or not should make no difference. I'd only worry about turning them inside out when running them through a washing machine.

Would my stretched jeans shrink the maximum amount with only a dryer treatment? Or do I have to soak them first? I've never had them in the dryer before but I lost some weight and I wouldn't mind some shrinking, but I'd rather not wash since they aren't really dirty.

Soak and then hang dry. That will shrink them with the minimal amount of indigo loss (which I'm sure is what you're concerned about).

Here's a funny one...

Either my memory, or the search function, and perhaps both are letting me down here. Anybody remember what thread it was in, or even better, who first made a comment about a Rickson crewneck sweatshirt, a pair of 1947s, and some Alden 405s being a super simple, super classic wardrobe staple? I remember coming across this numerous times so I imagine it's either in the Shoes That Look Better With Age... or maybe the Rickson or Sugarcane threads, but I can't for the life of me find it. Also, can't remember who it was that said it, but if I was a betting man, I'd guess it was GregNYC or Coleslawyum.

If anybody remembers this, or has any insight that might help me track down the quote, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd shoot me a DM.

Thanks in advance.

does anybody wear their still damp, freshly washed jeans? does it do anything or is it just wearing wet pants?

i'm sure this question has been asked before, but what's the preferred way to clean a stain on raw denim without washing? Using a bunch of water and scrubbing usually makes the stain go away, but it also wipes the indigo off and leaves a faded mark. any solutions are am i fucked?

i'm sure this question has been asked before, but what's the preferred way to clean a stain on raw denim without washing? Using a bunch of water and scrubbing usually makes the stain go away, but it also wipes the indigo off and leaves a faded mark. any solutions are am i fucked?

Just wash them man. You can try and spot clean, but if the stain is bad enough to leave a faded mark from cleaning it you should just wash them.

I'm soaking my denim right now and was wondering if i should put them in the dryer for maximum shrinkage. I was hoping for a very fitted / skinny fit and they came a bit looser than I wanted.

DON'T put them in the dryer!

You might get some extra shrinkage because that tends to leach out the last bits of sizeing and other resins, which help stabilise the fabric. But that effect is temporary, it might even help them stretch. Most crucially, along with the sizing, you will lose indigo, which is why denim mills like Cone advise against it.

For maximum shrinkage, wash at max temp, even 90 degrees Celsius won't lose much indigo, and is much less harmful than the dryer.

Dryers are also v wasteful in energy consumption. I would have thought we should have banished this obsession with them by now.

I know this is probably going to sound real noobish, but I was just wondering, if I had a couple pairs of jeans that were slightly too tight, what are the benefits of doing a cold soak besides getting the starch out, and making them easier to stretch out, as compared to what I usually do, a hot soak (70 - 80 degrees Celsius hot soak for 2-3 hours to get maximum shrinkage)

To me personally, I would probably like to get most, if not all the shrinkage out of the way so that I won't get a surprise a couple of washes down the road when my fades shift, or it's suddenly impossible to fit into my jeans. And I think most people, if not everyone, should get all the shrinkage out of the way before wearing their jeans. With that in mind, a cold soak doesn't seem to serve much purpose, at least to me.

Any thoughts?

And Paul T, I tried a hot wash at 90 degrees Celsius once, and I ended up with creases that refused to come out of my ROYs. Would there be a difference between a top-loader or side-loader in terms of creases happening? I used a side-loader the other time. Any particular method you'd recommend to avoid this, although if I remember correctly, you are not really concerned with the creases? In fact, I think you are the rare few who embraces them! :P

Well, in general I'd prefer no creases, but if they happen I live with it! Were your ROYs inside out?

I took my SDA out before the spin cycle, but I washed them right way round - which is what I've done generally, but without such extreme results. The more subtle lines on, say, LVC, I quite like, it's part of the character, but I'm not too keen on the heavier ones like the SDA, altho likely they'll diminish after another wash. I find duck is exactly the same, heavy marbling, but it seems to be less noticeable after a while.

There's sense to a hot soak first. I've cold soaked occasionally - the only advantage is you probably retain more starch, if you like that crisp feel.

cross post from how do jeans fit:

my dad is 45 (years old, for styling reference), 205-210lb, 6'2, 36 waist, 32 length. He's not into to anything slim fitting but wants a pair of starter raw denims. Help!

Greetings long time Levis wearer, first post. I've bought brand new 501 Levis (that sale they are currently running) for the first time in 12 years (bought used since then), and I am quite disappointed at how thin and light they are. From reading here, I can tell there are varying levels of thicker 501, but I still can't figure it out. Back then there were just 501s, 505s, and that's it. If you needed tapering, you went to a seamstress who would do it for $10.

So basically, what exact model(s) of Levis will be equivalent in weight to those stiff 501s I used to buy from Sears in 1984-98 for $25? If it is important, my size is 31W 30L. I've seen oz. weights and such, but I can't find what weight those 501s were.

cross post from how do jeans fit:

my dad is 45 (years old, for styling reference), 205-210lb, 6'2, 36 waist, 32 length. He's not into to anything slim fitting but wants a pair of starter raw denims. Help!

Measure a pair he likes to wear now and start looking at different jeans. There are plenty of brands to look at with different fits and denim characteristics to find ones he might be interested in.

Measuring Guide: http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=41

So I soaked my jeans and now they feel pretty bad. It's lost it's sheen and just feels nasty, like dried mud or something and feels a bit rougher. Is this normal? And how can I make them feel better. Pretty disappointed at the moment.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic