SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I've been burned on UES sizing proportions too many times to be particularly inclined to try them again. But Deluxeware looks great, I forgot all about them but they have some nice looking thermals with measurements that seem good to me, and a nice price too. Great suggestion!

Buzz Rickson's thermals are very good. I've cycled through a lot of BR stuff and the thermals are the item that has stuck over time. I wear 1 size smaller than my usual BR size. They are cheap (relatively) from Hinoya.

Can anyone share their experience with sizing yuketen's moccasin last? Yuketen and most stockists recommend taking brannock size. I have a wide food and a high instep, and I prefer a roomy toe and don't mind a little heel slip. Any advice? Save me from making a bad decision.

I think you’re more likely to want a half size below Brannock. Their standard moccasin sizing is wide and fairly high-volume—they never worked great for me, for that reason, but they may work much better for you. That said, nothing against Yuketen as a company, but if you’re looking for moccasins you’re much better off going with Russell.

How does your russell size compare to your yuketen size? I've owned russells but my experience with their quality control and customer service has been poor enough that I wouldn't buy from them again.

Either same size or a half size down from your Russell size in length. Same size in width, probably—but note that Russell’s standard width is D and Yuketen’s is E. 

8 hours ago, willi said:

Can anyone share their experience with sizing yuketen's moccasin last? Yuketen and most stockists recommend taking brannock size. I have a wide food and a high instep, and I prefer a roomy toe and don't mind a little heel slip. Any advice? Save me from making a bad decision.

I have a wide foot and high instep, and actually went with my normal size for the Yuketen kiltie bluchers. I have them in the Opera flesh out chestnut brown leather and though they were a touch narrow to begin with the leather is very soft and pliable, very very comfy shoes now.

I am a U.K. 8-8.5 (US 9-9.5) and took the Yuketens in a 9E. If I could have scored a 9EE I would have done but they are seemingly somewhat rare / perhaps custom order.

15 hours ago, Alec Leamas said:

I have a wide foot and high instep, and actually went with my normal size for the Yuketen kiltie bluchers.

By normal size, is that your brannock size, or relative to a specific last? I'm looking at the same leather.

@willi sorry, that’s a good question and I should have been clearer. I take a US8.5 in Red Wing Blacksmiths, a US8.5 in John Lofgren M43’s and a US8.5 in Alden’s Van last.

Honestly no idea what my Brannock size would be.

The leather is absolutely delightful! A real rich shade, lovely and soft too.

Edited by Alec Leamas

4 hours ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

Anyone owns mocs from quoddy and can perhaps share some sizing advice? 

I wear Red Wings in 10, Alden Barrie in 10.5.
I got some Quodys (Grizzly boots) in 10. But they are tight. 10.5 would be better.

Just a word of caution - i had some quoddy mocs (high tops w a crepe sole) that had basically zero structure in the heel cup, and led to the sole slipping to the outside of my heel and screwing up my walking posture for years after. i was 19 so not rly paying attention to those things at the time, but i would definitely not do it over again if i could!  Hopefully their newer models have a bit more structure.

Same, "S" hooks. These are 3D-printed. My OCD wants to color code them somehow. So far, my laziness has won out.

image.thumb.png.28a2879601005fc51f379ad7c2a9c19b.png

On 9/8/2024 at 8:53 PM, chicote said:

Just a word of caution - i had some quoddy mocs (high tops w a crepe sole) that had basically zero structure in the heel cup, and led to the sole slipping to the outside of my heel and screwing up my walking posture for years after. i was 19 so not rly paying attention to those things at the time, but i would definitely not do it over again if i could!  Hopefully their newer models have a bit more structure.

Thank you, I appreciate the comment. Might be an unpopular opinion here but I’ve been barefoot or wearing structure - less footwear for the past 8-10 years (other than the occasional PNW or Japanese boot that looks beautiful but is plainly uncomfortable and almost always ends up injuring me somehow), so I’ve been looking for a structureless shoe that also look nice (that’s pretty rare). 

^ This is interesting to me because basically, same. I’ve been running in unpadded/barefoot shoes for nearly 15 years now - totally changed my running posture for the better and alleviated any knee and back issues. It’s a reason I never fully got into the boots and still wear birks most of the time. The less in the sole the better, minus some protection. I generally don’t like the raised heel and hours with it hurts my back, if I could find nicer footwear with zero drop I’d be interested, but I’ve just never much like the moccasin aesthetic. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

7 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

^ This is interesting to me because basically, same. I’ve been running in unpadded/barefoot shoes for nearly 15 years now - totally changed my running posture for the better and alleviated any knee and back issues. It’s a reason I never fully got into the boots and still wear birks most of the time. The less in the sole the better, minus some protection. I generally don’t like the raised heel and hours with it hurts my back, if I could find nicer footwear with zero drop I’d be interested, but I’ve just never much like the moccasin aesthetic. 

I very much relate and agree. I’m really trying a new thing with quoddy mocs. I’ve no idea if I’ll like the style or not (making a trial run with a 40$ pair off of eBay). I have the barefoot Jim Green boot, they’re very functional, and comfortable. But lack a lot in looks I think. 

The Russell Vellies (sp?) are a great option for a zero-structure moc w/ a slimmer / more modern profile and a very low (but not zero) drop

They feel more barefoot than my Birks, a lot of the time

(Personally, I prefer at least a little structure, so they don’t get worn a ton—but they seem like great boots)

39 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Also a ‘Derby’ can come in many different styles since fundamentally it’s about the lacing or closure design

Yes, of course. I just mentioned derbies as a type of regular shoe. That is, not high boots, not loafers, not moccasines, etc.

Edited by Talan