Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

On 12/12/2020 at 3:19 PM, Double 0 Soul said:

I ride past a vintage shop on my way home from work (Thrift & Bits) which is full of trackies, 90's Berghaus gore and Replay jeans

https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/123658283_141323437725238_3899926020111818811_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=9e2e56&_nc_ohc=vJqKgpiiTFIAX-DMT00&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=64a60181f3b00d533d10c7def8d5815e&oe=5FFAEDFD

On 12/12/2020 at 7:17 PM, MJF9 said:

Trackies all the rage...

20201212_160953.jpg

lovely...

I regret getting rid of my track top collection...

a little late to the party, but do be aware Nigel Shafran's excellent portraits from 1990 of 'teenage precinct shoppers'

image.png.ef9fc7f7384cf031aea4bfb26138947b.png

and also, showed their stacking pix during flat lay hatred talk a while back - but here is a nice take on the flay lay via tracksuits via quilt like display...

image.png.d724608d8416f8f09e3dd66a50f32b2a.png

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

So I ask this online shop ‘how wide are your belts?’ - they only have a few, but no dimensional details are given.

A couple of days later I get the response ‘All the belts are made jean width standard, so you will not have any problem’

Make of that what you will ...

Damn that's lazy.. and that's just about the easiest thing to measure at the store.

It's not like when I get emails asking "Can I have the leg opening on XXXX jean in sizes 31, 32, and 33 if the jeans were hemmed to 30", 31", 32", and 33"?"

^ Probably not all laziness—the essence of the question may just have been lost in translation

If the question was interpreted as being about whether the belts were too wide, or something like that, the response would make some sense

41 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

^ Probably not all laziness—the essence of the question may just have been lost in translation

If the question was interpreted as being about whether the belts were too wide, or something like that, the response would make some sense

The shop in question has English as their first language. There’s no translation issues, @kiya nailed it ... and I’m disappointed because it comes on the back of my comments, in the FW thread, about this type of approach by western stores.

I had a similar experience, perhaps just a month ago, when I asked another shop (English first language) how a shoe sized and listed a good number of footwear I knew and the size that fitted me, in the hope of a comparison. The response was a numbing ‘I don’t wear any of your list’ (they actually sold some of them) ‘but you could order a couple of sizes and return the one that doesn’t fit’ - I just went elsewhere.

In the case of the belts, doesn’t it make you wonder why they couldn’t just add that simple piece of information on their website in the first place?

Edited by Duke Mantee

I've found this with the RMC store in London,  ask a size/shrinkage  question they respond to say check the size charts online. Its either lazy or they have no actual knowledge.  

If I'm spending 300 quid on a top, I want to buy from someone who knows what they are selling or cares enough to offer me genuine advice. 

They could learn a lot from R&H or SOAS for that matter. 

If Danny tells me to go with size X in XXXX brand I've learned to trust his advice and follow it. (At least twice in the past I've ordered other size and had to return,  now I just do as I'm told!):D

2 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Wild

Meh! that's nowt, check out this genius bit of retail, a couple of months ago I bought a print from a shop in London, i assumed it was free shipping but i was wrong, they quoted me £351.58 ($470) to ship it up to Sheff, what the flip! i had fuck all on at work so i decided to drive down to London and collect it myself, even taking into account a lost day's earnings + £50 fuel and £15 parking, i was still saving myself £100 ( we don't get paid much up'north :)

I arranged collection with one of the staff and made an appointment at the gallery for 11am, I got up at 6.30am and drove 4hrs down the motorway in pissing down rain to London, parked up outside the shop expecting a quick collection so i only stuck 20mins on the parking, knocked at the door of the gallery but for some reason the staff member clearly wasn't expecting me even though it was the same staff member who i made the appointment with the previous evening :rolleyes: the print was nowhere to be found, eventually the parking ran out and i had to move the car to another zone, they said that the manager was on their way to 'sort this mess out' i found a different parking zone and walked back to the gallery expecting to see the manager but after 1.5hrs they never fucking turned up, huff! so full of apologies they assured me that they would ship it up to Sheff at their cost, disappointed i asked to be kept informed regarding it's whereabouts and headed back up the motorway empty handed... alas this never happened and they failed to reply to my emails so i got in contact with the artist who got in contact with the galley owner, numerous emails and 2 more weeks passed till eventually the artist said, fuck this drama do you want me to make you another one free of charge "you might have to" said I but then 3 weeks after i drove down to London, they managed to ship it.
What a fucking farce! You couldn't make this shit up...

9 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

You were in London and didn’t knock for me? Some mate you are...

Sorry Martin, I was thinking about you (even more than usual) when I came off the M1 just north of your gaff, if we wern't socially distancing and it wasn't chucking it down we could've hooked up for jellied eels :)

1 hour ago, MJF9 said:

@Double 0 Soul after all that, I think we need a pic of that print of yours

...If i did, It would be a dead giveaway to the gallery in question, it transpired that the owner was a pretty decent chap, just let down by his staff who were use n'fucking ornament and once this whole debacle came to an end he posted me another ltd ed print by way of apology, it was pretty generous and compensated me for my day out which is why i'm not dragging their name through the mud on the interwebz, which is what they deserve.

..tell you what...would any of y'all contribute if i started a 'What's Hanging On Your Walls' thread, i like having a nosey in the background of your fit pics... It doesn't have to be artwork, a nice clock, cat calendar, an old mirror, Beswick ducks, what'evs?

Or even a more general ‘what’s hanging around in your gaff’ thread - you can then get what’s on floors as well as walls in one go? And cover those who have nothing on their walls

Edited by MJF9

52 minutes ago, smoothsailor said:

What else you got Martin?

I promise not to show my shop and the 100 plus paintings I made that hang there

is black mould not enough for you? :happy:

id quite like to see your studio.

Edited by Mr Black

10 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Ok, leave it with me.. i'll conjure something up over the xmas break..

What about household items or summat like that? So it could be a print on your wall, your favourite fork, whatever is part of your life for whatever reason. Better than woodchip, although I can definitely do you a good turn in woodchip.

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

What about household items or summat like that? So it could be a print on your wall, your favourite fork, whatever is part of your life for whatever reason. Better than woodchip, although I can definitely do you a good turn in woodchip.

Similar to this...

19 hours ago, MJF9 said:

Or even a more general ‘what’s hanging around in your gaff’ thread - you can then get what’s on floors as well as walls in one go? And cover those who have nothing on their walls

Although I bet there is somehow art in showing different white walls... as well as woodchip...