Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 3:54 PM, reallypeacedoff said:

Congrats B_F!

Not on the same scale but I picked up a new moto. Does anyone here ride as well?

image.thumb.jpeg.bf716f3035a85723301eb186c092b0af.jpeg

My ridesScreenshot_20240331-073702_Instagram.jpg.0964fdb7cea5d5dbb0fbe32cd89e9320.jpgFB_IMG_1711866531507.jpg.76d0e7666213fdcac52f65f8dce8006c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hope y'all have been doing well, been a bit busy lately as I was interviewing and landed a new job!
I turned in my notice last week and my boss (of almost 6 years) told me to hit the road so now I've got a bunch of time on my hands until my start date.

Any hobbies I should pick up in the next month? :laugh2:

I got made redundant about 6 months ago after 20+ years at the same company (I've got a new job,  start next week) and the downtime between roles has been great! 

I had to make a rule of no PlayStation till after 2pm though or I'd still be in my dressing gown playing games on the sofa when the wife got in from work!

9 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Congratulations @Geeman, is your new job something similar to your old one?

Similar,  still with links to information management,  secure data etc. 

I recently finished Septology. It’s about 700 pgs and one of my favorite things I’ve ever read.

Learning how to live well with downtime is a rare enough skill that doing just that seems like the ticket. 

Last idea is if you’ve got any space where you live, rip up (part of?) your lawn and plant native plants or pollinators. That’s an easy enough and rewarding hobby for sure. 

1 hour ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Last idea is if you’ve got any space where you live, rip up (part of?) your lawn and plant native plants or pollinators. That’s an easy enough and rewarding hobby for sure. 

Not a bad idea, we actually recently cleaned out some beds in our backyard for this exact purpose. We’re renting our place so not entirely sure how much we can do, but might clear out some more. It’s very rewarding!

8 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

do some travelling...

I've been tossing around the idea of a last minute solo trip to Japan, not sure if it's the best financial decision ever but would be the trip of a lifetime...

Just now, Broark said:

I've been tossing around the idea of a last minute solo trip to Japan, not sure if it's the best financial decision ever but would be the trip of a lifetime...

I support this decision. You’ll never again be this young with this much time off from work. Take the opportunity and go! It might cost a bit to get there, but the weak Yen will make things affordable once you arrive. I’ll bet Hoosiers would welcome a visit if you made it to Kyoto. It would definitely be the trip of a lifetime. 

31 minutes ago, Broark said:

Honestly, you could hit up all the stores and buy a few jeans and bring them back and sell on eBay to pay for the trip.

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Y'all aren't wrong, let's see what I can whip up in the next couple of days.
Found some cheap flights April 15th - 25th. More to come. :ph34r:

Be aware that Golden week is 29th April - 5th of May this year, just in case you thought of going later.
All of Japan will be on holiday and on the move, making accommodation much scarcer/ costly. 

I accidentally slipped into customs duty territory with an $820 purchase at merzbschwanen :( 

Guess I won't let that happen again. $170 down the drain for no reason.

I've got to go to an all-white party tonight. Not super psyched about the dress code.

On 3/11/2024 at 10:54 AM, reallypeacedoff said:

Congrats B_F!

Not on the same scale but I picked up a new moto. Does anyone here ride as well?

I used to ride a lot but I sold my bike a couple years ago.  I'm kind of too scared to get another. Dallas drivers have gotten noticeably insane.

I want an Africa twin next.

Edited by givemefive

16 minutes ago, Broark said:

Maybe I'm lucky but I've never been stung by US customs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm no expert but the amount is clothing over $800 I believe. Also depends on the country of origin.  And of course depends on whether the retailer lied for you or told the truth on the shipment billing. Germans go by the book I think :D I should have just made two smaller purchases. 

Edited by givemefive