Jump to content
beatle

What about Jeans Jackets ....

Recommended Posts

@dada mafiosi I have a couple of their jackets. They’re great and quite fast faders. Is that one wash? Looks like you could put it through a hot wash to get it to tighten up a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dada mafiosi nice jacket... is it the 21oz? I have to cuff the sleeves on my Samurai as they're too long but actually quite like it for a change. If you put it through the wash as @Toegun says you might not need cuffs.

Edited by MJF9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Toegun said:

@dada mafiosi I have a couple of their jackets. They’re great and quite fast faders. Is that one wash? Looks like you could put it through a hot wash to get it to tighten up a bit. 

@Toegon, yes, this is one wash. If you notice front side pic the size is just right as I wear 55cm shirt pit to pit and the jacket is 55.5 cm. 

But as back side has small pleats, it looks loose 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 12:50 AM, MJF9 said:

@dada mafiosi nice jacket... is it the 21oz? I have to cuff the sleeves on my Samurai as they're too long but actually quite like it for a change. If you put it through the wash as @Toegun says you might not need cuffs.

@MJF9 Thanks, it is 15oz. Sleeves are 63cm while in the same chest width TCH had 67cm. 

Samurai jacket has additional 2 to 3 cm in sleeves for me, I think they keep it deliberately so people with longer arms can wear, also gives opportunity for honeycombs. 

This is one-wash , I don't think even hot wash will work to shrink further

Edited by dada mafiosi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll take the 20s one off your hands ;) 

great comparison. Both lovely in their own way! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the type 1 jacket there are different versions, 20s, 30s, 40s:

With red tab or without, pocket flaps or not, smaller/bigger collar.

 

Does anyone know the differences for the 507, type II?
In general it's stated, that it was first issued in 1953.
Freewheelers call theirs the 1951.

There are differences in pocket height placement. Generally the top corners are a bit above the pit and above the top pleat stitching.
With the FW 1951 they're on the same level as the pit stitiching.
And the FC one is quite a bit lower. 
Also RRL had a Cone denim one a few years ago with those sunk front pockets.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, indigoeagle said:

For the type 1 jacket there are different versions, 20s, 30s, 40s:

With red tab or without, pocket flaps or not, smaller/bigger collar.

 

Does anyone know the differences for the 507, type II?
In general it's stated, that it was first issued in 1953.
Freewheelers call theirs the 1951.

There are differences in pocket height placement. Generally the top corners are a bit above the pit and above the top pleat stitching.
With the FW 1951 they're on the same level as the pit stitiching.
And the FC one is quite a bit lower. 
Also RRL had a Cone denim one a few years ago with those sunk front pockets.

 

Do you have a copy of Denimseeker"s most excellent denim jacket ebook? Or a copy of the vintage Levis denim jackets book? If you have an email address l can try to send you the former (it's in a PDF format), It covers the various nuances and factory variations.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

Do you have a copy of Denimseeker"s most excellent denim jacket ebook? Or a copy of the vintage Levis denim jackets book? If you have an email address l can try to send you the former (it's in a PDF format), It covers the various nuances and factory variations.

 

 

 

No.

I haven't. Thanks for the pointers. 
I've located denim seekers thread and will peruse it: 

 

Looks like there is nothing in the google drive anymore. I'll send you a message.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have a well-worn TCB type 2 (OG version/cut) that i love and still has a ton of life, but i've sadly put on weight and can't button it up at all anymore.

what would be a good type 2 replacement? orslow looks decent, although something a hair cheaper would be ideal...

i should also say i'm very fussy with sleeve length on denim jackets (prefer shorter if anything) and my TCB is perfect in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sugar Cane is always good value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, conqueror said:

i have a well-worn TCB type 2 (OG version/cut) that i love and still has a ton of life, but i've sadly put on weight and can't button it up at all anymore.

what would be a good type 2 replacement? orslow looks decent, although something a hair cheaper would be ideal...

i should also say i'm very fussy with sleeve length on denim jackets (prefer shorter if anything) and my TCB is perfect in that regard.

I recently had a look at a different number of type 2 jackets.
Like with sweat shirts a main difference seems to be the vertical length.
Some for the size 42 have a length of around 60cm, and a number of others are around 65cm.

The ones around 60cm were FW, WH, LVC and RMC.
The Sugarcane one as well as Full Count, and I think The Flat Head, as well as a few others have a length around 65cm.

So you have to decide, what length style you're looking for.
I think, TCB tends to be longer, so you might want to look at the second group.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the vintage type 2 on the back/side the 42 and 44 had vertical cloth inlays under the pit.
For sizes 46 and above the back was constructed with three pieces of clothes in a T-pattern.
Apparently the T-pattern is very popular in Japan, so that a number of manufacturers also issued smaller sizes with it.

I found this video by Berberjin quite interesting.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have a tried and true method for stretching out a button hole without tearing it? I’ve got an IH 21oz type III that I hardly wear because I can’t get one of the buttons fastened 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know why the Levi’s Type I & II jackets never had pocket arcs and external patches like the jeans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Jelado also has some nice denim jackets.

 

Here a 1.5 years worn one.

phonto_2_a2f14784-6a45-45d7-bdb5-205f987

 

In this video he shows the aging differences

 

Here combination suggestions

 

 

Edited by indigoeagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody owns this Jacket "THE FLAT HEAD DENIM JACKET - 60S TYPE III", one wash

How is the experience? fit ?

whether shrunk with hot wash ?

or become slightly loose with wear?

trim tfh 1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dada mafiosi said:

Anybody owns this Jacket "THE FLAT HEAD DENIM JACKET - 60S TYPE III", one wash

How is the experience? fit ?

whether shrunk with hot wash ?

or become slightly loose with wear?

I just got this jacket last week and haven't washed it yet so I can't say how it does with water or age quite yet. That being said, I have had TFH's type II jacket for 10 years which is made from the same Pioneer denim and it ages wonderfully. Loads of pics online if you want to see how this denim fades. Typically this will shrink a bit with a hot wash but then stretch back out to the original size in areas that get stretched - just like jeans. Washing will create some nice crinkles in the fabric on the collar and waistband which creates some really nice character.

I love the fit on these, it's a slim fitting type III that tapers from the shoulders to a pretty slim waist. The sleeves are also nice and slim which gives it a more modern feel. The body is a little bit longer than the Type II and hits just below the belt which makes it great to wear with an untucked shirt underneath. I wear these TTS - I'm 5'8", 155lbs and wear a sz 40.

 

Some sample pics of it fitting me. Forgive the wrinkled shirt, I untucked it for the photo...

PXL_20221112_172146000.thumb.jpg.22c7235b885079567d72cc7da727f172.jpg

PXL_20221112_172252215.thumb.jpg.9e8e8d1edbe322f3f507900625699056.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For comparison, and since I haven't posted anything for a long time - here's my Flat Head 6002W. Owned for 9 years. This will give you and idea of how the denim can fade...PXL_20221112_180102621.thumb.jpg.a1975ab8c2f5e678a5e4cd836d9a1480.jpg

PXL_20221112_180110935.thumb.jpg.271558c36e7c1592de6faa7f6eaa78f7.jpg

PXL_20221112_180120730.thumb.jpg.c316e69083e2e94455ab2dba59cf5698.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Vulcan said:

I just got this jacket last week and haven't washed it yet so I can't say how it does with water or age quite yet. That being said, I have had TFH's type II jacket for 10 years which is made from the same Pioneer denim and it ages wonderfully. Loads of pics online if you want to see how this denim fades. Typically this will shrink a bit with a hot wash but then stretch back out to the original size in areas that get stretched - just like jeans. Washing will create some nice crinkles in the fabric on the collar and waistband which creates some really nice character.

I love the fit on these, it's a slim fitting type III that tapers from the shoulders to a pretty slim waist. The sleeves are also nice and slim which gives it a more modern feel. The body is a little bit longer than the Type II and hits just below the belt which makes it great to wear with an untucked shirt underneath. I wear these TTS - I'm 5'8", 155lbs and wear a sz 40.

 

Some sample pics of it fitting me. Forgive the wrinkled shirt, I untucked it for the photo...

PXL_20221112_172146000.thumb.jpg.22c7235b885079567d72cc7da727f172.jpg

PXL_20221112_172252215.thumb.jpg.9e8e8d1edbe322f3f507900625699056.jpg

Nicely fit on your body

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2022 at 7:38 AM, dada mafiosi said:

Anybody owns this Jacket "THE FLAT HEAD DENIM JACKET - 60S TYPE III", one wash

How is the experience? fit ?

whether shrunk with hot wash ?

or become slightly loose with wear?

trim tfh 1.JPG

I just got this jacket a few weeks ago. I gave it a hot soak for about 45 minutes with frequent agitation, And a little  bit in the dryer when it was damp. I didn’t notice much shrinkage. Someone mentioned doing a hot wash and dry with the one-wash 3009, he said the shrinkage stretched back out quickly. I wouldn’t worry about it becoming unwearable or anything. Their washing should cover any sizing issues, and still stretch to accommodate your body type. 
 

The fit is broad in the shoulders like all Flat Head, but feels fairly generous everywhere else too though. I can layer under it, or wear it with a t shirt, it’s not so oversized it feels too big with a t shirt, but it is snug with a hoodie. I can button the bottom button if I pull it (t shirt only) over a belt and size 34 jeans. 
 

This is my first denim jacket since I was 12 or so lol, so I need some time to decide if it’s a good fit or not, but so far I like it. It doesn’t looks sloppy or oversized aside from the wide shoulders, and I get full range of movement. It feels like a win, time will tell if I change my mind. 

Edited by Muck Dynasty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PBJ type 2. First purchased in 2014, 1 wash. I haven’t worn it a ton but it’s nice when I do. Considering getting another denim jacket, can’t layer a sweatshirt under this one because the arms are too tight. I have fairly broad shoulders and chest. Anyone know a jacket that fits similarly but has a little more room in the arms? 

665D2030-291A-4815-8527-33964445ADAF.jpeg

7EE99936-5E0E-45C4-9FC6-9300A6554338.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now