Levi's Vintage Clothing

i think the 702 are women's jeans.

We'vebeen through this. 702 is indeed the Lot No for Lady Levi's produced in the 30s. However, Japan seemed to have done an imaginary repro 30s men's model using this code in 1996 - rather like LVC EUrope did with the first '201'. (They look completely different from the women's which have a very distinctive shape).. The cinch on these is in a different location from any Levi's i know of. They were not produced by the vintage arm of Levi's Japan, who by this time were producing an accurate 502 repro.

I don't know the fabric but it is possibly Kurabo or Kaihara, who supplied denim for the early Japanese reissues.

Very true.

Also, it seems that people on this thread particularly dont understand the idea of shrink-to-fit jeans.

Getting the best out of your Levi's is a slow process (and can be very rewarding) so why rush it with all this hot soaking/washing?

Patience is a virtue, no?

Tried to rep Doc but gotta spread it around...It does take time for the STF to properly work.

We'vebeen through this. 702 is indeed the Lot No for Lady Levi's produced in the 30s. However, Japan seemed to have done an imaginary repro 30s men's model using this code in 1996 - rather like LVC EUrope did with the first '201'. (They look completely different from the women's which have a very distinctive shape).. The cinch on these is in a different location from any Levi's i know of. They were not produced by the vintage arm of Levi's Japan, who by this time were producing an accurate 502 repro.

I don't know the fabric but it is possibly Kurabo or Kaihara, who supplied denim for the early Japanese reissues.

i believe the instrument of the confusion regarding the 702 and the mislabeled lot # is a japanese vintage magazine. i'm a little fuzzy on the details, but i recall a magazine that had a still of John Wayne in Stagecoach. he is wearing 30's era Levis bucklebacks and the caption labelled it as 702's. how they made this mistake, who knows? i'd love to know why the 555 37's were given the 201 lot #. great jeans and could half-pass for a 37 501, but definately not a credible 201 replica.

i believe the instrument of the confusion regarding the 702 and the mislabeled lot # is a japanese vintage magazine. i'm a little fuzzy on the details, but i recall a magazine that had a still of John Wayne in Stagecoach. he is wearing 30's era Levis bucklebacks and the caption labelled it as 702's. how they made this mistake, who knows? i'd love to know why the 555 37's were given the 201 lot #. great jeans and could half-pass for a 37 501, but definately not a credible 201 replica.

I think the error might come from the 'Jeans of Heroes' book, which has John (Marion) wayne in a pair of '702'.

I think the error might come from the 'Jeans of Heroes' book, which has John (Marion) wayne in a pair of '702'.

btw Paul, any chance of you knowing why the 37 201's got that lot # by LVC? i've always wondered about that as they would have been more accurately called a 37 501. though still not historically correct in the details of course.

I couldn't resist the cultizm sale and got myself a little xmas present, a pair of 1955s. my first pair of LVCs without a cinch in a real long time.

I went with Paul's advice and got them actual size - so 33 which measured 35.

here are some pre soak measurements.

Waist: 35

Inseam: 35

Thigh: 12.5

Front Rise: 12.5

Back Rise: 16

Knee: 9.75

Hem: 8.5

the thigh is actually a little bigger than my 1915s, so these babies should work out fine. I'll have to do some stretching though...as christmas packed on a little bit extra.

on another note, my brother got a pair of 1944s and those babies are super cool. the fabric is amazing. should turn out real great. and the leather patch is the best one I've seen by LVC. super thick and embossed nicely. yay LVC. now bring the prices back down would ya?

How to size a 501 1966 rigid? As they say up 1"?

TTS if you want them slim straight, but not tight. Room enough in the thighs, stretches about 1 inch while wearing. Check 4 more details the LVC / Sugar canes thread. Great pair & btw, the inseam runs shorter (approx. 1 inch).

gfhgfj.jpg

(Dunno why ImageShack turned the pic)

btw Paul, any chance of you knowing why the 37 201's got that lot # by LVC? i've always wondered about that as they would have been more accurately called a 37 501. though still not historically correct in the details of course.

I am not sure. HEard a few different theories, but it does seem they were copying the 1937 501 and not the 201. Perhaps they thought that the 201 sounded more exotic, or more different from the 50s 501.

I couldn't resist the cultizm sale and got myself a little xmas present, a pair of 1955s. my first pair of LVCs without a cinch in a real long time.

I went with Paul's advice and got them actual size - so 33 which measured 35.

on another note, my brother got a pair of 1944s and those babies are super cool. the fabric is amazing. should turn out real great. and the leather patch is the best one I've seen by LVC. super thick and embossed nicely. yay LVC. now bring the prices back down would ya?

With my 55 I got actual waist size as measured (Mine were old production made true to size). But maybe I have skinny thighs! I agree re the 44, current production looks terrific, I'm thinking about those for 2014... enough time to save up at the new prices I guess...

But why are you buying new jeans during your ROY year? Bad erk!

How to size a 501 1966 rigid? As they say up 1"?

my 37s, 44s, 55s, and 66s are all the same tagged waist size, 38. Fit is good on all of them, but i wouldn't want the 66s any smaller. 66s should be back from BiG tomorrow, I'll try and post fit pix of them compared to my 55s over the weekend.

I've got some questions for some 55 experts here. some funky details with the 55s - the first thing I noticed was how SHINY the buttons were. like almost chrome. after the soak the buttons are really rusty now, which is pretty cool but has never happened to me before with a pair of LVCs.

5306646127_5c83dfcaca_z.jpg

also, the rivets on the inside have similarly shiny silver backs, steel maybe? I dont know. I dont even know if originals were like that. its kinda cool though.

5307237242_d5b7135d9d_z.jpg

the backs of the hidden rivets are normal.

and there appears to be a new 3 digit code on these. one i've never seen before. 337 is stamped on the top button.

only downside to these is that super stupid silk screened LVC logo on the inside left pocket. wtf is that?

I've got some questions for some 55 experts here. some funky details with the 55s - the first thing I noticed was how SHINY the buttons were. like almost chrome. after the soak the buttons are really rusty now, which is pretty cool but has never happened to me before with a pair of LVCs.

the backs of the hidden rivets are normal.

and there appears to be a new 3 digit code on these. one i've never seen before. 337 is stamped on the top button.

only downside to these is that super stupid silk screened LVC logo on the inside left pocket. wtf is that?

Yours must be newer than mine. I have (IIRC) a 4160 code on the top button of mine, and no silk screened logo. Buttons are nearly as shiny as the day I got 'em (after like 10 trips through the washing machine). All rivets, front and back, are copper colored.

Heads up, Context is having their flash sale, which includes some LVC items.

I ordered this:

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1725

Afterward I found this fit pic:

http://streetweardenim.alphaconsumers.com/2010/12/levis-lvc-shawl-collar-sweater-navy-blue/

The second picture has me tempted to cancel my order, but I think I'll cross my fingers and pray that my small fits nothing like that second picture.

Yours must be newer than mine. I have (IIRC) a 4160 code on the top button of mine, and no silk screened logo. Buttons are nearly as shiny as the day I got 'em (after like 10 trips through the washing machine). All rivets, front and back, are copper colored.

I recently purchased some 2010 55's, which have the new cone denim and that little extra white tag on the inside of the waistband saying 'made in usa'. They have the 4170 code on the top button and all rivets copper coloured on the inside as usual. No screen-print on the pocketbag.

[edit] they are tagged 34/34, but measure (predictably) 36/33.5.

@erk

Yours must be the S/S 2011 ??

I recently purchased some 2010 55's, which have the new cone denim and that little extra white tag on the inside of the waistband saying 'made in usa'. They have the 4170 code on the top button and all rivets copper coloured on the inside as usual. No screen-print on the pocketbag.

[edit] they are tagged 34/34, but measure (predictably) 36/33.5.

@erk

Yours must be the S/S 2011 ??

Same here, 55's from this year...lil' white tag, #4170, copper rivets, no screen print, buttons look like day1 (4 soaks, 1 wash).

I've got some questions for some 55 experts here.

The rivets on the inside have similarly shiny silver backs, steel maybe? I dont know. I dont even know if originals were like that. its kinda cool though.

5307237242_d5b7135d9d_z.jpg

the backs of the hidden rivets are normal.QUOTE]

Forgot to mention that originals did have silver coloured backs/copper fronted rivets from c.1962 onwards ('till early nineties IIRC) even though the hidden rivets were still copper (until 1966 when they were removed)

Also, the 501's made during the war had copper-washed steel hidden rivets too (some did, some didn't)

I'll shut up now .

Heads up, Context is having their flash sale, which includes some LVC items.

I ordered this:

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1725

Afterward I found this fit pic:

http://streetweardenim.alphaconsumers.com/2010/12/levis-lvc-shawl-collar-sweater-navy-blue/

The second picture has me tempted to cancel my order, but I think I'll cross my fingers and pray that my small fits nothing like that second picture.

AlmostMarkus has one, I believe he's posted some recent fit pics with it in ... perhaps the MF thread? Could've been waywt, don't hold me to it.