Levi's Vintage Clothing

thank you Paul, wanted that to come from you so it would be uncontested. as far as pricing... any treatments are always more than raw. because they put work into anything from one washing all the way to repro distressing. now keep in mind they are always the first to get reduced lower than a raw jean which is a classic, and almost always similarly priced across the board.

Denim Stories:

My Grandfather grew up in OK during the depression. He cannot understand my interest in jeans. He said in his days they didn't go to town because they only had a single pair of church clothes. A gentleman couldn't be seen in public in denim. It was the clothing of jailbirds and hired hands. He said once he made it to California he stopped wearing jeans, and hasn't since. He said he couldn't get into Elvis until he saw him as a G.I.

My dad said he remembered painting arcs on his Navy Bells when he got out of the navy. He said the 'super bells' hadn't been made yet and he wanted to look like he'd been to California (he was living in Brittish Colombia). He said when he finally was able to get a hold of Levi's a girl he was seeing stole them from him. He had bad luck with the ladies, another gf tossed all his LP's out of a 3 or 4 story window.

My Brother wanted 'Acid Washed' Levis, but couldn't afford them so he stole a pair of my dads 517's and put them in the washing machine with about a half gallon of clorox. He lined dried them, but didn't get them quite dry enough before he put them on. It was the summer, but they didn't dry soon enough and he had a terrible rash on both legs,his ass,and his business.

I didn't own a pair of Levi's til middle school, they were 559 and I loved them so much. I wouldn't go near a pair w/ a 10 ft pole these days.

notice those rough rinse model in the store~~the weft yarns has a green cast to it anybody know what kind of treatment they do to them??I think those on the superdenim.co.uk are rough rinse~~~and for those in NYC all the LVC are 50 off at the Atrium on broadway~~

did you notice if they have any 37s?

Both the 44 and 55 are lovely - but I strongly suggest you go for the US-made version, which probably means raw. If you've going to put a year's wear into them, far better to go for the COne fabric. From what I've seen, the current Cone 44 fabric is some of the best Cone have made.

THe 44 denim looks a little like the 55 - darkens up a lot with soak, and crocks in a really attractive way, maybe quicker than some other Cone. I only have a pair of shorts, I'm afraid. After the ROY comp I might have a holiday from Cone for a bit (my SDA103XX, although Japanese, are very similar to Cone), but when I come back I think it will be to some 44s.

1944unwashed.jpg

1944.jpg

19441.jpg

19443.jpg

PS - I checked with Cultizm, the 66 rough rinse, and I suspect most of the other Rough RInses, are made in Turkey. I did hear the rough rinse is an interesting technique, they're slightly resin-coated, as the resin wears off it pulls off chunks of indigo, so they're faster-wearing than the raw, made for fans of Japanese quicker-crocking denim, like Samurai.

THe 44 denim looks a little like the 55 - darkens up a lot with soak, and crocks in a really attractive way, maybe quicker than some other Cone. I only have a pair of shorts, I'm afraid. After the ROY comp I might have a holiday from Cone for a bit (my SDA103XX, although Japanese, are very similar to Cone), but when I come back I think it will be to some 44s.

PS - I checked with Cultizm, the 66 rough rinse, and I suspect most of the other Rough RInses, are made in Turkey. I did hear the rough rinse is an interesting technique, they're slightly resin-coated, as the resin wears off it pulls off chunks of indigo, so they're faster-wearing than the raw, made for fans of Japanese quicker-crocking denim, like Samurai.

1) Wouldn't you get the same effect with a gentle wash before wear raw?

2) 44's are great, my first pair of LVC's and still my favourites this far. The cut is great, if you go for tts you'll get a pair with the best of both worlds: a lot of prewar elements AND a slim and modern fit. And yes, they are similar to 55's, both got a deep royal blue that fades gracefully.

44's are great, my first pair of LVC's and still my favourites this far. The cut is great, if you go for tts you'll get a pair with the best of both worlds: a lot of prewar elements AND a slim and modern fit. And yes, they are similar to 55's, both got a deep royal blue that fades gracefully.

Agreed, unfortunately I went TTS on the 2010's and now after one soak cant wear the buggers for more than a day! Still, awesome jeans.

hmmm... damn So the OE 66' arent Cone? eeeeek!

edit: order canceled! who can direct me to a raw 55 sz 32x32??? help!

Here you go:

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p44_Levi--180-s--Vintage-Clothing-1955-501-Jeans-Rigid.html

(I guess you want 'em 32x32 POSTSOAK, right? Anyways, they shrink a lot inseamwise and you can manage this also with a hotsoak just for the legs).

Will keep an eye on this thread. Knew I had some Christmas money coming, so I ordered another pair of LVC during cultizm's sale. Wanted to get another pair of '55s, but they were out in my size, so I grabbed a pair of '66s. Looking forward to wearing them and seeing how they compare to the SCs. Heading to the post office right now to ship them to BiG for a hem job. Not decided on how I'm going to treat this pair of jeans. I don't think I'm going to worry about contrast at all, and will wash them whenever I please (which will probably be ever dozen or so wears).

whoops, posted in the wrong thread. this is supposed to be in the '66 LVC vs Sugar Cane thread.

Here you go:

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p44_Levi--180-s--Vintage-Clothing-1955-501-Jeans-Rigid.html

(I guess you want 'em 32x32 POSTSOAK, right? Anyways, they shrink a lot inseamwise and you can manage this also with a hotsoak just for the legs).

Get cultizm to measure them. SOme 55 have been oversize. Yes, Im repeating myself I know, but I strongly suggest getting actual waist size as measured in the 55, waist stretches out and the thighs are still roomy compared to 47in the next size up. I'm wearing mine now, at least till the ROYs come home to daddy...

Will keep an eye on this thread. Knew I had some Christmas money coming, so I ordered another pair of LVC during cultizm's sale. Wanted to get another pair of '55s, but they were out in my size, so I grabbed a pair of '66s. Looking forward to wearing them and seeing how they compare to the SCs. Heading to the post office right now to ship them to BiG for a hem job. Not decided on how I'm going to treat this pair of jeans. I don't think I'm going to worry about contrast at all, and will wash them whenever I please (which will probably be ever dozen or so wears).

whoops, posted in the wrong thread. this is supposed to be in the '66 LVC vs Sugar Cane thread.

Thanks nevertheless buddy :-)

A little anecdote about washing. Most of us know Nudies and the big thing they're making of the 6-months-no wash- rule. My wife bought a pair of dry Nudies for herself 2 years ago. She tried them on and throw 'em into the washer before the first wear. After that she wore them a few days, washed, wore them again and so on. After some months they started to fade nevertheless pretty nice and showed awesome contrasts, today they look beautiful (for a girls jean, haha!). Washed at least 40-50 times.

Don't care about washing rules, at least I don't. My 'rule' is to wear jeans hard. After the 1st signs of wear I wash 'em when needed and so on. Guys in the older days didn't give a dam about washing or not, but they wore them hard.

I think that's where the "waiting" theory came in to play. People didn't have washing machines to throw laundry into them whenever they got a little used or soiled. Admittedly, I bought it hard and fast the first time I got into higher-end quality denim. There was a novelty about it then. Now, I just take a wait and see approach. If they get stanky, they're gettin' washed.

I saw a strange levi jacket today. It was a type two looking jacket, pleated front, one chest pocket and two hand warmers pockets, and a two ends of a "Cinch" on the back. Looks like they just put the square cinch parts without the actual strap. And here's the best part... Acid Wash!

Apparently Levi's in the 80's made this. Maybe it was an inspiration to start the LVC line....

Needless to say, I did not buy this. Nor, did I take a photo as I didn't have my phone with me...

Thanks nevertheless buddy :-)

A little anecdote about washing. Most of us know Nudies and the big thing they're making of the 6-months-no wash- rule. My wife bought a pair of dry Nudies for herself 2 years ago. She tried them on and throw 'em into the washer before the first wear. After that she wore them a few days, washed, wore them again and so on. After some months they started to fade nevertheless pretty nice and showed awesome contrasts, today they look beautiful (for a girls jean, haha!). Washed at least 40-50 times.

Don't care about washing rules, at least I don't. My 'rule' is to wear jeans hard. After the 1st signs of wear I wash 'em when needed and so on. Guys in the older days didn't give a dam about washing or not, but they wore them hard.

In general everyone is free to treat their jeans precisely as they like, of course.

But what concerns me about these generalisations is that so spread about Superfuture it may well cause newbies to waste their money by ruining their jeans. Their are good reasons why Nudie, LVC, PRPS and APC just to name four companies, advise to wait at least six months before washing. It is because the desirable end result is for high contrast fades, which will not be achieved by throwing the jeans in the wash after every dozen wears. Baseless claims about what people did in the "old vintage days" — contradicted by many claims from people who lived back then and certainly by my memory, since as I've said elsewhere my first pair of jeans was the 55 Levi — are simply adding noise into an already noise-filled forum.

I'd be much happier if the advice were more specific and less misleading. Of the form: if you want this kind of fading do this. If you want that kind of fading do that. That way people would not be buying > $200 jeans and getting "expert" advice that makes their jeans look — in their own eyes — like ruined junk after one month.

But this may be overly Utopian in these days of Internet experts.

Afaik the rinsed models aren't US-made (correct me if I'm wrong) and I don't thnk they're made of the original cone denim.

All the RoughRinse models that are in sale at Caliroots, state that they are made in Cone Mills USA though.

http://caliroots.com/realdeal/product.asp?id=22999

http://caliroots.com/realdeal/product.asp?id=22998

http://caliroots.com/realdeal/product.asp?id=23005