Levi's Vintage Clothing

Just found these WW2 501's on the bay, always interesting to compare to the repros. Looks like the pocket bag material is denim...Chambray maybe?

- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-WWII-LEVI-XX-LEATHER-PATCH-/190484154206?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item2c59bd875e

Thanks for posting. Yeah, looks like chambray - note the curved stitching at the bottom of the watchpocket, too. Also, they have very angular backpockets, without the curving you would always get on Sugar Cane, and which LVC have lately started using too.

For $3000, though, you'd think they would get the full-length photos in focus!

In general everyone is free to treat their jeans precisely as they like, of course.

But what concerns me about these generalisations is that so spread about Superfuture it may well cause newbies to waste their money by ruining their jeans.

So a handful of guys saying "Eh, wash 'em when you feel like, they'll turn out okay" is going to override the constant message here of "don't wash 'em for months on end, or they're ruined!" Wow, I wasn't aware Dr. House has such power! Hats off to him!

You know why companies recommend going months and months without washing to create fades? Because they know 95% of their customers do less physical labor and work in a year, than the average denim weared did in a month 70 years ago. Maybe the advice shouldn't be "don't wash for six months"? Maybe it should be "get off your ass and do something"?

i think the superdenim philosophy breaks down to getting good denim, with good construction, and good fit.. then you wear it and do whatever the hell you want and no matter what it's going to look cool. after a couple pairs, you'll know how you like to take care of it.

On the spot.

I actually think it's kinda pointless to try very hard to make your jeans look a particular way or have a certain fade.

The denim should reflect your lifestyle...

Otherwise the jeans are wearing you!

(re: Help, my mum accidentally washed my Nudies 1 month too early, are they ruined? Please reply ASAP.)

So a handful of guys saying "Eh, wash 'em when you feel like, they'll turn out okay" is going to override the constant message here of "don't wash 'em for months on end, or they're ruined!" Wow, I wasn't aware Dr. House has such power! Hats off to him!

You know why companies recommend going months and months without washing to create fades? Because they know 95% of their customers do less physical labor and work in a year, than the average denim weared did in a month 70 years ago. Maybe the advice shouldn't be "don't wash for six months"? Maybe it should be "get off your ass and do something"?

Anyone can do what they feel like and I for one have never said they're ruined I just said and have always said there's a difference and if you don't soak for a very long time you get more contrasty fades. Some like more contrast some don't.

On the spot.

I actually think it's kinda pointless to try very hard to make your jeans look a particular way or have a certain fade.

The denim should reflect your lifestyle...

Otherwise the jeans are wearing you!

(re: Help, my mum accidentally washed my Nudies 1 month too early, are they ruined? Please reply ASAP.)

Better donate those Nudies to Goodwill!

I like the point about wearing the jeans, and them not wearing you. Plus, why treat all your jeans the same? I've done two very similiar pair, I'm going another direction with the next pair.

Does it suffice to say, "Wash them when they are dirty." I wash my jeans when I feel like they are getting gross. For me that takes a long time because I work a desk job. Aside from running around at the park with my son, fixing up the house, and doing yard work my jeans don't get too dirty, so I can go months without washing.

Also, I will point out that the idea of not washing your jeans for a long time is not new. I have talked to various folks 50/60yrs and older who made a point to not wash their new levis (after the initial soak of course) for upwards of a year. My mother and father remember doing this. Various hot rod dudes I know remember this. They wanted to keep their jeans as dark as possible for as long as possible, which happens to be the reason I don't wash for long periods of time as well. Of course many didn't do this, but it is not a new thing of going long periods of time without washing your jeans.

Does it suffice to say, "Wash them when they are dirty." I wash my jeans when I feel like they are getting gross. For me that takes a long time because I work a desk job. Aside from running around at the park with my son, fixing up the house, and doing yard work my jeans don't get too dirty, so I can go months without washing.

Also, I will point out that the idea of not washing your jeans for a long time is not new. I have talked to various folks 50/60yrs and older who made a point to not wash their new levis (after the initial soak of course) for upwards of a year. My mother and father remember doing this. Various hot rod dudes I know remember this. They wanted to keep their jeans as dark as possible for as long as possible, which happens to be the reason I don't wash for long periods of time as well. Of course many didn't do this, but it is not a new thing of going long periods of time without washing your jeans.

Very true.

Also, it seems that people on this thread particularly dont understand the idea of shrink-to-fit jeans.

Getting the best out of your Levi's is a slow process (and can be very rewarding) so why rush it with all this hot soaking/washing?

Patience is a virtue, no?

I've had a look at both 1947 and 1954 "Rough Rinse" today.

Both have tags behind the laundry instruction tag with Made in Turkey.

That's true world -wide. IN additioan. many of the distressed items use Turkish fabric. Caliroots suggest that the Rinsed items use Cone, but it's worth checking.

That's true world -wide. IN additioan. many of the distressed items use Turkish fabric. Caliroots suggest that the Rinsed items use Cone, but it's worth checking.

The 44 rough rinsed from caliroots looks different in details, just check the denim and the buttons:

22998201095291412326398_L.jpg

2299820109529141244389155_L.jpg

For some reason I don't believe they're made of cone denim.

The 44 rough rinsed from caliroots looks different in details, just check the denim and the buttons:

For some reason I don't believe they're made of cone denim.

I think I agree. It's possibly a tint, but that fabric looks to me like a sulphur bottom, which would mean it's not the Cone fabric.

well there's no right or wrong way to do things, but there is a best way and i think we all know what that is.

Glad you know! I don't.

Finally received the 702's in the mail today! Looking at the pics, can anyone tell what denim manufacturer this is? It looks a lot like my 1920s 201 from '99 being that it's "grainy" and has a vertical strand appearance throughout the legs (not sure if the pics captured the effect). It's also pretty lightweight.

702xx010.jpg

702xx005.jpg

702xx004.jpg

702xx003.jpg

702xx002.jpg

702xx008.jpg

702xx007.jpg

702xx006.jpg

let us know how they fit. they appear to sort of flair out and taper in for the waist. but come to think of it, so do my 555 1937 201xx's. i had to wet those and wear em' dry to get them to fit right. after that they were fine.

The fit is great. Here is a pic next to my 555 '37 201xx. The hip on mine does the same thing, yet not as drastic on the 702

HF.jpg

1 9 3 7 ' s, bought from the Voll's sale:

I like the simple selvage seam and those wonderful single stitched arcs.

PRESOAK measurements, tagged 32 x 36"

Waist: 32"

Frontrise: 12.5"

Thigh: 12"

Knee: 9.5"

Hem: 9"

Inseam: 34.5"

Backrise: 15"

Very much agreed!

Thx for the numbers here. Would be curious to know what post-soak measurements are. I'd love to arrive at measurements very close to this post-soak for waist/inseam, but could stay the same/give up a little everywhere else...

Well, I'm sure they'll be around 30x32 after soak. Will be hard to stretch 'em out after christmas ;-)

I post measurements after soak, soon.

I am sorry, I was a bit mistaken with the presoak measurements. Correct is:

Thigh: 12.5"

Knee: 10"

Hem: 9.5"

1 9 3 7 ' s, bought from the Voll's sale:

I like the simple selvage seam and those wonderful single stitched arcs.

PRESOAK measurements, tagged 32 x 36"

Thigh: 12"

Knee: 9.5"

Hem: 9"

The 37 are one of my favourite LVC I just wish they made them longer in the leg. I had to size up in the waist to a 36 to get a 38 leg (shrunk to 33") and they are a bit too loose compared to some of my prewashed 37 at actual size.