Taking Care of the World Tour

Bobbo

Haha, farce! ^ I hope I can live up to your expectations, Volvo.

32" is certainly doable, shouldn't be too baggy either, and way better than having to drop out because I can't squeeze into the jeans, like the last time I signed up for a tour...ahem. I'm in!

^ excellent! I am still awaiting to see some extras from Sir Paul T, but at the same time I am already tremendously looking forward to the next instalment of this TCB 20s tour farce haha, I foresee it will be a viking-japanese happy  jeans triumph farce!

So, the jeans are drying on the radiator. Here's a few updates on where they've been i the last couple of months.

've been out and about in a few places. One was the V&A Revolution exhibition, where I gave a talk on music and the counterculture. But we won't mention that as I was dressed in Levi's for the occason (altho with my TCB Navy jumper). But when I had a trip out near Bath, they came with me to see one of England's most beautiful towns. It's called Chesham; it's where they filmed a popialr bodce-ripper TV series called Poldark, with some tall dark and handome Byron-esquer figure as the hero. All filmed on these streets.

Corsham%201_zpsuixohjzt.jpg

This is the High Street. I guess they removed the large plastic bins for the filming, but otherwise it's pretty much as it was 200 years ago.

Corsham3_zpsoaww1dt0.jpg

I love all these old doorways. You'll be pleased to know that a photobucket error has saved you from seeing even more of them.

Corsham4_zps4pl38sci.jpg

I'm guessing this is an abandoned abbey. Likely Henry VIII, as well as chopping off two of his wives' heads, plundered this place of all its riches.

Corsham5_zpsrjrt1znz.jpg

This was the walk up to my work place.

Corsham6_zpshoeydccp.jpg

The office is straight ahead. Flash, eh?

Methuen1_zps7oqbenkp.jpg

And the office itself. Called Methuen House. I was actually working in the old stables, but they're not quite as photogenic, giving a talk to songwriting student on the blues form. Appropriate, huh?

Methuen2_zps41va7lo1.jpg

On the way back to Greenwich, I changed trains near one of my favourite old buildings, Wren's Stephen Walbrook. It's a mini prototype for St Paul's Cathedral. Walbrook was an old stream, which led into the Thames, and it's rich in relics. Whenever they building some new phallic glass and steel erection, they always find Stone Age or Roman artefacts in the dig.

Walbrook2_zpsgqvonqof.jpg

Stephen%20Walbrook_zpsizzenf9j.jpg

IN my last week, I ventured out to Spitalfields, home of one of London's best vintage markets, and lovely old buildings. The houses on the right were built for Huguenots who moved into the area in the early 1700s, and built up the silk trade. Much gentrified, it's still a great area.

Spitalfilds3_zpsjt6xdbyd.jpg

I love sneaking looks into buildings that are being restored.

Spitalfields4_zpsaf6jetbr.jpg

THis is the basement of a local antique shop, pretty much as it was made in the 1700s.

Spitalfiendsinteror_zpsngwfzznp.jpg

I love this cupboard; from the dull sheen you can guess it's lead paint.Yummy.

Spitalfieldscupboard_zpsxudrlonc.jpg

Nearby is artillery Lane. This is one of the most beautiful, original old shop fronts in London.

ArtilleryLane_zps10ph6gio.jpg

Narby the street is full of fantastic small alleyways, with old bars and pubs. Ths is my friend Carl, who still manages to make a living designing record sleeves. He's working on a Cure book at the mo!

alleyways_zpsvc0ehkzb.jpg

Winehouse_zpssbnaktf8.jpg

THis was Friday morning, I think, the day before wash day. Beautifully cold, crisp and clear.

Doginmorning_zps3uchkuyh.jpg

doginmorning2_zpsdum6wobh.jpg

Edited by Paul T

So, I gave the jeans a hand wash and machine rinse before sending them off to Mandel on Monday. I like the denim, it definitely has that bright greeny natural indigo hue (I'm assuming it's synthetic indigo but dyed to look like natural). I've been wearing them alongside my Levi's three pleat jacket, which has a similar  natural indigo look. The feel is quite unusual to me, as they're a 1920s cut but in a heavier fabric, which is a little bulkier and fluffier than the Cone 1920s denim. I think I would like to try them from raw and wear them really hard - but I suspect, rather like my 201, they won't go down easy. Before I got these, I was wearing my LVC 1890s for the summer. THey've had at least 10 months of wear, but have hardly crocked. All of these early natural indigo repros aren't like Samurai that show wear after three months.

TCB%20washed_zpshcpzjqff.jpg

It looks like these will be some tough bastards to fade, which is excellent as it will make for a more challenging contest.

thanks once again for the most educational posts, well done on the tour leg Paolo!

Thanks holio. I do have a Fuji  X-100 I use as my main camera, but most of these were taken with the little Sony RX100, the camera I bought the g/f! The first model, no viewfinder,  but it's tiny and pocket-sized, and even the out-of-camera jpegs look pretty good.

It looks like these will be some tough bastards to fade, which is excellent as it will make for a more challenging contest.

thanks once again for the most educational posts, well done on the tour leg Paolo!

Exactly. I think they will be bastards and interesting for that reason. The denim is also interesting in that it gives lots of crinkling, back yoke especially, plus you can also see train tracks already. Definitely quite distinctive.

Oh and I forgot to say, looks like substantial leg twist so far, too.

Edited by Paul T

Funny, I have a Fuji X-100S that is eagerly awaiting the arrival of the jeans later this week (probably)! Thanks for your part, Paul T. It's been fun and interesting to follow, hope I can live up to it. 

I live in Oslo but I'm going up north to my mum's for Christmas, so a good chance for lots and lots of snow!

The jeans have arrived!

I have to collect at the post office though, and I just got home from work, exhausted and hung-over, so I might postpone until tomorrow morning if I don't experience a surge of energy after dinner. Very excited, it's about to begin!

The image of a Viking girl fighting against hang over is already quite amusing on its own, let add a pair of superbly designed and deliciously loose and wide Japanese denim dungarees and what we have here is quite possibly an entertaining installment of the TCB 20's saga...

^ Fair play! Quite possibly you're right but in the peasant land I happen to live the sight of a drinking woman is still quite exotic. People are simply not drinking enough here!

Edited by volvo240thebest

Haha, guys! Glad to live up to the stereotype.

So, I collected the jeans yesterday afternoon and only had time to try them on before a birthday dinner with a more formal dresscode than loose jeans. I tightened the cinch a bit, but the fit is actually better than I expected. Totally workable with a belt. And they are so soft, almost like pajama pants. Fit pic to come, in the meantime here are a couple of snapshots from this morning:

In the house!

IMG_4545.jpg

A grey day in Oslo. This is the view from my balcony.

IMG_4546.jpg

Terrorising the neighbours (not on a Sunday though). This one's dedicated to Volvo. 

IMG_4547.jpg

I'm one day behind because of the photo issues. Fit pics + more to come tomorrow when I remember to bring the camera to work. 

Edited by mandel9000

Volvo is indeed very pleased to know that you even play the instrument of Gods and Kings.

Now tell me you drive a Volvo 240 and you'll jump right on top of my favourite superheroines list!

this one's for you:

fit looks good. you're hired for the tcb 20's contest!

cuffs may look a bit less bulky if you try a folded cuff rather than a double cuff.

I wonder how uncomfortable is to wear these jeans with a belt over the suspender buttons. is It doable? Any risk of ruining a nice belt?