Full Count Denim Thread

chris_n

Not that I've worn 710 but I don't think they are too similar. Comparing measurements for the same waist size, the thighs are slimmer and leg openings are smaller on the 710 compared to the 1101. Still, if you generally like a cut with some taper that is still relatively slim through the thighs, you would probably get along with the 1101. I would love to see more people wearing them!

New article up:

http://www.denimsandjeans.com/japanese-denim/a-chat-with-mikiharu-tsujita-full-count-jeans-japan/

Of interest:

Q.It is said that Japanese mills imported the vintage shuttle looms from US and made the great fabrics. On the other hand, Japanese denim mills are understood to have used the Toyoda looms. Which one of these you think is correct.

A.The point is not good or bad, its depends on the how it used by workers. The important point is those persons who could find out placing the right fabrics in the right machine. I think it isn’t important whether the machine is  made in Japan or made in America.

Edited by aho

It's quite interesting to see how he values comfort of the jean above other things. Not meant as a swipe towards other brands but I feel that certain brands such as Samurai or PBJ don't seem to focus on how comfortable or soft the jean is and perhaps focus more on the overall texture, like how PBJ prides itself on the slubbiness of their denim. I might be wrong though so correct me if I am.

I think his response answers the question very well. A simple 'yes' would mean they use the Draper looms from Cone (which I assume isn't the case, based on educated suggestions from Paul T and others). A 'no' would confirm this isn't the case, they use domestic, Japanese Toyoda looms and end the speculation. A suitably cryptic, ambiguous non-reply keeps the myth alive.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

my garden variety 1108's (non-contest, non-xx) inseam is now 32.6 inch after multiple machine washes over 2 years. assuming the initial length was 35 as stated on the BIG size chart, that means i've only lost 2.4 inch vertically on the 13.75 oz denim after all the washes. if you've got a 3-inch shrink already then i imagine you're not gonna get much (or any) more than that. 

Edited by oomslokop

Yeah, I personally think it's mostly a myth. There are old looms still out there in America and they pop up for sale every so often. Cone gets pretty aggressive in trying to buy them and keep them away from anyone else. Then if you read a few of the newer articles that have been written about Cone it seams that they pretty much just mothballed the Drapers and most of them never went anywhere. They have gradually been putting more and more of them back into production as this new wave of demand grows.

Hey all! I'm trying to decide between the 1108xx and 1109xx (in either 33 or 34). The measurements on and-japan, Okayama denim, and blue in green seem to differ greatly. Any suggestions or post-soak and post-stretch measurements? Thanks in advance!

Hey all! I'm trying to decide between the 1108xx and 1109xx (in either 33 or 34). The measurements on and-japan, Okayama denim, and blue in green seem to differ greatly. Any suggestions or post-soak and post-stretch measurements? Thanks in advance!

You do realize these jeans have a leather patch right? not sure if that matters to you considering your name.

^ I've never really thought about that but I guess vegans would be limited to wearing '66 repros and Stevenson Overalls right?

Any LVC from 1955 onwards would be fine too, plus anything else that has a cardboard or cloth patch (e.g. LVC 201, Warehouse Warren). Or they could just buy a pair with a leather patch and remove it!

Not at all, in this context it's more like ordering a salad that came with a small accompaniment of meat and just leaving that part.... or scraping it off with your knife!

Let's face it, many people lose or turn their patch to jerky anyway through hot washing/drying.

BrownMetallic has it right: no way that a vegan would even 'support the trade' by buying jeans with leather on them (I speak as a former teenage vegan).

Back on topic, here's a few goofy shots of me in my Fullcount 1101 visiting the Grand Palace in Bangkok last month:

IMG_5738_zpsa4ac4afd.jpg

IMG_5763_zps8dc692f7.jpg

Total respect to the Thai dudes that wear denim year-round. It was super hot even in October.

Edited by Sugar Mountain

^^ Haha. Yes it was. Some guys I work with started telling me about it. I told them they were mistaken. Eventually someone brought it up on an iPad. They were correct. I was not.

Unfortunately I don't. I'll try to get some decent phone pics soon. But being that it's the 13.75 oz fabric, there's not a ton to show after three or four months. The indigo shade itself is wearing beautifully, but I'm not sure that will come through in pictures. It's got a really warm red caste.