SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

chambo's right, it appeared in the 60s on Wrangler jeans - look inside and you'll see the twill is a zig-zag rather than a straight line. It was designed to eliminate leg twist, and doesn't have much effect on fading, if any. Cowboys like it because it retains lots of starch, and it's popular in women's and kids' jeans, because it has quite a soft texture.

Funnily enough, Japanese repro companies tend to dislike it, that's why you rarely see it on the big makes - as it was invented in the 6-s they see it as a modern aberration. I saw some beautiful selvage broken twill at Cone recently, would love to see that in a well-cut jean.

Difficulty in tailoring the rise of a pair of jeans from a higher to lower one?

Worth the trouble? Relative cost?

Thank you!

lol

they'd have to resew the pockets and everything- bake yoke, waistband etc- very difficult job, not worth the time or money

be better off buying a lower rise jean

yeah - broken twill gets really soft..I have this old pair of wranglers - they feel like sweatpants...in terms of fading - I think it doesn't get those pronounced fades - something about the softness doesn't allow for super creases

2944281211_d7784ed340.jpg

2944280739_64d9a94f85.jpg

2945145364_428c64c096.jpg

actually - if you look really closely you can make out the broken twill on the outside as well

2945145774_d8d2d26b44.jpg

How many yards of denim are needed to make a pair of jeans? What about a jacket? shirt?

It depends on your size. Go to whoever is going to make your jeans/shirts/jacket and ask them.

2 metres of fabric is enough to make a shirt for the 'average' man. I'm a small european (5"7 and slim), so I get by with 1.5 metres a shirt.

Does anyone have measurements for this stf black levis jacket?

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3733478&cp=3146842.3146845.3146860.3692021

The size guide says the chest meaures 41.5-44.5. thats quite a big range for one size (Large) and i'm wondering if thats pre wash or post wash? thanks....

thats just general sizing for levi's men's tops

its oversized so i would guess its the bigger number

alright that makes sense. do you think thats what it shrinks to? or pre wash..

EDIT: fuck - they dont even have Large available online

does a pure, synthetic indigo have different fading properties than a synthetic indigo w/ fillers??

If by filler you mean sulphur, yes. Sulphur became common in the 70s; it became more popular in the stonewashed jeans era; most of those jeans faded more quickly with less indigo retention than their predecessors. Sulhur is also a cheap way of making new jeans look dark; it cane be used in various ways, ie a sulhur bottom used to be popula a few years aog to give a colour cast. I think there's some discussion of this on the natural vs synthetic indigo thread

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic