SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

But which Warehouse model has that classic straight fit mid rise look I'm looking for?

Another question; I'll be heading to Tokyo in January. Would I get cheaper prices for Japanese denim over there or would it be around the same here in the states? I do have pretty easy access to BiG and the likes...but if I can get stuff cheaper in Japan I'd rather do that.

got some raw denim which needs to be shortened do I give them a hot wash or just get the seamstress to hem down now?.

Hem them now = better roping, especially if you are going to get them chainstitched, especially if you're going to cuff them.

Hem them after wash = better control of length, peace of mind, probably the best option if you're getting your neighborhood seamstress to do it.

so i'm 7 months no wash with my APCS right now. i think i'm going to wash them soon. how should i wash them? tub or washer? i'm going for a high contrast fade that still retains the darkness of the indigo. opinions?

^ If you're really an@l about it, then inside-out hand-wash with soap in cold water.

I think if you've left them a long time, a good old machine wash is better; it gets them clean, and brings out the zinginess of the contrast. Some people take them out before the spin cycle to avoid marbling, but I've never seen that happen with APCs.

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

So, I found two pairs of salt-soaked selvedge 501's at Jcrew marked down from $138 to just $15. I picked up the two pairs, a 38 and 36 - I figured they'd be good experiment with, especially because my first foray into raw/selvedge demin is a pair of Rising Suns, that I'd rather not make any newbie mistakes on.

So my question is:

I'm planning to cuff, but the 3" is too much, and double cuffing is too bulky. If I take them to SELA, are they going to be cool about hemming and chainstiching them? And/or would that be like gilding a turd?

I've got a NY shopping problem, I'm off to NY on the 6th of December for a couple of weeks and have had a shopping list in mind for months. Unfortunately, thanks to SUFU and Ebay, I have basically bought just about everything that was originally on my shopping list (mainly second hand I admit) for alot less than I had planned to pay retail (Sam 710's, PBJ 005's, Schott 602 Police Perfecto, Red Wing GT's etc..).

A side effect of this is that I dont have as much money to spend as I did, but I still have a reasonable chunk of dissposable change, and no idea what to spend it on. So....the following is a list of items which I am considering (purely luxury purchases), could some of you guys let me know if you think they are good products and worth the money?

Samurai Loop Wheeled Sweatshirt (Black)

Samurai Element (not sure which to go for yet)

Alpha Industries N3B

IH9634 SBK

IH 12oz overdyed workshirt

I can afford 2 (maybe 3) items from the above list, and as I said they are all luxury items so there is no priority. Any opinion?

I'm also going to be stocking up on basics from Supreme and Uniqlo (new backpack, flannel, underwear, plain tee's), and spending the rest of the budget of going out and sightseeing.....plus my boy will burn a fair amount of cash in Toys R Us.

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

So, I found two pairs of salt-soaked selvedge 501's at Jcrew marked down from $138 to just $15. I picked up the two pairs, a 38 and 36 - I figured they'd be good experiment with, especially because my first foray into raw/selvedge demin is a pair of Rising Suns, that I'd rather not make any newbie mistakes on.

So my question is:

I'm planning to cuff, but the 3" is too much, and double cuffing is too bulky. If I take them to SELA, are they going to be cool about hemming and chainstiching them? And/or would that be like gilding a turd?

Normally I'm a chainstitch fascist; but in this case, the jeans have already been rinsed. Chainstitching (on balance) gives better roping, but it has to be done while the jeans are raw. Here, they've been rinsed, you won't get great roping. THe only difference will be the slightly chunkier stitch visible if you're cuffing the heans. THe existing hems are a simply lockstitch; you can get this done at a local tailor. Adding chainstitch if not gilding a turd, it's like adding alloy wheels to a standard model GOlf - which will alwasy be a standard model GOlf. Or is that a Rabbit, can't remember.

I'm saying this on the basis that SELA will charge $20 or more. If, of course, it's only $10 go ahead. You got a bargain on the jeans, which should fade well, but if you bulk up the price to $40 or so, then they're slightly less of a bargain.

As for being cool; I took some rare, Valencia St made Leiv's 201 to Blue in Green for hemming... the look of disdain on one assistant's face was so palpable it looked as if he was auditioning for Zoolander. Hopefully SELA won't be like that.

Don't normally disagree with Paul T but I say go for the chainstitch hem. I bought a pair of sanforized Edwin's and washed them to make sure they didn't shrink. I had the hems chainstitched (by Cary) and then gave them a solid 2-3 months of wear before washing them. The hems have some nice roping on them already.

Considering you only paid $15 from the jeans, even with the hemming fee, they'll still be a bargain.

I've got a NY shopping problem, I'm off to NY on the 6th of December for a couple of weeks and have had a shopping list in mind for months. Unfortunately, thanks to SUFU and Ebay, I have basically bought just about everything that was originally on my shopping list (mainly second hand I admit) for alot less than I had planned to pay retail (Sam 710's, PBJ 005's, Schott 602 Police Perfecto, Red Wing GT's etc..).

A side effect of this is that I dont have as much money to spend as I did, but I still have a reasonable chunk of dissposable change, and no idea what to spend it on. So....the following is a list of items which I am considering (purely luxury purchases), could some of you guys let me know if you think they are good products and worth the money?

Samurai Loop Wheeled Sweatshirt (Black)

Samurai Element (not sure which to go for yet)

Alpha Industries N3B

IH9634 SBK

IH 12oz overdyed workshirt

I can afford 2 (maybe 3) items from the above list, and as I said they are all luxury items so there is no priority. Any opinion?

I'm also going to be stocking up on basics from Supreme and Uniqlo (new backpack, flannel, underwear, plain tee's), and spending the rest of the budget of going out and sightseeing.....plus my boy will burn a fair amount of cash in Toys R Us.

When are you gong to get time to wear/display all of this stuff?

Errr..by my reckoning a pair of jeans, a sweatshirt and a shirt or coat doesnt constitute a mass of clothing to be worn/ displayed does it? Especially considering where we are posting.

Jeez man, there are people in the "show us what you've got" thread who have close on 40 pairs of denim, I hardly think my shopping is excessive considering that I have worked and saved all year for it.

As for time, hopefully the next 30 - 40 years of life should do it.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic