TCB

1 hour ago, PrettyBoyTony said:

Appreciate the replies! I measured my waist and smallest measurement is 89cm and largest measurement is 90cm. The 36 on TCB's website has the 36 as 91cm around and 34 as 86cm so I think seems safer to go with the 36

late to the party, but; my basic experience is that I stop wearing things that are too small, whereas those with a bit of give are a happy place... and the 50s are pretty strict in the top block...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

2 hours ago, PrettyBoyTony said:

Appreciate the replies! I measured my waist and smallest measurement is 89cm and largest measurement is 90cm. The 36 on TCB's website has the 36 as 91cm around and 34 as 86cm so I think seems safer to go with the 36

36 sounds right. You could probably squeeze into a 34 but it will ride up your ass.

This being the case, the 34s will easily stretch to be big enough round the waist within a couple of days at most. 

With this information I’ll revise my suggestion to a size 36. My waist is about 81 cm around and that aligned perfectly with a 33 which is what I bought. They’ve been comfortable from the first wear and haven’t stretched too much either with a belt

So plot twist i pulled the trigger on the 34. I measured my waist again and largest measurement was actually 88 cm. I have a pair of old Levis that measure 43 cm across like the tcb 36s and I was constantly hiking them up today. I think the 34 will allow me to wear them without a belt but still be comfortable. Fingers crossed 

On 8/31/2024 at 10:21 AM, PrettyBoyTony said:

So plot twist i pulled the trigger on the 34. I measured my waist again and largest measurement was actually 88 cm. I have a pair of old Levis that measure 43 cm across like the tcb 36s and I was constantly hiking them up today. I think the 34 will allow me to wear them without a belt but still be comfortable. Fingers crossed 

I think this will work perfectly. They will definitely stretch a few cm in the waist if needed, but overall its a very forgiving fabric/cut. Let us know how it works out!

I finally started wearing my S40s jeans from the original run, they're awesome jeans 

I've never been premeditated about how I plan to wear my jeans, but after looking through the final submissions from the contest I might be washing them a lot. Just throwing them in the hamper with my socks, etc.  

Yes. Still one of my favorite fits. High rise but less hip flare than most of that style.

I sometimes consider having mine repaired by a chainstitch expert.

I’ve just started wearing my 2nd pair of 40s also!! I forgot how much i love the fit, every other pair’s front rise feels inadequate in comparison. Looking forward to seeing how urs turn out scooby!

How should I size the 505? I'm a true 34 waist and I've sized up 36 on their 50s cut. The waist of the 50s cut fits, but I'd probably like another inch so I can sag them a bit more. I'm correct to assume the 505 will have a larger thigh than the 50s, just referencing how the Levis are. Thanks!

I tried on the 505 a while ago and the 34 fit me, although i didn't like the cut. My true waist is probably 33 (depends where you measure though) and I wear a 33 in the TCB 50s. (Could wear 34 but I don't like my jeans to sag.) If you're wearing a 36 in the 50s and you want a relaxed fit I'd go with 36.

So my 34 50s have arrived from TCB Japan today. Hemmed perfectly and i like how they sent the cut offs which will be handy for any repairs. They measure 40cm across. Which is 1cm less than the size chart but fair enough I can live with that.

One thing that's surprised me with the denim is how stiff and starchy they seem. Cardboard like. I guess because they are Zimbabwean cotton I had expected them to be very similar to my 13.7oz 0105w fullcounts. The FCs are noticeably softer and stretchier new than these TCB 50s.

So do the TCBs just take a bit more wearing and maybe a soak to become more relaxed in the waist and less stiff? 

Elsewhere I like the fit. The rise could be a tad looser but again hoping with wear things will expand?

32 minutes ago, PrettyBoyTony said:

So my 34 50s have arrived from TCB Japan today. Hemmed perfectly and i like how they sent the cut offs which will be handy for any repairs. They measure 40cm across. Which is 1cm less than the size chart but fair enough I can live with that.

One thing that's surprised me with the denim is how stiff and starchy they seem. Cardboard like. I guess because they are Zimbabwean cotton I had expected them to be very similar to my 13.7oz 0105w fullcounts. The FCs are noticeably softer and stretchier new than these TCB 50s.

So do the TCBs just take a bit more wearing and maybe a soak to become more relaxed in the waist and less stiff? 

Elsewhere I like the fit. The rise could be a tad looser but again hoping with wear things will expand?

They start off a little stiffer than FC, which softens up during its first wear. Give the 50s about a week and they'll start to feel similar to the FC denim.

9 hours ago, willi said:

Black 505s arrived for me today. I can post pictures or comparisons if anyone is interested.

That would be helpful! I can never quite work out the fit / cut on TCB's own site properly due to the way they style and wear their jeans being so different from how I would.

@Alec Leamas I would describe the 505 as a really neutral fit. It is straight with a touch of taper (like many "straight" fits from fashion brands these days which rarely are completely straight from the knee down like mid-century 501s), it also has a pretty high rise where the denim tapers in towards the waistband giving the fit a vintage vibe. The back pockets are placed fairly high which is quite flattering too imo. Neither wide nor straight I would describe them simply as a good standard jean, which is probably why its not as popular among repro heads.

2 hours ago, NilsLW said:

@Alec Leamas I would describe the 505 as a really neutral fit. It is straight with a touch of taper (like many "straight" fits from fashion brands these days which rarely are completely straight from the knee down like mid-century 501s), it also has a pretty high rise where the denim tapers in towards the waistband giving the fit a vintage vibe. The back pockets are placed fairly high which is quite flattering too imo. Neither wide nor straight I would describe them simply as a good standard jean, which is probably why its not as popular among repro heads.

Thank you you've certainly increased my interest, looking forward to seeing some photos of the black 505's!

Here's a size comparison between a new black 505s in size 36, and a pretty new 50s in size 36.

I wear my 50s a little larger than most western guys I think. I would describe the fit as relaxed everywhere. Waist a tiny bit bigger than my waist and no stretching.

505s are a little bit smaller in the waist. Very small stretch for me. Although the thigh is around the same as the 50s at the top they feel slimmer all over. Rock and roll fit.

Other TCB sizes I wear... 40s in 34, 30s in 34, 1890s in 34 (pics in this thread), Cats Drive in 34, Tabbys Work Pant in 34.

Don't try to go small on these.

PXL_20240910_224102037.thumb.jpg.e6d5164710135b3b9a34728fddfab687.jpgPXL_20240910_223957156.thumb.jpg.2b57a1b0887a0a1de891200c3a16048b.jpgPXL_20240910_223650768.thumb.jpg.3acfb49ae692c00ca6b2a42306032123.jpg

PXL_20240910_223423540.thumb.jpg.b10be544490ddcc3a3eb7283a2ac8d2f.jpgPXL_20240910_223314150.thumb.jpg.9efcd2d95b4401b97aa5df051f0658f7.jpgPXL_20240910_223236978.thumb.jpg.4bc0565243a0b82debcaa199ea529904.jpg

Thought I'd post my size 34s 50s now they're dry after their soak. Honestly I'm not 100% sure. I guess due to how 'crispy' they still are they aren't drapping how they eventually will look. In comparison fullcount 0105w 31s seem to just look better but then they are much softer. 31 in the FC's waist is too tight so I'm considering getting a 32 in those or sticking with these TCB 50s Thoughts? 

20240912_180816.jpg

20240912_180931.jpg

20240912_181148.jpg

Screenshot_20240912_181600_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240912_181608_Gallery.jpg

I really like that fit on you personally, and the denim will continue to shrink all round over time (not sure how much with this particular fabric but I assume a good bit). A slightly higher cuff (or small hem) can make a big difference in the drape as well, especially when the fabric’s broken in a bit more. I think one or two cuff turns, with no break, really helps give structure to the leg on these wider cuts.