Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Great tip superfuzz, that does seem to be more like what I'm looking for.

Digging though their instagram it looks like they're gearing up to launch a custom build website, definitely interested.

I guess when I see a higher heel arch like what's on some of their boots it looks a bit feminine to me.

I'm sure when worn (and in practicality, since most of their boots are geared towards hard wear) they don't have that same profile.

And awesome find rodeo_bill, nice piece of history there!

Is there a conclusion in whats "better" re whites vs nicks?  i feel like the answer at this point really is just that theyre all fucking good enough.

For quality control and overall durability, Nicks wins. For styling and cleaner lines, however, I'd go White's. Nicks just LOOK thick and chunkier, but that's because they actually are! Not a bad thing though, it just depends on what you're looking for!

FYI, Wranglerstar does give his two cents at the end of one of the videos (2 or 3, can't remember), and states that having seen Nicks, understand the process, and learn what Nicks does vs. what other companies don't (and what they skimp on), Nicks is his ultimate best boot out there. I trust his opinion.

Wesco Jobmaster        White's Smokejumper

march_14_15_019.jpg

7" Black Domain Wesco Packers:

QlMDm2y.jpg

NNNN - the stitching on your Wesco's looks really, really nice, if not impeccable. Great boots! 

Alden are sloppy on stitching? 

I've only tried on a pair of Indy's once, and the white toe stitching was wonky. The welt on the front 3/4 of the Indy looks a little odd to me - almost like it's supposed to be a storm welt, but it's not quite. 

apologies if this is kind of off-topic... we're having our chimney lined for a wood-burning stove, and it ended up being more complicated than planned, with holes knocked through into the wall cavities. Basically a massive pain, but out of one of the holes came this:

16604840047_62f9d3ce38_c.jpg

At first we figured it's just an old shoe, and it's got elastic on the side so I assumed it wasn't that old, but we've been looking at it a bit closer and it has some really cool details.

Scalloped panel copying the design of a button boot's placket:

16626041579_e7f4a5c1b6_c.jpg

Galosh cut with full leather counters:

16811022001_2c32b586b9_c.jpg

Heavily nailed heel:

16192206203_af03e748f4_c.jpg

Really nicely welted sole:

16811022981_d37bd02928_c.jpg

coloured striped tabs, and full canvas lining:

16192204523_5764e52a99_c.jpg

Wikipedia tells me that chelsea boots were patented in 1851 by Queen Victoria's shoemaker J. Sparkes-Hall. Our house was built in about 1870, and my guess is these have been in there since then. The guy installing our stove told us that shoes were often buried in walls around the chimney stack to ward off evil spirits, which this article backs up.

I think I'm going to contact the Northampton Museum Index of Concealed Shoes  :)

Great post. Thank you!

thanks! I have a follow-up, from The Northampton Shoe Museum:

Dear William and Deborah

Thank you very much for sending me the details of your exciting concealed boot find.

We do indeed have a concealed shoe index here at the museum, which was set up by Miss June Swann (author of one of the attached articles) who was the shoe curator here at the museum from 1950 until she retired in 1988. At the moment the index stands at approximately 1,900 entries from all over the U.K and also records concealed shoe finds in North America, Canada, and a number of countries in Europe including France, Spain and Poland.

I will certainly add your find to the index in due course.

It's what I know as a side elastic boot. Such a boot style with the elastic gussets was patented in 1837 by Mr J Sparkes Hall. It has the cloth boot pulls at the front and back to help pull the boot on. It is typical of a concealed find being very well worn.  The theory is that the good human spirit goes into the shoe and that good spirit will protect the house from evil spirits wanting to harm the house or its occupants. Concealed children’s shoes are popular because their spirit was considered purer and therefore more powerful. It’s an intriguing subject and incredibly popular. It also raises many questions that cannot now and probably never will be answered in full. It’s highly unlikely that the occupants hid the shoe as it is usually builders who through building work, extensions or renovations have exposed the house and so they need to make amends of some sort. I I think your boot is probably 1860s. It’s a great example. Will you be putting it back?

Best regards

Rebecca

The builders had already bricked and plastered up the hole before they showed us the shoe, so it's not easy to put it back at the moment. We're planning to get a glass box for it for the moment, and then maybe next time we have some work done we'll brick it back in- it's certainly not going to leave the house, anyway!

thanks to this thread, i think i may give nicks a call about getting a price for some oxfords like this in a different leather. it's pretty much exactly what i'm looking for in a boot i could use for work and casual use, minus the heel strap.

14048_nicks_boots_oxfords_natural01.jpg

Edited by Rob060

Been scouring the web for a good casual black derby and decided my bank account needed a little pummeling.  Bought these Viberg Derbies from The Bureau Belfast and don't regret it a bit.

VElXYKTl.jpg

Edited by sombrero

I feel bad for anyone who has to purchase the Nomads in Japan. That price converts to over $1,000 when these retail in the US for right around $400, and the version in the pics looks no different from what you can get ordering in the US.

These are worht $400 but nowhere near $1,000.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...