Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I'm very curious to actually wear them. They are really heavy, easily heavier than for example my RW 877. The leather is a nice oil tan, but the distressed outside has some "less hairy" spots. Hard to describe, it Looks like the leather has seen some wear and gotten a sheen. Might be the distressed characteristic. Doesn't bother me, but makes them look less over the top like my Vibergs. The rest ist awesome and I can't wait to wear them.

Now I just have to decide, wether I'll put these into the Boot Championship or the Vibergs Black Waxed Flesh...

Nice looking shoes, Max. I'm usually not a fan of white wedge soles, but I kinda dig those. I like that there're not too wedgy with a really high heel. I bet they will be super comfy to walk in for long distances. 

Re: weight - it's not surprising they are heavier than your RW's. As you know, this is other level. 

When you get to it, can you post a close-up pic of the welt. One of the things that bugs me about my re-build SJ's is how bulbous the stitch-down welt is. It looks terrible, IMO. 

as I said it every time we talked about these, they are awesome! and they work very well with your jeans.

hope the heel slip will fix. i have the exact same problem with every pair of mine but so far I never lost a shoe :D

are you using custom insoles? from what I can see the ones inside the Whites' look already darkened.

that's a vibram sole on those white's right max? think that's the sole version i was looking at possibly putting on my redwing 3140s when they needed it. i'm on my feet all day in them for work and i'm interested in your thoughts on the comfort and durability of the sole after some wear. the default red wing sole is really durable but the cushioning is pretty firm, so i was thinking of looking for something a little more plush, but i don't want to sacrifice too much durability. i tried the christy sole on some other boots and it seemed to be wearing out way too fast.

Edited by Rob060

The Vibram Sole feels definitely more plush than the RW crepe sole. Comfy as it can be, almost to the Point where it might feel a bit unstable (like I said, almost). But from other's I heard it should wear off pretty fast, so in Terms of durability the crepe sole should be the better Option.

great find, Aho!!! 

I'm saying it here, first - this is the year Nick's blows up. Get 'em while they're still reasonable... 

Great videos on the Nick's boots aho, making me want a pair.

I keep meaning to buy some boots and then I just end up buying more denim!

I guess my only issue is most of the photos on their website, makes every model look like they have a very high heel.

Maybe that's accurate and they do have a higher heel which isn't something I'm into personally.

I've got a couple pairs of Aldens and I want something a bit more rugged, so I've been thinking about Wesco or Nick's.

Broark, on their Instagram page Nick's posted some pics of a new low heel model, looks a bit like Viberg service boot to me. I think you might dig it. I really want to get a pair of Nick's oxfords, just don't have any extra money right now.

apologies if this is kind of off-topic... we're having our chimney lined for a wood-burning stove, and it ended up being more complicated than planned, with holes knocked through into the wall cavities. Basically a massive pain, but out of one of the holes came this:

16604840047_62f9d3ce38_c.jpg

At first we figured it's just an old shoe, and it's got elastic on the side so I assumed it wasn't that old, but we've been looking at it a bit closer and it has some really cool details.

Scalloped panel copying the design of a button boot's placket:

16626041579_e7f4a5c1b6_c.jpg

Galosh cut with full leather counters:

16811022001_2c32b586b9_c.jpg

Heavily nailed heel:

16192206203_af03e748f4_c.jpg

Really nicely welted sole:

16811022981_d37bd02928_c.jpg

coloured striped tabs, and full canvas lining:

16192204523_5764e52a99_c.jpg

Wikipedia tells me that chelsea boots were patented in 1851 by Queen Victoria's shoemaker J. Sparkes-Hall. Our house was built in about 1870, and my guess is these have been in there since then. The guy installing our stove told us that shoes were often buried in walls around the chimney stack to ward off evil spirits, which this article backs up.

I think I'm going to contact the Northampton Museum Index of Concealed Shoes  :)

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...