Levi's Vintage Clothing

On 10/18/2019 at 5:48 AM, lifted said:

so you think they could be authentic Levi's? from around the same '54 time period? can they possibly be '54 501Z model which would explain the zipper fly and taper cut? although the back tag is paper and not leather.

My post to which you are responding already made this clear. There is no way they are "true vintage" or LVC. Absolutely nothing is correct for either. And even without any specific jeans knowledge, you can look at the interior tag material, style, typeface, etc. and use your common sense and general used clothing instincts to see that they are likely from the late '80s at the very earliest – probably later.

As for whether they are actually Levi's or not, I have no idea. While they tend to scream "FAKE," the Levi's company have certainly made weirder combinations of features over the years.

The top button didn't look "right" to me in your initial pix, but I wasn't quite willing to make a judgment that it wasn't a real Levi's button based only on a low-res pic.

On 9/3/2019 at 9:50 PM, Dry said:

So far, loving the new Japanese denim put together in Bulgaria. We'll see how it pans out. After a 8 pair buying spree in the last few weeks, I've got 2 pairs of 1937s and 2 pairs of 1966s on the go (1 pair each normal fit and 1 pair each tight fit) and in the 1966s 1 pair of Cone 1966s tight and 1 pair Japanese normal fit, with duplicates for each still with tags in reserve. None have yet been washed. I'll probably have to avoid washing the tight fits for a while. Can anybody report on the Japanese denim's shrinkage?  

A few folks here have seen my denim three-pleat. This is the Cone synthetic 1880s fabric, which is lovely. Gnarly but not overdone. Although I like, for instance, the TCB fabric which looks great from afar, it is very high contrast and super-slubby close up. The Cone in comparison is far blue-er, and subtle.

DSCF9811.jpg

Now of course, thanks to Spiraltoy I have its companion, the same jacket in cotton duck.

DSCF9806.jpg
It's similar in construction to the denim version - but not the same. For a start, even though they're the same size, the pockets on the duck version are deeper.

It has some selvage detailing - although not as much as the duck pullover. It's a different fabric. I thought this wasn't Cone, but apparently it is, according to me anyway(!) Again, I thought this might be Turkish-made, but my 2013 story says it was sewn in LA

Here's a story on the development of the first duck replica fabric.

DSCF9809.jpg

Here is is alongside the duck pullover.

DSCF9814.jpg

DSCF9815.jpg

Edited by Paul T

These are the remains of a pair of little e selvedge bootcut Levis bought in July 1972 later converted into shorts and then used to reinforce the pulling fly button of a pair of Fullcount 1904 shorts. There is no number on the back of the top button. On the jerky patch only the number 0 remains visible and the care instructions inside are illegible. They were shrunk in a hot bath and the colour bled like crazy - sulphur dye? I never liked the colour.

IMG_20191022_2057099.jpg

IMG_20191022_2056410.jpg

Edited by Dry
Uploaded pic

On 10/4/2019 at 10:35 AM, Paul T said:

those 50s ones are nice but there's no real connection with a 66 pair. The pocket shape become more square partly because they didn't have to accommodate the rivet.

This is my old pair of circa '66 502. These were very beautiful with all lemon stitching. There are probably some differences from a contemporary 501, the bar tack is quite distinctive on this pair.

But this is what to me is a quintessential 66 shape: lovely parallel stitching on the sides, and less of a splay than the 55. But still some splay. The arcuate is shallower obviously, than typical 50s jeans, but there are plenty shallower still .

Yet... I just looked at all the Japanese LVC reissues from around 2000 with lots of '60s replicas including the 502. Japanese LVC tended to have more different models (they would have Japaese repros alongside the US ones). There was nothing even vaguely similar to this, in terms of shape or arcuate  - essentially because they based their repros on different originals, and there was so much variation in the 60s especially from factory to factory and probably operator to operator.

2horsepatchsmall.jpg

This is the pocket shape of my 1969 pair - note how far apart the seams are at the sides and along the bottom and the thick  'sewed with the finest thread'.

https://pin.it/boholjop47tayx

3 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

(Pre-LVC) Capital E range I’d think.

Absolutely. They had some generic features (did they have a crotch rivet?) but the fabric in particular was great. I dropped into Valencia Street over that period, around Dec 1994, and got into a little argy-bargy as I was wearing the Euro selvage 101J. Those do look great.

I was living in SF for around nine months, they only did the tours for an occasional walk-thru, there were no denim nerds whatsoever, just bored retired peeps I think. They had big stashes of Big E tags in tupperware boxes, not that many people sewing, and the foreman wasn't that informative  - nor did I know that much then, about Cone or anyone, possibly I even asked him whether they'd sold the looms to Japan!  Of course I really regret that back then I didn't have a decent camera that would work in low light so I took no photos.

Shame it matters so much... as in places like Valencia and Cone aren't around any more.