Levi's Vintage Clothing

3 hours ago, kicks79 said:

From my understanding, LVC is a very small part of what Levis does as a global company and I don't think its a very profitable part of their business. How many people here actually purchase full price LVC for example? 

Somebody who wears 36x36 must have been willing to pay full price because every time I went to find them they were always out of stock...Lol

Any idea where LVC would source their denim once White Oak inventories are exhausted? As was reported here several months ago, those old looms and shuttles were piece-mealed out with no large buyer of them to re- start selvedge manufacturing elsewhere?

Edited by Pedro

Most of my LVCs are 36/34 and 36/36. I have never paid full pice for a pair of LVCs. I only buy when sales hit at least 20 percent off, and many of my pairs (and jackets) were bought significantly lower than that.

1 hour ago, 428CJ said:

Most of my LVCs are 36/34 and 36/36. I have never paid full pice for a pair of LVCs. I only buy when sales hit at least 20 percent off, and many of my pairs (and jackets) were bought significantly lower than that.

My bad, it was your post providing several measurements to VivaMarlon.

Was only joking anyway since you have a nice collection of 34” & 36” and I can never find them in stock.

Very helpful measurements on your ‘33 vs ‘55.

I am not surprised members here seldom pay full price but not sure how many would fess up if they did...Lol

In 3 years when the last of White Oak denim LVC can only be found in history books then I think many here will be glad to pay full price if only Levis still sold them.

I would not pay full price on LVC either but have recently made SC purchases that have been north of $220 without the feeling I was overpaying.

Edited by Pedro

Outside of the Levi's dot com end-of-year blowouts (where I picked up the majority of my LVC stuff at at least 30 percent, and some of it for insanely less), Cultizm is my go-to LVC retailer. Firstly, their standard LVC price is about $225, not $260 or $285, like the Levi's Website. Then on top of that, they usually run several 20 percent off sales per year, and they even go to 25 percent one or two times a year – sometimes with free shipping, even to the U.S.A. from Germany. When I order from them, I usually pay about $180 for a pair, plus about $10 shipping (unless the sale also includes free shipping), and sometimes a bit less if I catch the 25% sale. Other than my two pairs of 1880's, which I got from Levi's dot com for 30 percent off of 50 percent off ($210 for $600 list price jeans), the most I've paid for a pair of LVCs is $190 with shipping. The least I have paid is $72 for my '66's (straight from Levi's). Second least is about $105 per pair for my two pairs of 1915's (straight from Levi's UK). All my LVC is Rigid, except my second TPB, which is single rinse (could not resist it at the insanely low blowout price from Levi's dot com: $140.

13 hours ago, kicks79 said:

From my understanding, LVC is a very small part of what Levis does as a global company and I don't think its a very profitable part of their business. How many people here actually purchase full price LVC for example?

I suspect White Oak closing had a large reason to do with Levis going public. Perhaps the writing was already on the wall for the future of LVC?

I can't really see LVC being able to continue, at least not in its current form, and certainly not with the added pressure from shareholders to deliver profit and results. 

I'm not party to what's going on, but White Oak has nothing to do with Levi's floating. They're simply a supplier, and not a huge one.

The worldwide men's head of design, an ex Sufu regular who joined  in the long run up to flotation, is a big LVC fan. I can't see why it wouldn't continue. You normally strip down a company to improve profit margins before you float it.

As for who'll take over re selvedge, as mentioned before it will likely be Kurabo, with whom LVC have a longstanding relationship.

Edited by Paul T

picked them up on impulse as the denim in hand is quite something.

haven't given the '76 a full machine wash: want to keep 'em crispy for now... they have yet to be officially paired off with something appropriate [I am eyeing up a bdu for post-apocalypse-now ethos]  

the cut seems less slim than I feared... quite square, full-ish thighs, a fairly generous form of mid rise, hem around 8.5?

waist got back to original-ish size after soak and day's wear... length lost approx 2 1/2 inches... 

who knows what a full machine was will do tho...

[lots of info and fits on the '76 from around 2017 / around page 633 of this thread...]

11 minutes ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

picked them up on impulse as the denim in hand is quite something.

haven't given the '76 a full machine wash: want to keep 'em crispy for now... they have yet to be officially paired off with something appropriate [I am eyeing up a bdu for post-apocalypse-now ethos]  

the cut seems less slim than I feared... quite square, full-ish thighs, a fairly generous form of mid rise, hem around 8.5?

waist got back to original-ish size after soak and day's wear... length lost approx 2 1/2 inches... 

who knows what a full machine was will do tho...

[lots of info and fits on the '76 from around 2017 / around page 633 of this thread...]

What length inseam, and what temperature soak? How long was the soak?

I am just trying to predict inseam shrinkage on my '76's (which I have yet to wear).

Thanks.

'76 tag sized leg 34 went to approx 31.5

in warm bath but not scalding - about 20/25 minutes

setterman's measurements on pg.633 should be pretty accurate for fully washed [he gives raw and washed]

[edit: mine -36w-34l from soak are [in cm]: w-47, fr-31, l-80]

good luck with the soak when it comes

edit: rough n ready fit on the '76

Untitled.png

Untitled 2.png

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

I need some advice on a pair of jeans that are on sale online. Do you guys think they’re fake?

i can see a big e red tab and some selvage but the pics are shit and I won’t be getting any more unfortionally. This is the best pic of the bunch:

1204A5AB-F27A-4C01-919C-042D123459E3.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

seems to be thai fake, though thai fake levis a killer faders. and aren´t japan repros fake after all!? ;)

http://www.levisguide.com/fakes/fake.html

Great info and link.

I have seen construction workers wearing Levi brand and couldn’t think how they afforded them since even 2nd hand market is pricey at JJ and  at MBK.

I will ask a couple of them over next few days. 

There's what I think is a good guide to fakes here!

Those do look dodgy, if they have selvage. They are extra wide leather-like, for the 'stock control' section, but the wider part on the right should be serrated, so dealers can tear off that strip to record what they've sold. I could only tell for sure with a couple more photos.

Edited by Paul T

4 hours ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

seems to be thai fake, though thai fake levis a killer faders. and aren´t japan repros fake after all!? ;)

http://www.levisguide.com/fakes/fake.html

I would call what the Japanese do more an homage than fake but I certainly wouldn’t mind a fake as long as it’s well made and wears well. Thanks all for your input.

Here’s another pic. They do look like fakes don’t they? Quite tasteful though.

25628405-CE36-4190-AA64-314112B0C7E3.jpeg

11 hours ago, Paul T said:

the wider part on the right should be serrated, so dealers can tear off that strip to record what they've sold. I could only tell for sure with a couple more photos.

:ph34r2: I was once told that you'd tear off the strip and keep it for future reference to know what size to get when you go shopping for jeans! You never stop learning...

just got myself lvc 501 1966 size 32W 32L fits comfortably bit roomy in the thigh. waist is comfortable have not done my first soak which i must do as i like some of the starch out. im i risking the waist becoming too small. Also im not worried about length as i can almost get away with 30L. how much do they stretch back in the waist,

thanks 

1 hour ago, SF2Turbo said:

just got myself lvc 501 1966 size 32W 32L fits comfortably bit roomy in the thigh. waist is comfortable have not done my first soak which i must do as i like some of the starch out. im i risking the waist becoming too small. Also im not worried about length as i can almost get away with 30L. how much do they stretch back in the waist,

thanks 

If you want to get rid of the raw feel, I'd go ahead and shrink them. After shrinking, try them on wet. If the waist is a struggle to get into, then do the wear till dry routine. That will get your waist stretched very fast.

'66's have the widest waist to thigh difference of any LVC cut. The "bell" shape and roomy things are well suited to those with your typical "healthy, athletic" male form: big legs and but, drawn in waistline.

2 hours ago, eeejayaich said:

I have braced the waist of my Roy’s and have had good success keeping the waist from shrinking through 2 machine washes. You must keep the brace in place until the jeans dry...

What’s bracing the waist please show example I’m pretty new to the forum thanks

Edited by SF2Turbo

@SF2Turbo While the jeans are wet and with the buttons done up, stick a length of wood between the waist to keep it taut. I found if you measure it so that there is a bit of a struggle to fit it while it’s dry is the best. 

or use something called "inch master" - easier to use, flexible in the amount of stretch/shrinkage you want and does not put stress on on the button holes...