a baselayer is what you wear next to skin, such as an undershirt, underwear, legging/longjohns. you don't want it to be loose. you want it for moisture management, keeping your core temperature and quick drying. try to get some with merino wool. too much positive has been said about it. here's a quick link with some info on them

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/underwear.html

link for layered clothing so you don't freeze to death in the snow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layered_clothing

one of the great things about merino for baselayer use is it's inherent antimicrobial quality, keeping unpleasant smells at bay.

polyester based products will be quicker drying and more durable, but they exhibit petri dish-like qualities over time.

inkinsurgent, good looking pieces for sale. I'm a fan of the Arcteryx LEAF stuff even if it seems super tactical. I was looking at the Naga in wolf, but can't justify it just yet.

the naga is an interesting piece, but it's design is so heavily function driven that unless you rock a plate carrier to work, it will look out of place in just about any situation. as the leaf line evolves, their designs are becoming more and more specialized to the point that they're impossible to incorporate in a fit even for the most eccentric of techninji.

their more legacy, mountaineering oriented leaf products are still kickass pieces for around town and outdoors wear, but even the newer versions of those are 'updated' with boxier, baggier cuts at the request of their end users.

Since I don't think there's a wintersport thread, what are some suggestions for ski gloves? I've been using the same pair for like 10 years, and every year I tell myself I'm going to buy a new pair after having miserable cold hands. Looking at the Arcteryx beta ar glove right now

Since I don't think there's a wintersport thread, what are some suggestions for ski gloves? I've been using the same pair for like 10 years, and every year I tell myself I'm going to buy a new pair after having miserable cold hands. Looking at the Arcteryx beta ar glove right now

Stop looking then. You aren't going to find a better glove. (Assuming you aren't going to be riding in conditions colder than -20'C)

Black diamond Lobster glove...

Hands down...

Nike just came out with a "wool dri-fit" which is nearly a 50/50 blend that I want to try out.

I have a half zip top with the 50/50 blend. it was sorta itchy at first, but smooths out after a wear. i haven't worn it in a long time, so my experience with it is sort of fogged.. I don't think it would keep you too warm as it's meant for running/moisture wicking, but it was definitely nice for running. I like the look/feel of the material as well. some of the same material used for some of the old gyakusou line

NAU has 30% off jackets right now. Some slightly interesting stuff, but haven't been a huge fan of the cut/design of their jackets.

Dont know about the rest but i've owned their riding jacket v2 for a little over a year now and cant say enough good things about it. The fit is as close as you can get and still be tts without restricting movement, and the softshell fabric is some of the best i've encountered, crazy water repellent and extremely breathable. Obviously you're not getting any crazy laminated 3d arc'teryx construction, but you're not exactly paying veilance prices either.

Edited by Inkinsurgent

Most of the sleeves on Nau stuff is a lot longer than you'd expect. A lot of it is made with biking in mind -- I don't own the Riding Jacket (yet), but I've tried it on and the sleeves are just long enough on the medium (I'm usually a 40L in jackets).

I typically wear a large in their stuff, but tried on the medium since it was all REI had -- I was actually surprised the sleeves were as long as they were.

^ Interesting... It could be me just being fooled by stock photos. The Riding Jacket is what I was looking at and most interested in. However, the cut on the model didn't seem all that nice. Also how is the sleeve length? Mind putting up a fit pic of the jacket?

The sleeves are long. Not as in techwear long, as in crazy long. As brooks mentioned, this is because of their biking background. I'm exactly 6' and wear a size S and the sleeves come to my knuckles when i hang my arms by my sides. However, for some reason it doesn't really bother me and it does work great on a bike.

The nau stock pics look like ass mainly because the guy wearing them seems to have really small shoulders and a huge head, making everything look disproportional. One of the things i really like about the jacket is the shoulder block. Also, buttoning all three buttons makes you look like a nazi camp doctor, if you stick to the middle button only it has a much more conventional silhouette.

What's good to keep in mind though is that due to the fabric, which is attractive as far as synthetics go, but still a synthetic, it won't pass as a suit jacket. Consider it a smart looking sports jacket. I'll see if i can whip up a fit pic this weekend.

The sleeves are long. Not as in techwear long, as in crazy long.

You had me at long.

I'm 6"3 with a 38" chest, so finding long jackets that come close to fitting is a real rarity. Since you wear a small, mind sharing what your chest meaurement is so that I can get an idea of their sizing?