It's probably silly of me to ask, but is there any decent techwear outerwear that is less than $150? I'm a student in need of a good jacket, but I'm not in need of an empty wallet. Any help is appreciated!

In response to Aleph Null and Spudeey, it depends on what you mean by your tech prefix. The techwear that is often featured in this thread comes at a premium because of the detailing and advanced fabrics used. It is possible to get a shell for $150-200, but rarely will you find that this shell is free of external branding, features additional pockets, has webbing attached, or is made out of advanced fabrics. The lower price point reflects the amount of labor and quality of materials. That said, aesthetically pleasing shells still exist in this range, even if they are not gore-tex.

The Patagonia Rain Shadow (189.00) has a nice two-tone grey color scheme or comes in all black, Mountain Hardware Versteeg (160.00) is reviewed as form fitting and I've had good experiences with their jackets, but try to find somewhere to try jackets on in person. Jackets especially will often be cut full for hikers/skiers who want movement and don't care if the price they pay is the aesthetics of the jacket.

My current Gore-Tex jacket I managed to buy for 15 bucks while working for a thrift store during the summer. Take that into consideration when you go looking for a jacket. Purchasing clothes that are passable and will last you until you can purchase your ideal pieces has been a lovely strategy for me so far.

xh11t.jpg

Only because I like you guys. Its a high price point but I really want to get these for winter and the many rainy days ahead in Seattle. The black commando sole just makes me happy. Also, on Outlier socks, I got three pair to get the discount and I absolutely love them. They are warm and the stretch is in just the right places, but I will also report back after washing.

It's probably silly of me to ask, but is there any decent techwear outerwear that is less than $150? I'm a student in need of a good jacket, but I'm not in need of an empty wallet. Any help is appreciated!

You can try out some more well known outfitters like Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops. They usually have house brand gear that is pretty good all things considered. Hunting for new gear on Ebay is always an option as well. I've definitely came up there a few times.

Marmot offers good quality at a moderate price point, and is generally a little more understated in design than some other outdoor brands.

Marmot offers good quality at a moderate price point, and is generally a little more understated in design than some other outdoor brands.

I got the Marmot Kingpin for about $150 - amazing jacket - at an amazing price.

Try here for more with great reductions too:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.search&source.x=0&source.y=0&searchvalue=marmot

Check out Eddie Bauer's First Ascent line. For my outdoor gear, I usually pick it over even my Arcteryx stuff based on performance. The price point is VERY GOOD considering the quality if you get it when it goes on sale pretty frequently (seems like every other month at the very least - and a quick check shows they have a sale going on now). They have some of the best down in the industry.

It is outdoors/mountaineering based, so there are lots of bright colors and an occasional logo, but they do plenty in black and gray that would fit in around town. Check out the Microtherm Down Shirt and Downlight Sweater for insulating pieces or they have versions of both with hard shells built on top of the down pieces. Good soft shells, too. Haven't been ultra impressed by the fleece offerings, but everything else (packs and gloves and baselayers, included) I've tried has been top of the line.

you cant return those if theyre worn

never planned on returning them. Just mean it's hard to say whether they're good or bad since I haven't really worn them yet. I'm still looking for some decent footwear sneakers that doesn't look too ridiculous and can take a beating.

Edited by captainkim

Looking for some help with Shadow Project 'Convert' pants.

Anyone got these and advise whether they were worth purchasing - am looking at getting either the shorts or the pants and would like to know how they feel etc andthe general fit.

Not overly worried about the properties as it is more of the aesthetics I am concerned with first their technical prowess come in second though !

I am looking for a holdall/weekender that can be carried onto a aeroplane as cabin baggage.

anything the discerning techninja of this thread would recommend?

thought about the acronym 3a-6ts but if I am honest it is out of my price range but still very tempting none the less. there is killspencer but I would need a proxy for that and I am not entirely sure about it.

any options, ideas etc would be most welcome :)

muji luggage is great and glides so smoothly...

does anyone know if this nike 'ftbl' duffle bag ever released?

by far one of the dopest bags ever... folds flat like an oversized tote and also expands

video in action (at 5:40)

vGGW0.jpg

lQvZr.jpg

I have only ever had the North Face Nupstse down before but am intrigued by the ISA ORA 4 way stretch down jacket :

8333824932_a0430b355f_c.jpg

Isaora-online-fw12-49_1024x1024 by That Old Serpent, on Flickr

Anyone here got one and how does it compare to the Nuptse in regards to fit, feel & performance ?

Bagged those Adidas too so will post up fit pics after they arrive.

Happy new year !

I have the Nau Urbane jacket from last year's run, I believe. I know they changed it for this year, but I'm not sure exactly what.

It could definitely do with an extra couple inches in the torso. Granted I'm tall (6'4'') but for a rain jacket, it's definitely short. That aside, it performs great considering it isn't GoreTex or eVent or something. I still like it

I just ordered the Highline Blazer on Gilt ($415 MSRP selling on there for $129). I'd had my eye on the Riding Jacket or Vice Blazer, but for that price, I couldn't pass it up.

I know it's been a couple weeks, but I wanted to close out the convo by letting people know I kept the jacket and I'm very happy with my decision. I'm 6"3 and I'd suggest NAU as a brand for any taller, thin dudes looking for good fitting outerwear that isn't too expensive.

This jacket is awesome and I've received a lot of positive feedback from friends, family, and the girlfriend.