Are force tens still ridiculously baggy? Thats what kept me from getting the amphibs a couple of years back.

You had me at long.

I'm 6"3 with a 38" chest, so finding long jackets that come close to fitting is a real rarity. Since you wear a small, mind sharing what your chest meaurement is so that I can get an idea of their sizing?

Im pretty much exactly a 38" chest as well. Be advised however that the overall body lenght is kinda short as far as blazers go, probably also due to their cycling dna.

Their stuff is produced in China, but still at a high quality level. Feels great and durable, just pretty expensive in Europe

Some of their shells are made in Canada, if you want to know which ones, just e-mail them, they are nice.

Is there any reason you techfolk don't discuss Patagonia more? Is it just personal preference or is their a specific reason you avoid it as a brand.

IMO Most of their desings are not very urban at all, Patagonia aesthetics are really more outdoor-hiking oriented.

Is there any reason you techfolk don't discuss Patagonia more? Is it just personal preference or is their a specific reason you avoid it as a brand.

I'm in a kind of transition from straight up techwear to urban techwear, so I've kinda been through this thought process myself recently. I think the main things that hold Patagonia back are the cut of most of their outwear (boxy), colors (bright instead of dark) and the ever-present labels. Their style is just generally geared towards performance in outdoor sports rather than looking at home around town.

I will say my patagucci out preforms and costs less than all the techwear i own. I wear it more often due to NW climate. Just pro formed some new powderbowl pants and a retro-x fleece.

Trying to get my hands on MARS gear, would like to know if anyone here has experience.

patagonia_r2_mars_01.jpg

Edited by EG562

^ i have a patagonia mars slingshot and used to have a rain shadow. The mars kit was cutting edge around 2005 but it's pretty dated as far as materials and features go nowadays.

Patagonia actually has a shitload of current gov and unit contracts that are pretty crazy but they're really good at keeping them away from the public.

Not bad for an off-the-rack fit! You're right that it's short in the body, but that seems like a logical concession to make since it's techwear blazer as opposed to a traditional suit jacket.

I'll have to check out some of their stuff in person to see if I can get a similar fit.

whats the word on Aether outerwear?

i have the polar trench (fyi designed genius) and alto and both are phenomenal; on par with outlier in terms of the thought, economy and care that goes into each piece.

I'm in a kind of transition from straight up techwear to urban techwear, so I've kinda been through this thought process myself recently. I think the main things that hold Patagonia back are the cut of most of their outwear (boxy), colors (bright instead of dark) and the ever-present labels. Their style is just generally geared towards performance in outdoor sports rather than looking at home around town.

can't argue with the last statement although they do have a multitude of cuts available. plus that shit goes on sale

I have a jacket that I can cold hand wash only and no tumble dry.

not sure if i should just use woolite or buy the special granger stuff

don't use woolite, it has bleach in it

My local stockist gave me a similar warning for the Veilance Galvanic IS Coat when I stopped by to try it on back in October. Judging soley by the fill power listed for the Coat and Field Jacket they should be warm enough so it's disconcerting that they aren't doing the job...

What are you looking for in a replacement (besides warmth)? Have you considered a Ten-C jacket + liner?

Edited by SuE

I find it quite surprising you feel cold the Insulated Filed jacket (in not so extreme winter) and I doubt that Ten-C will be any better, the liner is very short (doesn't even fully cover your waist) and their jackets are not windproof.

Also, I don't get could be wrong with Canada Goose...

Just playing devils advocate here, but isn't the average CG jacket quite a bit cheaper than the Veilance jacket you're trying to replace? I understand your concerns about quality and price with CG, but a lot of the time I'm worried about the same thing when I look at the insulated Veilance jackets. Obviously the Veilance stuff is beautiful and well constructed, but it's not nearly as warm as I'd expect for the price point. I can't imagine any of it being enough to keep me comfortable when it drops to -20 C, even if I am just doing "urban" things.

As a Canadian, that's my main beef with urban techwear in general. I find a lot of it looks REALLY nice, but I don't know how much of it is actually built to stand up to the worst of our winters.

I can't imagine any of it being enough to keep me comfortable when it drops to -20 C, even if I am just doing "urban" things.

As a Canadian, that's my main beef with urban techwear in general. I find a lot of it looks REALLY nice, but I don't know how much of it is actually built to stand up to the worst of our winters.

What I think is most puzzling with my Veilance Field Jacket is that it lacks drawstring adjusters at the hem. All the heat just disappears and it doesn't keep me warm at all.. Good for cycling but not much else.

Just playing devils advocate here, but isn't the average CG jacket quite a bit cheaper than the Veilance jacket you're trying to replace? I understand your concerns about quality and price with CG, but a lot of the time I'm worried about the same thing when I look at the insulated Veilance jackets. Obviously the Veilance stuff is beautiful and well constructed, but it's not nearly as warm as I'd expect for the price point. I can't imagine any of it being enough to keep me comfortable when it drops to -20 C, even if I am just doing "urban" things.

Well, I don't pay retail for Veilance, but I understand your argument. However, with the most recent price hike, I don't think you can get away with saying quite a bit cheaper. (Most of the -30 pieces are $800+)

I think the Insulated pieces Veilance makes are wonderful for casual winter-wear, but for those mornings where I need to shovel out my car or If I just want to enjoy a beautiful Canadian winter day, I'll have to find an alternative.

Down filled : Aspesi, crescent down, woolrich??

But down doesn't cut it wet so as we're on tech..

I haven't fully tested this one yet but my Bora from Finisterre held up nicely in -10 with 7 bft howlin winds and snow.. http://www.finisterreuk.com/shop/mens/clothing/mens-outerwear/bora-black.html

It got a bit soggy but stayed warm, pick up one of their bowmont sweats along with it and yer good to go..

I also tried it under my regular field jacket and that still fits.. Maybe swap the insulated for a regular one and get a separate insulator??

ok another issue - im trying restore the DWR on a jacket that I cannot tumble dry.

and it seems like the consensus is that Grangers/Nik-wash Tx direct spray works better after a tumble dry.

any ideas?

^ i guess this can do the trick.. or maybe i should use a blow dryer

Edited by mr.invincible

Well, I don't pay retail for Veilance, but I understand your argument. However, with the most recent price hike, I don't think you can get away with saying quite a bit cheaper. (Most of the -30 pieces are $800+)

Wow! I didn't realize CG was so pricey now. Last I saw they were around $600, but I'm clearly out of touch.

so i breakdance, and normally this requires a separate change of clothes from what im wearing on a daily basis. ive always thought it would be dope as hell if i could buy some pants that were up for the challenge of an occasional throwdown.

what do you all urban tech ninjas recommend in terms of pants that can withstand some flexing and more importantly friction/sliding on them. im not getting hit by branches and poured on by rain or anything. also ideally it comes in a fairly mundane 5 pocket or chino variation?

anything? thanks doods

ok another issue - im trying restore the DWR on a jacket that I cannot tumble dry.

and it seems like the consensus is that Grangers/Nik-wash Tx direct spray works better after a tumble dry.

any ideas?

^ i guess this can do the trick.. or maybe i should use a blow dryer

You could also check in with your dry cleaner..I know mine uses a stain repellant on my light coloured jackets.

Think there has got to be something for a DWR