Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

I kinda like the "worn out" look of the Hawaii patch

4312186552_961bb154e6_z.jpg

Still thinking about picking up a pair...

I agree on both counts b_f - I like the patch better without hair and the indigo color and texture of the Hawaii jeans are beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...

^^ indigo dying in the back yard - beautiful - do you have a natural indigo vat - need some pics pronto!!

Synthetic indigo -- maybe in a few years when I know what I'm doing I'll splurge on the natural stuff. For my purposes, synthetic is just fine (and chemically identical, so NBD for me).

Here's a picture of my Okinawa Rainbows -- I still haven't given them that wash I promised.

7652075228_28e5dcfbd4_c.jpg

The shoes are vans authentics I dyed myself over the course of 3 days. More pics at my blog.

• 2 weeks later...

Are rainbow okis still in stock anywhere online? Need a 32.

Not that I know of. I got mine at Craft Workwear before they closed. Try calling History Preservation and see if they can get you a pair -- seems like a long shot though.

I'll keep my eyes open.

D.

How do you size for the rainbow Okinawa, tts or down 1-2?

(really tempted to add this to the queue, the denim does look really good...)

These are a serious workwear fit. Gotta wear them high up on the hips or else you'll get anti-fit diaper butt from hell. Measure at the navel and experiment with 30s styles before you buy (especially if you have a gut like me). Best bet is to try on a pair of some 30s stye LVC post-wash and measure based on that.

The thighs are going to be loose regardless of sizing down or not. I got the correct waist size on mine and could probably gather/pinch at least two inches of fabric across the thighs. They would be super comfortable for working, especially in hot weather since the denim is thin, but they do not fit like the Okis or hawaiis at all IMO.

Yes, I got my true waist size (32), and the legs just draped on me. Seriously, there's no way to size those down small enough in the waist to get a snug thigh fit. They're just not cut that way. Like another poster mentioned, they're more of a 30's vintage cut. Honestly, If you aren't into super loose fitting denim, don't bother. They're way too expensive. Also, because of the loose fit, you won't get many creases or honeycombs at all. I appreciated the beautiful denim, but the cut was silly on me. I'm only 5'8". They would look much better on a taller person. Hope this helps. Not trying to discourage you, but if you drop $300 on them and don't like them, you will take a pretty bit hit on the resale. I barely got $100 for mine.

If you go with the one wash models, they'll fit much better. They run TTS or if you're in between sizes, one up. I find the fit in the seat, thighs, etc much more flattering and comfortable on the one wash then the raws. These are classic active/workwear repro's made to have a little more room, 40's, early 50's style. The SExSC's, 1947 lot 2009 versions are more modern and slim fitting.

Hello peoples... Any info about the 285 series grey jeans? I have had a pair for about 2 years and know nothing about them.The rep said they were a inspired cut. Any help would be appreciated. :cool:

^^It's amazing how many colors show up in that denim. I thought it was the weft threads that were rainbow. Is it actually the warp that are rainbow, then dyed indigo?

Correct! They did a collaboration with an okinawa brand called "begin" where the weft was the rainbow thread without indigo dye. There's a guy on flickr with lots of pics of his -- totally different look!

hey guys!

Just wanted to get some input on my pair of sugar cane okinawas. I had bought these years ago from self edge SF. Sadly I have hardly worn them. Due to my weight lost I feel like they are way to baggy. Especially around the seat/butt area. I have been doing some searching and reading around these forums about these jeans. Some were saying this is how they were meant to be because they take after the levi 1947 501xx. I just feel that maybe even for that cut they are to baggy. I guess since society has this image in their head that jeans are suppose to be slim and fitting now and days.

Also if there is anything you guys would recommend like shrinking or tailoring.

I have been thinking of picking up a different pair. So these may go on sale. Just not sure about it yet.

Sugar Cane Okinawa

Waist - 37

Inseam - 35

Thigh - 13.6

Leg Opening - 9.8

Rise - 12.5

I have only wash these once

4yjUm.jpg

Edited by Kite3234