Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

there's not much going on yet...been wearing my resolute more lately. i'll post some pictures up when there is something worth showing. There are good faded pair of 2009 afew pages back if you havent seen that already...

show us more of the resolute!

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Need some help here.

I'd like to get a pair of sc1947 (the original, fuller cut).

Here's my issue. I have a brand new never worn okinawa in one wash 36, but it measures 32 in the waist. If I pull tightly on the waist band, it measures 34 but not a stitch over that (and that's a tight pull). Beautiful fitting jean everywhere else, except in the waist, and I just chalked this up to maybe sc denim shrinking below tagged size like some of those lot10 Samurai.

So, if I'd like an actual 36 waist should I go with the 47 in one wash 36 or 38?

Of course, I could check sizing charts, but no sizing chart I've ever seen lists a one wash oki in 36 with an actual 32-34 waist, so I'm wary of size charts alone.

Thanks

get the 36, the jeans will stretch out a bit

Need some help here.

I'd like to get a pair of sc1947 (the original, fuller cut).

Here's my issue. I have a brand new never worn okinawa in one wash 36, but it measures 32 in the waist. If I pull tightly on the waist band, it measures 34 but not a stitch over that (and that's a tight pull). Beautiful fitting jean everywhere else, except in the waist, and I just chalked this up to maybe sc denim shrinking below tagged size like some of those lot10 Samurai.

So, if I'd like an actual 36 waist should I go with the 47 in one wash 36 or 38?

Of course, I could check sizing charts, but no sizing chart I've ever seen lists a one wash oki in 36 with an actual 32-34 waist, so I'm wary of size charts alone.

Thanks

Okinawas....

13617e80.jpg

this is indeed beautiful but I've always wondered: if it's supposed to be natural indigo from Okinawa, why then does it fade so rapidly? Isn't natural indigo notoriously hard to fade? My pair faded within a few months and I didn't do anything different with them. By far they have been my fastest fading pair of japanese denim

not sure about this pair, but usually I think natural indigo is slow fading partly because it is usually hank dyed to the core, so there really is no white yarns for it to fade it to fade to. You can also rope dye with natural indigo and it won't penetrate the yarns to the core, so the jeans will tend to fade more naturally.

I may not have the hank dyed/rope dyed distinction correct but I think the rest is mostly right.

Hi guys, I'm currently looking to buy my first pair of Japanese denim "high end" jeans. I'm not a big breaking-in guy. I try to be, but after about 2-3 months I usually give up and wash my raw jeans (until now, I only owned Uniqlo, LVC 505s, and APC New Standards), so I have never reached a really good fade.

As a newbie, would it be better to go with washed jeans, like the Sugar Cane SC41947 "One Wash" or "Hard Wash" - what do you guys think of these? They seem to be the fit I'm looking for (slimmer) and I can't ruin them by premature washing. Or should I go for raw denim once more and try to keep up the non-washing regimen one more time...?

If raw, which Sugar Cane model would be a "1947 501" - type fit?

Thank you for your help

Hi guys, I'm currently looking to buy my first pair of Japanese denim "high end" jeans. I'm not a big breaking-in guy. I try to be, but after about 2-3 months I usually give up and wash my raw jeans (until now, I only owned Uniqlo, LVC 505s, and APC New Standards), so I have never reached a really good fade.

As a newbie, would it be better to go with washed jeans, like the Sugar Cane SC41947 "One Wash" or "Hard Wash" - what do you guys think of these? They seem to be the fit I'm looking for (slimmer) and I can't ruin them by premature washing. Or should I go for raw denim once more and try to keep up the non-washing regimen one more time...?

If raw, which Sugar Cane model would be a "1947 501" - type fit?

Thank you for your help

Sugar Cane 1947's (standard cut) are not "slimmer" unless worn sized down. And from my personal experience (47 and 66), I'd run out of room at the waist before the rest of the jean would fit slim. Going off of the jeans you've already worn, if you want a slim fit you'd want something like the SC2009.

Not washing isn't the key to good fading, dedicated daily wear is. And there's more to a nicely faded pair of jeans that just contrast, combs, and whiskers.

Sugar Cane 1947's (standard cut) are not "slimmer" unless worn sized down. And from my personal experience (47 and 66), I'd run out of room at the waist before the rest of the jean would fit slim. Going off of the jeans you've already worn, if you want a slim fit you'd want something like the SC2009.

Not washing isn't the key to good fading, dedicated daily wear is. And there's more to a nicely faded pair of jeans that just contrast, combs, and whiskers.

^ Furthermore, there is the 1947 Type II which is slightly slimmer than the original, but like Setterman said, far from slim fitting.

Nothing wrong with wanting some pre-washed denim, but "one-wash" just means that it's been washed once at the factory in an attempt to get rid of all the shrinkage. I say you go for the one-wash if you dont want to hassle with soaking the denim yourself. Wear and wash whenever you feel like it and see how they turn out. For what it's worth I washed and wore my 1947s whenever I felt like it and never really followed any "rules". After a few months and the first wash I just didn't care all that much and didn't want to turn wearing denim into a chore.

Thank you.That sounds quite encouraging for me to try raw denim once more. To be honest, I now learned that I always made the mistake of not soaking first. The main concern is the fit now. The SC2009 looks like it's what I want. I understand this is a slim fit, but not skinny, ie stretchy looking? I like the fit of the LVC 505s or APC New Standard as they are narrow but not skinny. I'm a skinny but older guy so anything that looks too fashionable or hipster-ish will look really sad and try-hard on me :-) I guess I will have to order a pair and see for myself.

I will also consider other brands like Samurai, Momotaro or Warehouse, but as this is the Sugar Cane thread, I guess you guys don't know which models are the fit I'm looking for?

Thank you

Peterparker, I do that with all my raw denim to get max shrinkage ASAP. I never soak. I wash at 40 or 60 with a slow spin speed.

It's fine, I've never had any creasing/streaky issues yet.

Edit: always done inside out and in a front-loading machine.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

yeah, the spin is what can put creases in. But, I usually leave my washer on medium spin when washing my jeans, and it's only put a crease in one pair (Warehouse). It hasn't bothered Sugar Canes or LVC. The washer will give the denim a little bit of marbling overall, but I find that appealing.

in my experience (with my shitty jeans), the vertical tub washers tend to get my jeans all twisted up while agitating and/or spinning. This is what causes the unsightly creasing seen most times on machine washed jeans. The front loaders are generally more gentle and less prone to this.

I find agitating by hand in a tub of hot water gets most shrinkage out, without the hassle of a machine.

a bit tght after the soak. wore them a couple times this week and for a little stretch out of them. forgot how itchy the fibers can be. its beena few years since i had a pair of okinawas.

fit pics when i get a chance to take them

Edited by chantheman

• 2 weeks later...