Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

well, i ended up getting the 15th anniversary 710's in a sz 33 (i've never been larger than a 32 in anything so i feel ashamed haha). 31's were sold out and the 32's i could only do the very top button up - it was at uncomfortable ball cleavage/separation levels so i settled for the 33. looking forward to seeing how they go, as i'll now be retiring the momo's (sz 32/3yrs old) after their latest crotch blowout.

rhd?

^^ I would assume that since there is preferential treatment for the people directly involved in planting & harvesting the cotton that they have done a poll...

Also, it seems that models popular in Japan are different from the ones popular here on this forum.

Edited by Foxy2

Maybe they wanted to let the speak the denim/coton for itself? What kind of pair you would have liked to see? No offense, just curious :)

I don't know really, I just think if the cotton/denim is unique, that the cut should match it in terms of being, as I say, "special".

So I guess I would like to see something I haven't seen before. :D

But maybe a Lee repro. uses less denim/material than other cuts thereby making the whole project viable???

I agree whole heartedly with the concept of letting denim speak for itself. But so far, I don't see it in this denim. There seems to be no exceptional beauty in the natural indigo color and nothing interesting in the texture. And, as for the details, they appear ordinary (with the exception of the leather). I just cannot conceive of why these jeans are special let alone why the price is so outrageous. my rant ends  :)

Mmmmm, those are pretty ridiculous, but then again I don't like spending £200 on a pair of jeans!! I think I may be a bit of a scrouge!!! :blink: , anyhow I just thought I would post an update on these, I have had them for ages but I grew out of them and I have now gone the other way :) ...

f85d7fb2-68fa-4158-beb2-a29db494d51b_zps

...sorry about the poor quality picture, my phone is playing up at the moment!

Edited by dylanbooth78

Also, it seems that models popular in Japan are different from the ones popular here on this forum.

This, times a thousand.

In the West, the S710XX is most popular.  In Japan, (sadly) nobody wears those, it's all about the straight cuts.  Same with most of the other companies here (Flat Head and RJB are a bit of an exception, but they're a bit more progressive-minded in making slim tapered fits and stuff.) 

The Japanese market is more concerned with something that fits like a vintage pair of jeans than modern and form-fitting.  Actually, I'd go as far as to say the entire mindset is different: in Japan, jeans like these appeal because the wearer thinks, "If I wear these jeans, it makes me feel like I'm wearing well-preserved vintage clothing, or makes me feel like I'm a guy from the fifties!  These jeans make me feel more American!"  While most  of us Western denim fans think, "I enjoy wearing these jeans because the fit looks cool and the denim has an awesome texture and fading properties." 

That's not to say there's never overlap between the two, but this is a general mindset I've seen.  I am surrounded by people who work around and wear these kinds of jeans all the time, and I can safely say that none of them are as obsessed as me with the denim fading, details, etc.  Although to be fair, this might just be because I'm completely batshit crazy.

Edited by Cold Summer

^ It's funny you mention this - my (admittedly limited) experience with japanese brands is that their repro jeans generally look more modern than say LVC for example.  The SC 1947 is one exception (as I'm sure there are others), but the looser cuts that companies like FH, Samurai and SDA offer all look more modern, with a lower rise and less of an anti-fit top block.  It might have to do with differences in body types bw asian and westerners, in that these cuts may still look vintage on the Japanese.  But on me, they look more modern.

potentially keen on selling the 15th anniversary 710's as a big unexpected bill has just come up and i am broke. pm if interested - soaked once, worn for about an hour, hemmed to 34.5" (i think, will have to double check) sz 33. still has the flasher etc.

Edited by conqueror

^ It's funny you mention this - my (admittedly limited) experience with japanese brands is that their repro jeans generally look more modern than say LVC for example.  The SC 1947 is one exception (as I'm sure there are others), but the looser cuts that companies like FH, Samurai and SDA offer all look more modern, with a lower rise and less of an anti-fit top block.  It might have to do with differences in body types bw asian and westerners, in that these cuts may still look vintage on the Japanese.  But on me, they look more modern.

Totally agree with this. My FH350, Eternal 874 and SDA 101 have all looked like modern cuts on me too but that is possibly because I've sized between TTS and down 1 to avoid the saggy arse look once they stretch out. They are all relatively low rise for vintage repros though, compared to my LVC or old MIJ Edwin Waynesvilles. This is particularly true of FH and I'll have to decide whether or not to keep my 1005s That I've squirrelled away.

Today I got my S710s hemmed, I can't believe how good they look.  They've always been a great fit but having them cut a little shorter (enough to have perfect length with a 1" cuff) they look pretty much perfect.  It's amazing how shortening the inseam can make the lower leg look a lot cleaner, neater, and slimmer.  Now these look just as good with sneakers as with boots.  I'll get a photo soon.

Edited by Cold Summer

^lol I can never read tone on written text, but I did want to confirm that it's true:

http://andjapan.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-17.html

Hopefully this won't undercut local businesses too much (you know who I mean) since pricing will be on par with Japanese retail + free shipping. Only kicker is no chainstiching service but there can be workarounds for that too...