SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

how does sizing for LVC japan work??

really on getting of LVC japan 1947s.

Remember LVC Japan is discontinued now.

Some models used COne fabric (up to 2004 or 2005 at least); I've heard reports that later ones are Kaihara, altho I've never seen this on the record. Certainly the washed denim is Kiahara. I don't believe there's any consistent difference in quality, altho the patches and stitching on some LVC Japan have been better (LVC US & Europe use polycotton) and LVC Japan don't normally have the 'R' on the Red Tag.

I don't know of many people who've compared Japanese and American production side by side, apart from tony hige:

I bought a pair of '47's at the Levi's across from Bloomingdales uptown in NYC last Spring, then bought another pair of '47's from the Levi's store in Shibuya a couple months later and I swear they were exactly the same. And I'm REALLY anal about denim quality, and I have been burned in the past by LVC (several years ago, I bought a pair of LVC '33 bucklebacks in Berlin that were made from the crappiest denim). The current batch of domestic distribution 47's are good - I eBayed my Shibuya 47's and have been wearing my domestic 47's off and on until October, then every day after October, washing them a couple weeks ago for the first time, and I'm very happy with them.

how does sizing for LVC japan work??

really on getting of LVC japan 1947s.

size up 2. then soak em hot to shrink them.

for example, im a 33 in my 47s, a 30 in nudie, and 29 in apc.

i have multiple pairs of 47s, trust me.

what exactly does the spin cycle do to jeans?

If the jeans fall in one scrunched-up position you can get 'marbling', where they rub against the edge of the drum. Many people like it (I do), it's how most vintage jeans look. If you don't like it, wash/dry them inside out.

Remember, they're just jeans. Remember your forebears - miners, farmers, fitters - and wash your jeans with courage!

Remember, they're just jeans. Remember your forebears - miners, farmers, fitters - and wash your jeans with courage!

well said :-)

dude just leave it... it looks cool imo.

look at beatle's(?) jeans with paint on em,

probably not that extreme some guys like it

otherwise

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:V0rB6Eebc4QJ:www.ehow.com/how_2133582_remove-waterbased-paint-carpeting.html+how+to+remove+water+based+paint&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

might help

heres a zinger:

all my jeans have 2 or 3 slanty creases across the left thigh and only one on the right. I dont really care too much, but i was just wonderin if that means my right thigh is more muscular than my left or what?

is there any way to get my hands on a pair of flat head x take 5 callab pair? i'm a size 32. any help would be appreciated

im sorry no more out of stock alot of people are wanting this specific pair..

heres a zinger:

all my jeans have 2 or 3 slanty creases across the left thigh and only one on the right. I dont really care too much, but i was just wonderin if that means my right thigh is more muscular than my left or what?

You cross your legs by resting one ankle on the other thigh? If so, look at your thigh creases when you're doing it and you should see the answer...

If not, then I'm full of shite :)

heres a zinger:

Props to CTB, but maybe you're over-thinking wearing jeans?

What is it about denim - this masculine, hard-working fabric - that brings on such infantilism? As in, I have water-based paint on my jeans, so how do I clean it off? Is it really so hard to figure out?

I couldn't find a "celebrities wearing denim" thread. I'm going to make one if there aren't any—are there?

before you carry out your threat,there are several points you should consider before:

how many celebrities have you seen wearing sufu-approved denim?

there are not too many,Clapton,Depp etc. have been covered before,but even i am too lazy to search.

how will opening such a thread affect my freshly started career here?

is it really necessary,can i live without it?

you see,so many questions that arent easy to be answered,but what the hell!

start your thread and see what happens.

and dont listen to me,i am drunk anyway...

before you carry out your threat,there are several points you should consider before:

how many celebrities have you seen wearing sufu-approved denim?

there are not too many,Clapton,Depp etc. have been covered before,but even i am too lazy to search.

how will opening such a thread affect my freshly started career here?

is it really necessary,can i live without it?

you see,so many questions that arent easy to be answered,but what the hell!

start your thread and see what happens.

and dont listen to me,i am drunk anyway...

I approve of this one.

4j8c48.jpg

Does majority of the shrinking on a pair of unsanforized jeans happen on the first hot-soak? I've seen a few people saying that they only get half the estimated shrinking when they do a hot soak for the first time, so I just wanted to get a for sure answer.

Does majority of the shrinking on a pair of unsanforized jeans happen on the first hot-soak? I've seen a few people saying that they only get half the estimated shrinking when they do a hot soak for the first time, so I just wanted to get a for sure answer.

TOo many variables to say definitively - depends on the denim, how hot you soak etc etc, but my experience is first soak accounts for maybe 60% on most jeans. On a few, they don't really shrink any more. If you want to get the most possible shrinking out of the way, wash at 40 deg (without soap).

noob question:

preface: I've lurked here and on SF, and read the Paul T. book. I haven't read all the stickies.

I think I get that: selvege is an indicator of quality, but not conclusive. (small loom, greater cost, presumption that the manufacturer wants to make something better).

I don't get why one selvege denim can cost so much more than another. Is the difference (double) ring spun vs. blown, the cotton, the dying process, etc. or all of the above? I know there are plenty of other variables (the stitching, hardware, and general attention to detail) that add value, I'm just asking about the fabric.

Thanks.

the new guy

-knows nothing, but lusts after those Roy jeans.

----------edit

I was doing find, reading the right stickied thread, until I read this (and related posts), and know less than I did before.

Interesting this thread has surfaced again.

I find it easier to tell ring/ring from OE by looking inside the jeans. Ring ring looks more regular... somewhere I have a set of Cone samples of RR, R/OE and OE, if I find them I'll put up photos. It's not as simple as saying that RR is more slubby or has more irregularities, as that's a separate variable.

From what others have told me, like Adriano Goldschmied, RR denim gives more 'zing' when it's distressed. That's been the prime reason for its huge resurgence. But RR alone does not signify good jeans, any more than the presence of selvage .

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic