Unknown Non-Japanese Brands

Megatron1505

nope as far as I can see...

the collection has been recently launched and it's available through some retailers, including VMC in Zurich and a few others. Maybe Davito has handled already the stuff in VMC? Davito can you hear me?

Might be possible to order via email...

• 1 month later...

This kind of thing is common out here, though it's usually just an iconography thing (not many Jews living in Asia). There's a Nazi-themed cafe in town here called Bunker 1942, for example. I also remember looking at stickers of national flags in a shop once, and the official one for Germany was the Third Reich flag. 

I do feel that Nazi imagery is creeping into the Japanese scene more lately (I know Bob Dong is Chinese) among certain brands and shops. Some of it is biker imagery, but I wonder how much of it is also underlying far-right sentiments.

That's damn sad. I imagine Ignorance of what that version of the swastika stands for plays a big part. It's like when kids over here used to wear clothes with Che Guevara face and the communist symbols, without fully understanding what it stands for.

There are other Bob Dong "biker" T-Shirts that use the iron cross as logo, guess he's just taking what he thinks is the next logical step. The dude behind Bob Dong is probably fully aware of the Nazi swastika and it's part in parts of biker culture because of it's shock value. Maybe I'm naive, but I just can't imagine that someone who has internet access in 2016 isn't aware of all connotations the tilted swastika has. 

Yeah, obviously we can thank the Hell's Angels and other 1% clubs because they're the ones who adopted Nazi imagery to piss people off, and because it does have a tough look to it. 

The thing is, out here people aren't inundated with WWII and Hitler lessons in history class or documentaries on TV the way we are. If you mention Hitler or Nazis, it doesn't get the same visceral reaction from people. Some people even think Hitler is cute. It's kind of like mentioning Stalin, Mao, or Pol Pot to the average westerner. It just doesn't carry the same weight of evil to them.

Yeah, obviously we can thank the Hell's Angels and other 1% clubs because they're the ones who adopted Nazi imagery to piss people off, and because it does have a tough look to it. 

The thing is, out here people aren't inundated with WWII and Hitler lessons in history class or documentaries on TV the way we are. If you mention Hitler or Nazis, it doesn't get the same visceral reaction from people. Some people even think Hitler is cute. It's kind of like mentioning Stalin, Mao, or Pol Pot to the average westerner. It just doesn't carry the same weight of evil to them.

Yeah, I know about that. It still rubs me the wrong way every time again ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

No Nazi insignia but pretty fun nevertheless - got my first pair of Sauce Zhan...726XX-HQ, so cheap too.

bDK3rjg.jpg

F3RwIzV.jpgwIrmwOi.jpg

0f9X8Qj.jpg

Lots more photos on my blog.

Overall I'm quite impressed. Looks like the quality has gone up some since b_F last reviewed them.

This Xinjiang cotton denim is cool too. So hairy. So soft.

Great review on you the SZ from your BLOG. And thanks for sharing.  

Not sure how you are going to wear all the new jeans in your rotation...or fit them in your wardrobe. ;)

Great review on you the SZ from your BLOG. And thanks for sharing.  

Not sure how you are going to wear all the new jeans in your rotation...or fit them in your wardrobe. ;)

Thanks for reading.

I kinda collect them... 

Out of curiosity, why do you choose Sauce Zhan over Red Cloud?

Both feature very similar fabric made from Xinjiang cotton, interesting choice.

I chose both :)

Red Cloud pair hasn't arrived yet...

great review mike, thanks for taking the time. SZ makes good stuff, love my SZ chambray. pity the jeans are all too slim for me otherwise I'd be happy to give them a go. I've been eyeying their chore coat though...

Hahaha ok...Been enjoying your denim rampage/review lately on the blog.

Looking forward to the direct comparison between both of these pairs.

Will do! Hope to have the Red Cloud review up next weekend. I'll be going over my older denims in the next few months to do follow-ups...plenty to keep me occupied :)

great review mike, thanks for taking the time. SZ makes good stuff, love my SZ chambray. pity the jeans are all too slim for me otherwise I'd be happy to give them a go. I've been eyeying their chore coat though...

Do put up a pic if you do pick up the coat.

Would you consider a custom pair?

Will be interesting to see how many details can be customised.

pics of the chore coat are in this thread just scroll back a few pages and you'll see.

I could consider a custom pair maybe in the future. I've plenty denim at the moment to keep me going and I'll join the next TCB contest so I'd say I am grand for at least 2 years!

No Nazi insignia but pretty fun nevertheless - got my first pair of Sauce Zhan...726XX-HQ, so cheap too.

They look good! I bought the 726XX-S a few years back, and I really did like the fabric (huge fan of Xinjiang cotton). Sadly ended up selling them since the fit was just weird. Always like Sauce Zhan, specially for the tabs on the back pocket!

Currently thinking about buying one of their summer shirts and socks to try out. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On July 10, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Niro said:

That's damn sad. I imagine Ignorance of what that version of the swastika stands for plays a big part. It's like when kids over here used to wear clothes with Che Guevara face and the communist symbols, without fully understanding what it stands for.

Back in the Denim a Blunders thread, I posted some obscure Japanese denim brand that someone was wearing.  The denim had swastika emblem stitched into the back.  I too have been seeing Nazi themes creeping into Japanese brands.  It's disappointing and I honestly stop following the brands because of it.  Why they do this, I don't know.  

^The topic has been brought up before though I can't find it, and not sure if any Japanophiles would be able to better answer. I would say you have to look at it from a non-Eurocentric point of view; For us here in the states, of course the German swastika represents pure evil, hatred, racism, and bigotry. And to be sure, the symbol was bastardized and abused by Hitler Germany and is now recognized as a symbol of hate and evil, especially within the countries that fought Hitler Germany (and the racist groups that followed, using that same symbol). Whereas Japan, allied with Hitler Germany, has been using the manji symbol (swastika flipped the other way) within Buddhism for thousands of years, and still use it on maps, architecture etc. to represent temples. Symbols similar, but different in meaning, but certainly without the same stigma we carry in the west associating with Hitler and hate groups. So perhaps it's a bit softened and distant in that regard? That said, you definitely see "biker" crews adopting it as a symbol of rebellion, mimicking racist biker gangs of the past, but associating it with the same idolatry of rebellious dark cool. They likely don't understand the racist connotations, and I'd be curious to ask someone about it directly, next time I see it. For sure though, I would NOT wear anything with a Hitler swastika on it, and can understand your position!