Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

Yeah. Me too. It's a ways more 'over the shoulder' than the later models. Not sure how I feel about that. 

I'll be curious to see it on Broark.

Edited by CSL

I'll get some photos of the closed front jumper worn posted soon.
@tjsma I think it's a little misleading since they posted fit photos of the unwashed version (the O/W model should be available soon).
I haven't washed it yet, since honestly I won't be able to wear most of this stuff for a few months given that it's summer.
When trying it on unwashed, the shoulders and sleeves seem good and should shrink up nicely, but the body length is quite long so I'm hoping for a good bit of shrink there.
I'll also remember to take some pre and post wash measurements. Something I normally forget to do. :rolleyes:

Are Freewheeler’s denim made using vintage sewing machines too? 
I noticed the side seam on every cut has this reverse stitch at the end. That wasn’t possible with vintage machines. Nearly all other repro brands get this part right. Not that it matters, just wondering. They seems to care so much about other details such as the length of the side seam and the width and shape of belt loops. 
I know for their WWII models they stated they focus on quality more than historical accuracy. 

A621A0AE-FCED-45E2-AE5B-136CEC9DF188.jpeg

@UkeNo The fabric is very lightweight and crispy, very breathable and suitable for the summer months. It's also pretty flat, no irregularity to it.
I don't think this one will fade/age like a sateen or a denim, the weave is much tighter than both of those. I'd say it's closer to a poplin or chino.
I suspect over time the sheen will wear and subside a bit, I'll wash it soon and report back.

16 hours ago, vlad_III said:

I noticed the side seam on every cut has this reverse stitch at the end. That wasn’t possible with vintage machines. Nearly all other repro brands get this part right. 

Backstitching has been possible on sewing machines since the late 19th century 

On 7/1/2023 at 12:19 AM, Duke Mantee said:

Backstitching has been possible on sewing machines since the late 19th century 

Correct Duke. As the guy in the video explains. The full turn singer 103 made in germany in 1908 already can go backwards when the lever is pressed. The model after that, the singer 31-20  (1910) is a half turn machine. 

Half turn singers, like the one he uses to make his repros, a Singer 31k20  made in 1930 in the UK. That is a half turn machine and runs at a lot slower max speed. hence the tension can be much stronger and it can sew much thicker yarns at strong tensions. Those were used for the crotch/fly parts and the side seems running down from the waist. Those could not go backwards. 

On 6/29/2023 at 3:44 PM, vlad_III said:

A621A0AE-FCED-45E2-AE5B-136CEC9DF188.jpeg

I have no say about anything regarding Freewheelers construction, but in my experience sewing almost exclusively with old half-turn machines the photo you shared is pretty much exactly how I finish seams myself. Looking closely at the stitch path, it appears to me not to be a true reverse stitch but rather a narrow triangle. When I’d finish a seam in this way, I’d stitch slightly off my line for the final stitch, turn the garment 90 degrees, go one stitch forward, then turn again and stitch back into my original line. That is, to my unprofessional eye, at least, what this photo looks like to me. But I am open to being corrected! Just wondering if that possibility might clear up the issue.

That’s what I thought as well. Maybe the garment is turned rather than the machine reversing. that would achievement the extra strength. I was just wondering…

on back pockets Levi’s seems to have used a full turn machine so they could reverse at the pocket opening for additional strength, hence the back pockets threads are usually not as thick as the crotch or side seams. Maybe it’s a time thing. Garment turning with a half turn machine would’ve taken too much time. Who knows…

@Broark The 504xx looks great, and indeed shrank perfectly for you. Here's the age old question again since none of the retailers specify this (as with most garments unfortunately). You know if the sewing is done with 100% cotton threads?

@mstax I don't have any official confirmation on it but I believe that the threads are 100% cotton.
I actually don't know of any Vanishing West items that don't use cotton thread off the top of my head.