Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

^ yeah agreed... noting that after the 40C wash the 22 is now a touch snugger Ooms. However I've been wearing the 37 jeans (same denim) for a few days and it expands quite a bit so, with enough wear, both the 22 and 33 jackets should do that too.

The factory wash seemed to maximise shrink on the 33 - presumably the 'wash' version is actually a 'wash and industrial dry' job. 

I need some sizing advice on the 601 1947. I have a WH 1001xx heavy ounce in a size 38 which came raw and fit me perfectly now after maybe 3-4 washes. Waist measures 45 cm across which seems to be the sweet spot for me. 

I found the raw version of the 601 1947 in waist 38 online. The one wash version seems to be sold out at the moment. The raw version W38 measures 50 cm across. Can I expect it to shrink 10% to come in at 45 cm after a few washes? Does anyone own a 601 1947 in W38 or W36 and care to measure them? The measurements online for the one wash seem to vary quite a bit so I’m unsure to go for W38 or W36.

Edited by mstax

I can't speak specifically to the 1947 but in my experience warehouse's 29 is about freewheeler's 30. I have jeans with similar rises from these brands. It's enough that I'd be a little suspect about getting the same size in freewheelers that I have in warehouse, let alone down one. 

That said, yes FW raw denim shrinks a good bit. 

11 hours ago, mstax said:

I need some sizing advice on the 601 1947. I have a WH 1001xx heavy ounce in a size 38 which came raw and fit me perfectly now after maybe 3-4 washes. Waist measures 45 cm across which seems to be the sweet spot for me. 

I found the raw version of the 601 1947 in waist 38 online. The one wash version seems to be sold out at the moment. The raw version W38 measures 50 cm across. Can I expect it to shrink 10% to come in at 45 cm after a few washes? Does anyone own a 601 1947 in W38 or W36 and care to measure them? The measurements online for the one wash seem to vary quite a bit so I’m unsure to go for W38 or W36.

I’ve found that FW non-wash 601xx will always shrink to the wash size

I’ve also found the waist measurement to be as tagged

I’m not a 38 but I see no reason to think they would be any different 

Edited by Duke Mantee

13 hours ago, mstax said:

My WHs 1001 and FW 45 and 51 in size 36 are about the same. The WHs tends to shrink a bit with every repeat wash, while the FW once it's sat down after couple washes doesn't shrink anymore. I think that if the WH in size 38 fit you after a few washes, the FW 38 non wash will shrink down to about the same size. FW may be a little bigger, but not smaller than WH in the same size for sure. 

Did you contact hoosier?

Edited by Talan

On another note, I just got the 506xx 1946 jacket. My first FW garment. Pretty impressed by the details. Very nice jacket and this is the first repro I’ve handled that actually feels ‘vintage’ with all the details. 

I do have a question though, above shrinkage is discussed. This is a size 48 which come in at around 61 cm across the chest. Strange thing is when I look at the measurements from Speedway Sendai they say the size 46 is 63 cm across the chest. Ideally I need a little more than 61 cm, but if this jacket doesn’t shrink anymore it’s ok I guess. I got this one from Mirrorball and they specify 61 cm in the chest so that equals what I measure. But it is strange the measurements are so different.

lg4OyFt.jpg[/img]

8yybpJi.jpg [/img]

Edited by mstax

It’s only strange because the Japanese shops are very inconsistent with how they measure (if you look at Speedway’s size for the lined jacket it’s actually smaller than the unlined jacket) - and that’s a one wash isn’t it? It won’t shrink.

Edited by Duke Mantee

2 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

It’s only strange because the Japanese shops are very inconsistent with how they measure (if you look at Speedway’s size for the lined jacket it’s actually smaller than the unlined jacket) - and that’s a one wash isn’t it? It won’t shrink.

Wow that’s really annoying it’s so inconsistent. Guess the best thing to do is to ask the shops to measure the specific piece and send photos. Usually they are very helpful I’ve experienced.

Indeed a one wash. I’ll handwash cold from here so good to know it will not really shrink  anymore.

Was surprised by the weight of the jacket as well. Quite hefty, more so than other jackets I have and had it seems.

Edited by mstax

Another reason to get pics of actual jacket being measured if possible. That being said, pattern matters too - measurements won't reveal absolutely everything and there's always a little risk involved. With FW I've personally found that once you find your size - that's gonna be it no matter the item.

13 hours ago, mstax said:

Wow that’s really annoying it’s so inconsistent. Guess the best thing to do is to ask the shops to measure the specific piece and send photos. Usually they are very helpful I’ve experienced.

Indeed a one wash. I’ll handwash cold from here so good to know it will not really shrink  anymore.

Was surprised by the weight of the jacket as well. Quite hefty, more so than other jackets I have and had it seems.

They more or less take the same approach but I’ve found the ‘more or less’ part can impact those who might be more sensitive to getting the right measurements (I tend not to bother too much - if it’s about right, then it is right … we’re not dealing with bespoke tailoring)

I’ve had and have dozens of FW denim items - they don’t shrink unless you boil wash them (I tried)

@Duke Mantee Guess you are right about that. It also depends how much you stretch it out for example for the chest measurement, can definitely make a few cm’s difference. Anyway, thanks for reflecting on this. 

Have so say, I’m really getting into the FW stuff. Impressed by the jacket so far. Also in the market for the 601 47 jean and an m-1941 chino. I only wear denim tops and bottoms lately and I’m in desperate need of another look other than blue, lol. 

Another care package has arrived.
Utility trousers in khaki deck cloth and eggplant sateen.
k6pgn0F.jpg
8NAwu6j.jpg
oeyMoRS.jpg
smbrPpH.jpg
Multi-stripe tee and Bluff Creek.
LZnx3dY.jpg
And the pièce de résistance: Lot 560 1922 overalls, non-wash.
JelR8qY.jpg
Vlka9LC.jpg
40DdzXr.jpg
8Jnf938.jpg
mhKW8u8.jpg
nG3nEhM.jpg
lG7n4pP.jpg
Oj5MLPC.jpg
XAuPhqY.jpg

@mstax Your description is pretty close, the fabric fairly lightweight but it's densely woven. Feels like a deck jacket but toned down a bit (and obviously, not lined).
Also the one-wash job from FW left this particular fabric pretty starchy, I might give them another wash to soften them up.
The eggplant sateen feel like pajama pants by comparison, super soft and pliable.

• 2 weeks later...