Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Hawaiis from Naoki at pants shop avenue arrived today

ea6bb267.jpg

0763dd6a.jpg

I got these raw. They were tagged 32X34, and those were what they measured. I was expecting more like 33X36 for actual measurements. Oh well, I'm a 31 waist anyway, so I bet the fit turns out to be good.

Edited by jonmhenderson

• 3 weeks later...

That's all I have right now. That was a motel/beach/vacation shot. Now on to chasing my 6 and 3 year old boys around! Just ordered a pair of raw Hawaiis from Naoki at PSA. should be waiting for me when we get home. Will post pics of their evo.

Forgive this noob'ish question, but what's the advantage of buying raw Hawaii's?

I'm asking because those are probably going to be my next jean purchase and was curious, especially since I'd hot soak raws anyway.

Thanks.

Edited by 3ns�

you can control the shrinkage process, avoid possible marbling that comes from washing in a big machine, taking care of the leather patch (although there's not so much you can do with a hair on hide patch me thinks), it's fun to do it on your own, etc.

Forgive this noob'ish question, but what's the advantage of buying raw Hawaii's?

I'm asking because those are probably going to be my next jean purchase and was curious, especially since I'd hot soak raws anyway.

Thanks.

The difference is pretty marginal - but with raw jeans you can try them on first, and choose to do a cold soak first, and do things like stretch the waistband as it dries, or actually wear them as they dry - that's the whole notion of "Shrink to Fit", so they customise themselves to you.

The second main area of difference is that a hot industrial wash will remove all the starch and sizeing, making the jeans softer. But jeans with starch still in them seem to shrug off dirt better - I always find that once I've given my jeans a proper wash in the machine that they get dirtier again more quickly So if you were intending to wear your jeans for a few months without washing, it's probably better to do so with jeans that have been cold-soaked, rather than hot-washed.

But there are so many other variables in the process, it's not worth getting hung up on details. If your store has only one version of the jeans you want, go for that, you'll be fine.

What Paul said. I hand wash in tepid water only. I retain the starch and indigo much longer, and I believe this makes for more character in the long run.

^^^

Makes sense, thanks for all the answers guys.

I might end up going with raw Hawaii's as well since according to measurements on Rakuten I'm between sizes (29-30) with the one-wash version.

How much did they shrink after soaking?, and at what temp did you soak them?

And lastly what's the best method (if any) for preserving the patch during soak.

Thanks again.

When I got mine, they ran small and fit good . So I just did a lukewarm soak. They shrunk very little. The patch is only affected by really hot water.

AHHHH finally! are those the rainbow weft?

flash, jonmhenderson, wgmds - thanks guys and yes, they are the rainbow okis- indigo weft, veg dyed, rainbow warp. never had this much fun with a pair of jeans - watching them evolve was a riot

004-4.jpg?t=1341871289

008-1.jpg?t=1312318177

006-1.jpg?t=1341871183

snakeskin patch??

008-3.jpg

Love the Okinawas. Just got a pair a few months ago but unworn. The snake patch was a big part of my decision, so a little worried the patch is going to end up like that but whatever. Still love the quality of jeans and looking forward to putting them on. More pis please!

davil - yeah, you need to be careful with the snakeskin patch - the scales simply disappeared on mine but then, i wash frequently. I don't know if the snakeskin patch can be treated in some way - maybe someone else on the forum will know. enjoy them!

I haven't worn my rainbow okis as often as these and washed them far less often than Lance has. The paint on mine is almost all gone but all of the scales are in place. I've washed mine ~6 times, cold or hot water soak, dr. Bronners, line dry.

Keep this in mind: The patch is only sewn on at the corners meaning you can pull it away from the fabric. It looks like Lance has tacked his down with some extra thread.

7551487844_b904fa4537.jpg

7551489380_c272db3e43.jpg

If you were insistant on preserving the integrity of the patch, I'm sure you could find some way to wrap it in plastic wrap when you wash it.

My opinion, not that you asked, is that you should not be too fussy about it. It will age and change along with your jeans. I think Lance's patch is one of the best parts of the overall look -- especially with the additional hand sewing. I love it because the jeans look like they've been worn like normal people (I.E. People not on superfuture) wear jeans. Go to a flea market and look for some little e shrink to fit 501s and this is what you'll see a lot of -- Big overall fade and busted up patch. Beautiful.

Lance -- how is the crotch? Can you take some pictures from outside and inside?

thirdhand - you bring up a good point. Since the patch is just tacked at the corners, davil can remove it, wash the jeans, and replace the patch with no change. crotch on my jeans is fine. wear seems to be front thighs/knees where holes are starting to appear. oh, and the patch :) is there any color showing through - if so, let's see a few pics?

Edited by lance

Lance,

I've been wearing them pretty rough the last few weeks but have mostly pampered them. Lately they've been what I wear when I'm doing indigo dying in the backyard. When they start to get too much, I'm going to treat them with sugar cane soap and take lots of pics.

Drew.

I did some super hot soaks on my rainbow Okis to try to shrink em (unsuccessfully) before I sold them and destroyed the patch. +1 to the idea of removing/replacing the patch. It is just tacked in the corners and should be easy to do. If I had my rainbow Okis to do all over again I would have definitely sized down one, as they were a very loose fit, much looser than my regular Okis or the hawaiis I'm currently wearing.

You know, now that I think about it, if ya wear a belt, that patch is gonna get some wear. A belt would eventually wear the hair off the Hawaii horse patch, etc. I remember when I was a kid, threading my belt through the leather patch on my Lee Riders because I thought that was the way ya had to do it.