Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

I've never owned the 1947 Type II or 2009 model, but from the measurements its a slimmer version of the SC 1947 model. Not Too Tight mentioned LVC 1947 which is REALLY slim compared to the models mentioned earlier.

I own the LVC 1947 and the SC 1947 and the only thing that they share is a similar name.

Yeah, I meant "original" '47 as in the SC version. I wasn't aware other models aside from the '47 and the Type II were mentioned in the discussion

Does anyone who have both pairs, or have handled both, care to comment on the differences in denim/fit/construct?

Thanks~

Firstly, the jean has been marketed under both the "SC 2009" and the "1947 Type II," names used even in Japan (where I purchased mine) They are one in the same jean to those confused by the name.

As for the jeans themselves, if you were to compare the two cuts, the Type II is more of a slimmed straight cut as opposed to the '47 which is roomier (straighter) all around. The Type II is also more of a modern cut, with a bit more of a taper, lower rise and tighter seat.

The construction and detailing are essentially the same, the only difference I can see is the thinner selvedge line on the Type II. The denim on the Type II is definitely lighter and grainier-looking, which I would partially attribute to a looser weave. Though I haven't worn either pair extensively, both denims aren't too dark and would probably lend themselves best to vintage fades.

I recall that Sugarcane has done khaki colored denim dyed either with mud or green tea. Is that right and do they still make them? If they do, can anyone speak to the color or share photos? Is it more brown or green? Could they pass as non-jeans in an office? Thanks much.

Firstly, the jean has been marketed under both the "SC 2009" and the "1947 Type II," names used even in Japan (where I purchased mine) They are one in the same jean to those confused by the name.

As for the jeans themselves, if you were to compare the two cuts, the Type II is more of a slimmed straight cut as opposed to the '47 which is roomier (straighter) all around. The Type II is also more of a modern cut, with a bit more of a taper, lower rise and tighter seat.

The construction and detailing are essentially the same, the only difference I can see is the thinner selvedge line on the Type II. The denim on the Type II is definitely lighter and grainier-looking, which I would partially attribute to a looser weave. Though I haven't worn either pair extensively, both denims aren't too dark and would probably lend themselves best to vintage fades.

Thanks for that! :)

A couple of quick snaps of the sc40300 whilst I was updating my RxC contest jeans...

As you know, fabric is from Nihon Menpu.

Dyed with 100% Strobilanthes cusia indigo (they called it Ryukyu-ai, but it also grows in India, Taiwan, parts of China, etc...also called Assam indigo).

Also featuring man-thighs and a crotch-rivet:

p4050084.jpg

p4050081.jpg

p4050086n.jpg

Does anyone who have both pairs, or have handled both, care to comment on the differences in denim/fit/construct?

Thanks~

I own the 2009 /47' type II jeans.. they are definitely a slim straight cut while 47 is a repro cut..

heres the fit pics that i posted awhile ago on this thread..

sc2009.jpg

Hi! I'm considering buying either a pair of SC 1947's or a SDA 101. Which one will you recomend? I need something with fits my large thighs, I've heard both would be quite good for me. Also, price is important. I will not order from for instance Superdenim in York because their prices are quite high. There's a seller on ebay selling "one wash" 47's, the measurments are really different from what I've seen on blue in green, raktuen etc. Should I trust this seller? (dont remember the ebay name now) Finally, picking size, I normally wear a true size 34-35 (tagged can be less, minimum 32, often 33 or 34). Can give an example: APC new standard, way too tight in the beginning, became wearable after a few weeks, but a big crotch hole after 5 months. Probably too small size, and also not the right fit for me. So, what would be the best size for me on these jeans?

Hi! I'm considering buying either a pair of SC 1947's or a SDA 101. Which one will you recomend? I need something with fits my large thighs, I've heard both would be quite good for me. Also, price is important. I will not order from for instance Superdenim in York because their prices are quite high. There's a seller on ebay selling "one wash" 47's, the measurments are really different from what I've seen on blue in green, raktuen etc. Should I trust this seller? (dont remember the ebay name now) Finally, picking size, I normally wear a true size 34-35 (tagged can be less, minimum 32, often 33 or 34). Can give an example: APC new standard, way too tight in the beginning, became wearable after a few weeks, but a big crotch hole after 5 months. Probably too small size, and also not the right fit for me. So, what would be the best size for me on these jeans?

IMO Okinawa...they work well for those have thick thighs

• 2 weeks later...

My Rainbow Oki's (SC40701) arrived a week ago, thanks to Lance who pointed me to Pants Shop Avenue. No trace of the rainbowish nature of the denim yet, but I just love the texture of Okinawa denim anyway. They're lightweight and roomy (maybe a bit too), a great pair for the summer and an interesting departure from my heavyweight, slim DBxSFxSxS12. I'll try to get a camera to document the evolution.

Hey rocco - Yep, I bought the one wash version from Kiya (he ordered them for me) since the raw version was not available. hmmm, how long? I'd say within a couple of months; I saw yellow peaking through first, then various shades of blue then red. I wash my jeans frequently and crawled around doing strucutral inspections in them - so of course, color will show sooner with washing and wear but it will also start to fade too. Great to hear you received them and let's see your progress; they are a fun pair of jeans.

Just a heads up: looks like Sugar Cane products at BiG are pretty heavily discounted right now, though only for weird sizes.

Looked at BiG last night, and what's left of the Sugar Cane jeans are 50% off. Shouldn't have put them on my credit card, but couldn't pass up the last pair of size 38 1966s for $150.

Good deal. I guess BiG will be no longer carrying Sugar Cane, which is too bad.

Yeah, they no longer have a Buzz Rickson or Sugar Cane account, hence the blowing out what they have left.

Bought to sugar cane shirts from SENY the other day, was so impressed that im currently in the process of ordering more (dont worry, seny does not carry these, i stay loyal). If this order goes through, sugar cane may become the japanese brand that i own the most pieces from...

(will post pics when i get them all together)

dryer too.

Yeah, may put them in there too on highest heat. If they shrink down to the one wash measurements on Self Edge's site, I'll be good. But they seem a lot bigger than those measurements. Gordon talked me into leaving a little extra inseam on these when he hemmed them, that probably turned out to be a good idea since I'm gonna get aggressive with the heat.

Yeah, may put them in there too on highest heat. If they shrink down to the one wash measurements on Self Edge's site, I'll be good. But they seem a lot bigger than those measurements. Gordon talked me into leaving a little extra inseam on these when he hemmed them, that probably turned out to be a good idea since I'm gonna get aggressive with the heat.

better to be too long than too short

Hey rocco - Yep, I bought the one wash version from Kiya (he ordered them for me) since the raw version was not available. hmmm, how long? I'd say within a couple of months; I saw yellow peaking through first, then various shades of blue then red. I wash my jeans frequently and crawled around doing strucutral inspections in them - so of course, color will show sooner with washing and wear but it will also start to fade too. Great to hear you received them and let's see your progress; they are a fun pair of jeans.

Well, with my (not extremely active) lifestyle this will take quite a while. Good thing I already love the denim as it is! I'll be patient and wear them a lot the next months, they feel like a great pair of summer jeans.

better to be too long than too short

Ran 'em through the washer and dryer twice last on their highest settings. Amazing how much they shrank up. Still a little bigger than I'd like in the thigh, but livable I guess. Gonna have to go back to BiG after one more wash to get that extra inseam length chopped off.

setterman -- Would you mind posting some post-wash measurements?

Will double check when I get home. Pre-wash measurement at BiG are right on. IIRC, waist shrank from 40" down to 37". Front rise dropped from 14" down to around 12.75". Inseam was 34" and shrank to 31". Measurements aren't massively different from my LVC 66s, but the Canes feel a lot bigger, most noticeably in the rise and upper part of the thigh/lower part of the seat.

I'm embarrassed to announce that I'm selling a second pair of 47s. I had a size 34, lost weight, then sold them. Now I'm doing the same for these 33s. Worn less than four times out of the house, so PM me if you're interested. I'll let these go for cheap.

Just got home, and ready for a three day weekend!

Measured BiG style, waist is 38" (that's with the front of the waist pulled up inline with the back and measured straight across). Front rise is 12 3/4", back rise is 16 3/4", thigh is 13 3/4", inseam is 31" (started at 34"). I don't think they got much shrink left in 'em.

Here's some quick pix. Where the four pieces of material come together at the bottom of the yoke puckers out something fierce and pulls the back rise up my ass. Gonna have soften the denim up, and take the iron to that intersection and flatten it out.

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00713.jpg