Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Beautiful jeans, Mike! I love that natural indigo. I once thought about picking up a pair of the natural indigo Edo Ai jeans, but wasn't crazy about the design.

As far as I know, the natural indigo SC denims haven't been used on MF garments aside from the small amounts of Edo Ai on the original 7161s. But, someone could prove me wrong...

Speaking of 7161s, I should put these in here, too. Mine at one year. Today's the last day I'm wearing them...

mfsc716112mo1sm.jpg

mfsc716112mo2sm.jpg

mfsc716112mo3sm.jpg

mfsc716112mo4sm.jpg

mfsc716112mo5sm.jpg

And just for fun, here's what they looked like right out of the box

7161frontsm.jpg

^ Beautiful pair zissou :)

The original sc47161 was made with two different fabrics, one with natural indigo from Hawaii (the sc40400 denim) and another with indigo from Ryukyu islands (sc40300 denim).

This one I'm talking about:

sc47161m-421w.jpg

Your one, the No.7161, has 3 different fabrics (with the addition of the edo-ai fabric from sc40500.)

The 7161md pair that you have pictured is the second iteration- the 'modified'. As far as I knew, the two main denims on my original SC47161 are the 40301 (Okinawa) and 40401 (Hawaii), which are mixed with synthetic indigo, along small bits of the 40500 (Edo Ai) on the cinch and button fly interior.

Edit- I patched mine with some 40400 (natural indigo Hawaii), and it looks rather different than the 40401. Also, I thought the natural indigo denims all had solid green selvage. The 40500 and 40400 do, but the 40301 and 40401 have green line selvage. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

^ Yes, my bad, it' is the sc47161-m.

For real, it's the mix denim?

I've always thought it was natural indigo...they were advertised as such:

"生地はこれまでSUGARCANEでリリースされてきた、本藍染めデニムの琉球藍本藍染めデニム、ハワイ藍本藍染めデニム、江戸藍本藍染めデニムの3種類の生地を匠みにデザインに取り入れながら、古いシングルステッチのミシンを使用し縫い上げられています。"

They could be, but I was always under the impression that they weren't. The 7161md was definitely made out of the 301 and 401. It's really hard to find info on the original 7161, but I guess I could email Katherine and ask her...

^ Actually, I think you're right...although they advertise it as 本藍 (natural), both the modified and original sc47161 have selvedge IDs that look identical to the 01 series rather than the 00 series:

The modified:

sc47161m-421fp4.jpg

sc47161m-421fp2.jpg

The original:

sc47161a_421_7.jpg

sc47161a_421_6.jpg

Clever has an old, deleted page for the original sc47161, and for some reason the link still works :P

http://www.clever-id.com/WebFiles/HTM/TOY/SUG/PNT/07/sc47161a_421.html

Mmm...maybe Sugar Cane should correct the advertising to 混藍 (mix indigo) instead.

Hey everyone,

Just got myself some Okinawa's with the snake skin patch from Beatle on the supermarket! Have briefly tryed size 32 canes on before in a denim shop near me that stocks sugarcane luckily enough and they fit well so hopefully these will be good too.

Any advice on these jeans?

Thanks

Yes, will take that on board for definite! Im slightly concerned some people have mentioned sizing down 1 on oki's but when i tryed some canes on before a size 32 was a slight squeeze and felt well fitted??

Please advise?

Happy New Year everyone - update on my Oki Rainbows. Man, I love these jeans!

007-1.jpg?t=1293894208

003-1.jpg?t=1293894331

011-1.jpg?t=1293894360

Now that's multicoloured clothing I wouldn't mind wearing.

Very interesting evo!

Yes, will take that on board for definite! Im slightly concerned some people have mentioned sizing down 1 on oki's but when i tryed some canes on before a size 32 was a slight squeeze and felt well fitted??

Please advise?

If they fit well in person, then you don't really need any more advice.

It'll shrink with wash and stretch with wear - you're on the right track.

Yes i guess your right. Will get some pics up once i have taken delivery of them!

One thing i havent worked out yet is when im going to find the time to get some awesome wear into them due to being so awesomely happy with my current lot.105 orange selvage Yen jeans.

A nice problem to have none the less......!

^^ + 1.

The SC denim is amazing...the first few weeks the denim will feel very interesting, very different; there will be little bits of sugar cane millet sticking out here and there, and the subtle variation in the indigo colour will be something you find yourself staring at for extended periods of time.

The loose/slubby weave, combined with the cotton/sugar cane mix of the fabric makes for a weird and wonderful hand.

The denim is unlike any other, because half of the fabric is made of sugar cane...it's almost pseudo-denim :P

Over the next weeks and months the fabric will become more 'denim-like' and very comfortable...a well-worn cotton/sugar cane mixed denim is so comfortable, you could wear them as pyjamas.

This is not to mention all the wonderful, Japanese detailing from the patch to the pocket fabric.

The sc40301 is the pair of jeans that started my slub obsession...

They're so good my dad stole my pair!

Just received my Okinawa's from Beatle in the mail today!!

They are everything i wanted them to be, awesome! Cannot wait to get some big wear into them!

Will post pics up soon!!!

PM for more details, but I'm selling two Sugar Cane flannels on behalf of my brother. Ordered from Rakuten, size L, and unworn with tags. Neither shirt fits him. I don't have access to the shirts (they're at his house), but here's what they look like.

Both are 110 Shipped.

img56798874.jpg

sc-sl-sc25129-05.jpg