Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

Just curious, has anyone ever experimented with any kind of differential soaking/shrinking, i.e., cold soaking first to remove starch and then after drying and assessing, hot soaking a specific part (as opposed to the whole jeans) to get more shrinkage in that area while leaving other parts as is?  

many of us have. can't say it's ever really made that much difference in the long run as sooner or later your jeans are gonna get wet all over.

Just curious, has anyone ever experimented with any kind of differential soaking/shrinking, i.e., cold soaking first to remove starch and then after drying and assessing, hot soaking a specific part (as opposed to the whole jeans) to get more shrinkage in that area while leaving other parts as is?  

many of us have. can't say it's ever really made that much difference in the long run as sooner or later your jeans are gonna get wet all over.

I had thought about this a long time ago. To me, if you need to cold soak the whole jean and then say hot soak below the knee to get a taper say, it would be so minimal that it wouldn't be worth the time and effort. Also, if you need to taper (tapering is an example) the jean like that, you haven't chosen the right cut in my opinion. You may love Samurai but if they don't do the cut in the denim you like, why would you settle for something you will never be happy with. I would love a pair of Samurais but even the 710, which is one of their slimmest, would be my baggiest jean. Not to mention, if you have 10 pairs that you all soaked differently, how would you remember? I'm all about the 2-3 hot soaks before I wear, takes all the guess work out and I don't have to worry about someone putting them through the wash the 'wrong' way. That way I can put them through the ringer and not be worried about them. They're jeans, not a kid. :-)

Hello gents. I was wondering if anyone has any fade pics of the black 17oz zero denim or, if not, an idea of how it will fade? Views on the speed of fading and if the same kind if contrast can be expected on the black compared to the indigo would be of interest. You know how it is... I don't need a pair because I have a number of pairs of jeans stacked up ready to go but you can't help looking... any faded S710BK pics would be a bonus but I suspect less likely due to limited numbers... anyway, if you don't ask... thanks.

One wash S0500xx in from pirates today. Sized up 2. Really stoked on the relaxed fit. They sit right on my hips.

I've read that Yuichi machine washes but how much more would the back rise shrink. Everything else is spot on except for the stacking length

W 90cm

Th 33.5

Fr 29

Br 39

H 22

In 91

Pics later

Edited by Robert Langdon

Views on the speed of fading and if the same kind if contrast can be expected on the black compared to the indigo would be of interest.

they fade rather fast...I don't wear mine very often and am very surprised at how "worn" they look As far as contrast goes, that is going to depends on how often they get dirty and/or washed. I remember a contestant from the HWDC #1 that had the S5000BKs and he washed them pretty frequently. His pair turned out more vintage grey, which I really dug.

Edited by Al6ert

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm leaning toward the 710's at the moment but prefer a slightly comfortable or relaxed fit as opposed to a tighter fit. I'll want the waist to be 35-36" after all of the shrinking and stretching is said and done. Should I get 34 or 35" waist? Planning on ordering from 2nd on rakuten but they were unable to tell me the lot #. From what I've read lot # 10 runs small. Should I be concerned about receiving lot 10 or should the lot #'s be higher now?

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm leaning toward the 710's at the moment but prefer a slightly comfortable or relaxed fit as opposed to a tighter fit. I'll want the waist to be 35-36" after all of the shrinking and stretching is said and done. Should I get 34 or 35" waist? Planning on ordering from 2nd on rakuten but they were unable to tell me the lot #. From what I've read lot # 10 runs small. Should I be concerned about receiving lot 10 or should the lot #'s be higher now?

I have Lot 17 size 35 (36 inseam) S710XX from BiG.  My waist is in the same range as yours and the 35's are perfect.  With a 35-36" waist, I could squeeze into a 34, no doubt, but no regrets whatsoever with the 35.

Johh

Order from http://www.kaizoku-pirates.com/ instead of 2nd. They offer free shipping and a free hem if you want. The guy who runs it also speaks English so you don't need to resort to google translate while ordering. Their stock is also from the most recent lot. I have the same waist as you, get the 35 if you want a somewhat slim fit. Get the 34 if you want a more slim tapered look. 

Appreciate the direction from the Samurai cognoscenti Max P, b_F and Al6ert. The 710SBK fit looks similar, but with a bigger rise, to the SEXDB19s I've got. Liking the look of the black denim though. Pleased to hear about the rather fast fading. Helps with the challenge of getting them there given the competition for the so few wearable hours in the day! Suppose they'd look good hanging on their hook waiting though...

Lot.10 is from 7 years ago. You won't find a single shop having that in stock. So you will probably get Lot.16 or 17 as the 710 sells out rather fast.

As already suggested, buy from www.kaizoku-pirates.com and write the owner (Yuichi) an email. Free shipping from him is new to me, he usually gives you 40% discount on shipping but that might have changed since I last ordered from him.

Planning on ordering from 2nd on rakuten but they were unable to tell me the lot #. From what I've read lot # 10 runs small. Should I be concerned about receiving lot 10 or should the lot #'s be higher now?

You won't be disappointed with the 710's I'm sure - there's a lot to like. And they go well with trainers..

I think the only place you could get lot 10 from now would be a worn pair from this forum or similar, so no worries there. I got the 15th anniversary pair from 2nd and that's lot 16, it seems that most places are now onto lot 17.

I've ordered from 2nd twice now, and although not simple it is quite a fun experience. I got free postage on the second order due to a deal on rakuten, they remembered me from my first order (they queried the fact I wanted the inseam a different length this time which I thought was good), and have offered me free shipping for the future.

Pirates get a lot of love on here too, sounds like they are really good to deal with. Doesn't seem like they have your size at the mo, but word here seems to be that they will get you a pair regardless.

The main reason I've been going with 2nd is that pirates supply them 'one washed' (again this is apparently negotiable) and although I know this shouldn't matter AT ALL, I like the palaver and 'ritual' of soaking and washing my jeans myself!

Lot.10 is from 7 years ago. You won't find a single shop having that in stock. So you will probably get Lot.16 or 17 as the 710 sells out rather fast.

As already suggested, buy from www.kaizoku-pirates.com and write the owner (Yuichi) an email. Free shipping from him is new to me, he usually gives you 40% discount on shipping but that might have changed since I last ordered from him.

you'll die trying to find one. the only lot 10 or 9 i saw is in the samurai store in osaka. and even then they're on models like s3000 and in odd sizes. like 36 and so on..

Edited by louisbosco

I love the way everyone's mind works here!

Jeanius is worried about getting a lot 10 - doesn't want one, or at least needs to take into consideration the smaller cut.

The conversation quickly morphs from 'don't worry you won't/can't get one' to, 'hmmmmm but if you did, where/how would you?' :-)

Yeah, never gotten free shipping from him. Latest package was the usual 40% off.

Yeah, never gotten free shipping from him. Latest package was the usual 40% off.

That was my bad, misread something on this page  http://www.kaizoku-pirates.com/guide/#for_cus    If the total tax is more than 5,000 yen it`s free shipping. Thought it said the cost of the item at first. 

Talking about old stuff that can be found at yahoo.jp...

Samurai S0111XJ

10dc70b4534f259fd4064632961cf05c_zps54d7

e1a1fc60fbe4f46b5190184f14ba70fd_zps7e52

8b5599e63b87775a215bec44203894f9_zps136d

4ef57128bb5c0c4e72414996d36a104d_zps2135

1d946142efb0f11c7701f3a996850f72_zps3440

8d6f9c0296cc31271e73721363474d71_zpsf18d

d3c85e9338c55feb6a42ede7a2ad2a97_zpsdbce

Put it through a wash a few days ago - in a pretty good shape!

image-4.jpg

Day 1

Samurai S0500XX

Creases set, thank you skateboarding. Some lightweight train tracks forming on left knee from surf slide bail. Can't wait to wear again. So glad I sized up. I'll post again in a week...

Looking forward to see some fitpics!

Definitely interested in seeing some fit pics of the s0500! Whilst the idea of sizing up makes me panic these days, were I ever to bring my Santa Cruz Jeff Kendall (brave new world graphic) out of retirement, the comfort and freedom of movement a size up would allow would certainly be the only way forward...

Mind you, little danger of that happening. One of the last times I took that bad boy out I ended up ripping the ligaments off each side of my ankle and damaging every other bit of it. Crutches for 12 weeks and the ankle still seizes up to this day if I sit still too long. Was never able to skate to the same level after that.

Looks like you will be making things happen in no time with those.