Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

Thanks to your input Kyle, Flo, Max, and Artisandenim regarding shrinkage of the 19 oz. S710XX (size 35).

Flo -- yes, they're comfortable in their raw state, with a bit of room.  Not tight anywhere, just a little extra space in the key spots.

With some raw jeans, especially of the heavy and stiff variety, it's hard to tell how they'll fit after soaking/drying.  These are fairly thick, as you know, but not stiff, so you can get a sense of post soak fit, assuming shrinkage isn't too great.  Sounds like they'll shrink 1.0 to 1.5" in the waist but that the denim stretches back.  I was going to have Hiro send me the 36, but now I'm inclined to keep these and give it a go, based on your input.

Much appreciated, thanks.

John

P.S.  I also received raw Fullcount 1108XX in 35 and 36.  While the waist is much the same (37 or 37.25") in all three pairs (Samurais included), the 1108XX runs trimmer through the thigh.  For this reason (assuming I keep them), I'll probably stick with 36 and hope they come in everywhere.  Sorry to get off the Samurai topic -- may also post in the FC subforum.

At the risk of sounding like a total meat head (and repeating a question), do any of you guys lift? About a year ago I took up powerlifting as a hobby and I've gotten more serious about my training since. As a result, my legs and butt have gotten significantly bigger, and thus, my pants don't fit like they used to (or at all). I've looked at b_F's fit guide to get an idea about sizing but I was wondering if anyone with bigger legs has had a particularly positive experience with specific styles.

@BrownMetallic -- What you've got going on in the top block looks very interesting. 

So from that I would say the size 35 in the 710 should work. the size 35 in the Fullcounts however...thighs look ok from the pic but the crotch/hip area looks tight. As you already said, the size 36 would be better in the 1108XX

Perfect call -- the S710XX (35) and Fullcount 1108XX (36) both came out great after a 50 minute soak in hot water and line dry.  As you predicted, Fullcount's 15.5 oz. denim shrunk a bit more than Samurai's 19 oz denim.

With your and others' input, I now have my two favorite fitting pairs of denim jeans ... and both were bought sight unseen from BiG in New York.  The Samurais are my favorites but the Fullcounts are very nice too.  Thanks for all the input and advice.

Now what do I do with two pairs of Iron Hearts (634s and 633s) whose rise is a bit lower than I'd like? ;-)  If I decide to sell them (please forgive my ignorance), is it acceptable to mention them in the Iron Heart sub-forum or should I subscribe to the Supermarket Superseller (or other) forum?

John

Just got a pair of s710xx from BIG! Extremely nice staff in the store! I have just hotsoaked them for 1hr and now waiting for them to dry. Shall I wait for them to be completely dry or can I wear them a little damp?

You can wear them a little damp, just remember that few things are more miserable than pulling on a still wet pair of heavyweight denim. Plus side is it will set better creases ad expedite any waist stretching. Downside is you will get insane knee bags if you bend your knees and your legs will probably get starchy and gross. Totally your call.

You can wear them a little damp, just remember that few things are more miserable than pulling on a still wet pair of heavyweight denim. Plus side is it will set better creases ad expedite any waist stretching. Downside is you will get insane knee bags if you bend your knees and your legs will probably get starchy and gross. Totally your call.

Thanks for the quick answer! I think I wait for them to completely dry then :) 

Looking to get a pair of 512XXBC (bootcut).  My measured waist size is 34 but I comfortably wear a 33 (I used BiG's measuring guide) and actually prefer the 33 (muffin top is malleable:); hips and butt very slim, like a marathon runner.  The tag size 34 would maybe be safer but I'm wondering if the 33 might give me a better slim fit if I can limit the shrinkage of the waist to 1".

I plan to do initial soaking and hang dry, same with subsequent washing.  Also not sure how to factor in possible stretching after soaking.  

What's the consensus, tag size 34 or 33?

Many thanks!

Oh, that's only happened with... pretty much every pair of raw jeans I've ever worn. :unsure:

Even my sanforized selvedge Nudies had this problem.

I gave my S710s a hot spin in the washing machine when I got them, and when I washed four months later, they shrunk and the combs don't completely line up anymore.  Same thing happened on my 1001s, 3009s, and so on.

This is why I tell people to get your jeans completely, absolutely shrunk before you start wearing them.  Throw them in the dryer, hot wash them six times, do whatever it takes. 

What's really baffling to me though is how this somehow doesn't affect other people.  One guy can start wearing his Flat Heads after one 45-minute cold soak that hasn't nearly gotten all the shrinkage out, and wash for the first time at five or six months, have the jeans shrink a lot, and yet somehow the combs still line up perfectly.  It makes no sense to me, particularly since my body weight doesn't fluctuate at all or anything like that.

Mini-rant over.

Now I have soaked my 710s two times and a mashinewash on handwashsetting. I think I got most of the shrinking out, but how will 2 soaks + a maschinewash affect future fading? Will they be harde to fade?

What model is it that you wear in 33?

A pair of Levis 501STF; bought a size 34 and washed and dried the crap out of it until it finally shrunk to a 33.  

FWIW, my best fitting pair of jeans is a pair of Levis 527s (I know, noob here)  with the following measurements (per BiG's guidelines):  waist 34, upper thigh 11.5, knee 8.5, front rise 10.5, back rise 13.5.  

So it looks to me like the Sams in 33 would match these dimensions better than the 34's, no?  I'm just concerned that the waist might wind up smaller than 33, which would be too small, unless they stretch a lot with wear.  

I wore rigid Levis 517s for years when they were truly slim fit, before Levis ruined them about 12 years ago by making them "roomier."  I've been in search of the perfect pair of slim fit bootcut ever since.

Thanks again for your help.

a size 33 in Samurai can usually always be stretched beyond 33" in the waist. From that point you should be good.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with the bootcut models but from what I heard they have a rather tight top block (thigh, hip, crotch area). IMO, the only real problems you could encounter are in that area, not the waist itself