Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

I have a question for those who know a little about samurai fits..

I'm thinking of buying a pair of 710's as a nice fast fade jean that I can put some wear into nice and quickly. I usually take a size 32.. in virtually everything.

My latest pair was a fullcount 1108 in a size 32 and they fit well but remain a little tight in the waist. My actual waist is around 33". Eventually I'd like to be able to wash fairly frequently and not worry too much about over shrinkage whilst still retaining a fairly tidy slim fit.

Should I get the 32" or the 33"? I'm leaning towards the tts 33"...

Mpukas - mate, those are proper Brando, they look great! think I'm too skinny to pull off a more comfortable fitting jean, which is a shame because I really like the look of that heavy denim.

12a7 - don't know if you've done it already but I machine washed mine yesterday - 40 degree hand wash setting, no spin after, tiny bit of apc x aesop fine fabric care liquid. After drying you can see the vertical white threads clearer but you would only notice the difference in the indigo if you knew to look for it.. Size wise, it made pretty much bugger all difference. I won't say I wish I hadn't bothered but I will say I didn't need to bother.

Edit: meant to say already done 2 hot soaks before machine wash prior.

Edited by Artisandenim

S510XX25oz GA 15th size 34

1 soak, hot water, 1+ hours (unless water was room temp) 

Raw / post-soak measurements

Waist: 17.5/35 - 44.45/88.90 / 16.5/33 - 41.91/83.82

front rise: 12 - 30.48 / 11 - 27.94

back rise: 15 - 38.10 / 14 - 35.56

Thigh: 13 - 33.02 / 12.25 - 31.12

Knee: 10 - 25.40 / 9.5 - 24.13

Hem: 9.5 - 24.13 / 9 - 22.86

Inseam: 38.5 - 97.79 / 36.75 - 93.35 

They shrunk quite a bit - 2" in the waist. Literally stiff as cardboard now, but that's to be expected lol. 

Still a tiny bit damp, but will try them on and get fit pics later today. 

Thanks for the measurements. Where do you measure the thigh? At the crotch with all the fabric? 13" raw and 12,25" post soak for the 510 sounds rather small.

I measured the thigh at the crotch seam, 90° to the leg, to the outside edge of fabric. Not the inside of entire fabric. Should I have measured the entire fabric (probably)? 

I've been wearing them for about 2+ hrs now and they are loosening up as we speak. I measured the thigh again including entire fabric and it's 13.75". 

I'll wear them for a day or two and then give them a hot wash to get all the shrink out, before sending them out for hemming. 

S510XX25oz GA 15th size 34

1 soak, hot water, 1+ hours (unless water was room temp) 

Raw / post-soak measurements

Waist: 17.5/35 - 44.45/88.90 / 16.5/33 - 41.91/83.82

front rise: 12 - 30.48 / 11 - 27.94

back rise: 15 - 38.10 / 14 - 35.56

Thigh: 13 - 33.02 / 12.25 - 31.12

Knee: 10 - 25.40 / 9.5 - 24.13

Hem: 9.5 - 24.13 / 9 - 22.86

Inseam: 38.5 - 97.79 / 36.75 - 93.35 

They shrunk quite a bit - 2" in the waist. Literally stiff as cardboard now, but that's to be expected lol. 

Still a tiny bit damp, but will try them on and get fit pics later today. 

Ugh... those measurements are so bloody tempting. Keep us updated after hem.

Damn that back rise kind of sucks though..

Edited by bradl

Damn that back rise kind of sucks though..

Why - too high? I measure the back rise from top of waist band down to where the crotch seams folds - not to where it intersects the inseam, as on the front rise measurement. 

They feel like mid-rise jeans, not high rise like my I+W's. Very comfy and not too loose so far. I could have certainly size down one and would have had a sungger fit. 

no bother mate ,

dont give up on the Fullcounts , would love to see an update on them if you have one :)

thanks for the comments guy's

Definitely not given up on 1108's, just fancy a change for a bit after a run of very stubborn denim.

The FC's haven't had tonnes of consistant wear yet and no washes so far but I'll put up some pics when they are ready for a wash. I'v been wearing the Devis and Roy's mostly, all three have been reluctant faders!

Why - too high? I measure the back rise from top of waist band down to where the crotch seams folds - not to where it intersects the inseam, as on the front rise measurement. 

They feel like mid-rise jeans, not high rise like my I+W's. Very comfy and not too loose so far. I could have certainly size down one and would have had a sungger fit. 

Ahhh okay, well what's the measurement from the crotch seam to the top of waist band??

Ahhh okay, well what's the measurement from the crotch seam to the top of waist band??

Top of waist band to crotch seam (now) measure 15 1/2" They've given a bit in the last day of wear since being soaked. 

Apologies if I'm not measuring properly/consistent w/ what is normal. I'm not trying to post misleading info. 

I've had to postpone my next London trip by a couple of weeks so am going to console myself with something new. Fancy a different type of denim so am thinking of sj003p or s500vx (haven't decided which weight yet - plan to get one lighter and one heavier than my 710's in the near future).

I am aware that the 3p are slimmer and lower rise than most and I don't have a problem with that. I am more worried that the vx will be too loose/high if I'm honest...

Anyone with any experience with these like to express an opinion? Or suggest an interesting alternative?

Edited by Artisandenim

Top of waist band to crotch seam (now) measure 15 1/2" They've given a bit in the last day of wear since being soaked. 

Apologies if I'm not measuring properly/consistent w/ what is normal. I'm not trying to post misleading info. 

Yeah, that sounds more like it, thanks!

I've had to postpone my next London trip by a couple of weeks so am going to console myself with something new. Fancy a different type of denim so am thinking of sj003p or s500vx (haven't decided which weight yet - plan to get one lighter and one heavier than my 720's in the near future).

I am aware that the 3p are slimmer and lower rise than most and I don't have a problem with that. I am more worried that the vx will be too loose/high if I'm honest...

Anyone with any experience with these like to express an opinion? Or suggest an interesting alternative?

I have a pair of the sj003p. Went TTS and they fit great. Slightly slimmer and a lower rise than a SD1 710. As long as your thighs aren't too big you should be fine. Really nice material, I'm not crazy on the arcs or the exposed selvage on the coin pocket though but a good pair none the less.  Don't have any experience with the s500vx.

B-sandy, I'm actually ok with that detailing, it is more the fit and fabric I'm concerned with - thanks for the tips with those!

B_f - ah, the straighter cut was worrying me but I was thinking that if I got it in one of the heavier weights I could have them as a cold weather/rough & ready pair and wear them with boots.... Is the vx denim noticeably different from the xx? I'm a bit clueless on that score!