SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

i would appreciate anyone's opinion regarding whether waiting more than a year for the first wash/soak could potentially result in hastening the onset of the raw denim tearing or breaking down due to fact that the fibers are holding excess dust, sweat and oil, etc...

i've been doing a fair amount of research on this topic and have read that it is not recommend to wait more than a year for the first wash/soak. My denim is fast approach the one year mark and while it has been worn a great deal over the last ten months, it does not seem to have an offensive odor or appear dirty. i suspect at most it has accumulate particles of dust and small amounts of my body oils to date.

Need you guys help for my next pair of jeans. Had some Evisu 2000 no1 sz 34, liked the fit only the thigh made me look like I have some thunder thighs, waist was maybe .5-1'' too big but that wasn't really the problem, looks like the cut ''balloons'' up right after the waistband, anyone had this problem with the 2000 cut? Would buy a sz 33 if I know for sure that they'll settles down after awhile but don't wanna spend $250-300 for them to fit like this again.

Anyone have some suggestions on a slim or straight fit jeans, not too heavy for summer?

my brother, who is currently in the other side of california from where im at, got his his denim drenched by a swimming pool. he says that after they dried up, they became extremelystiff, and the bottom of the denim is similar to what paper is like dried up after contact with water. any suggestions? obviously, cleaning em would be the best idea, but which way? id say hes only worn them for a total of 90 days, so the fades are very minimal. thank you. theyre apc New standards.

my brother, who is currently in the other side of california from where im at, got his his denim drenched by a swimming pool. he says that after they dried up, they became extremelystiff, and the bottom of the denim is similar to what paper is like dried up after contact with water. any suggestions? obviously, cleaning em would be the best idea, but which way? id say hes only worn them for a total of 90 days, so the fades are very minimal. thank you. theyre apc New standards.

Hmmmm...was the pool a salt water pool or chlorine pool? B/c if it was chlorine it might fade up the jean where it got drenched.

For unsanforized denim, which one the best for shrink-to-fit?

1) Hot soak

2) Cold/Slightly Warm soak while wearing it

Neither's better, they are just different! There are a few different ways of soaking, and they all end up much the same. Common sense tells us that (1) will give more shrinkage, (2) will give less! Wearing them in the bath ensures they will fit you nicely - but you can also soak or wash hot, then stretch the waistband to fit using a piece of wood as it dries. Then you will get varying degrees of shrinking from (1) and (2) later on when you give them their first wash.

You get more shrinking, the hotter the water and the greater the agitation. For maximum shrinkage, wash them at 40-90 degrees, inside out, no soap.

It's a personal thing, I guess, I run a warm bath, sit in it with the jeans on for 20 minutes something and then let dry on me, after that I'll just machine wash. That way you'll see more shrink the two or three first washes but you do get a better fit.

Okay, I have a very embarrassing question to ask. That I'm preemptively acknowledging its lameness should exempt me from your scorn:

How should one get a pair of jeans to stack "right?" I recently bought a pair of WH 1003xx, and the inseam is short enough on me that they don't really require a cuff (and I'd like to avoid it for variety's sake), but one of the legs looks odd. For whatever reason, the right leg flares out to the side at my ankle. What's the trick to containing it? Am I making any sense?

well stacked stacks happen on their own

but you can adjust them and play around with them

if you can adjust them to your liking wet your hands and your stacks and squish them and crease them and they can stay that way due to the starch in your jawnz

then eventually they will settle to have a more natural look

there is no 'right' look, it's just a perception of when stacks look symmetric and neat that people like them

just wear your jeans hard and things will sort themselves out

I mean, I know it isn't a big deal, but it's the difference between the jeans looking normal and looking too long. It's not even that I want a "stack," I just want them to settle better. They'd be perfect if they were an inch shorter, but I'd rather not risk hemming them at this point. I'll figure it out.

Because I'm not positive all the shrinkage is out.

EDIT: We'll see. The stack is just one fold, which just leaves two symmetrical flaps flaring out on the sides. It's not a big deal--I'll probably just end up cuffing them.

use this quote from the all knowing Paul T for just that issue

and soaking twice is something you may need to do

i had to do it with my pbj

just make sure to have your jeans inside out, very hot water, no detergent, some agitation

Neither's better, they are just different! There are a few different ways of soaking, and they all end up much the same. Common sense tells us that (1) will give more shrinkage, (2) will give less! Wearing them in the bath ensures they will fit you nicely - but you can also soak or wash hot, then stretch the waistband to fit using a piece of wood as it dries. Then you will get varying degrees of shrinking from (1) and (2) later on when you give them their first wash.

You get more shrinking, the hotter the water and the greater the agitation. For maximum shrinkage, wash them at 40-90 degrees, inside out, no soap.

use this quote from the all knowing Paul T for just that issue

and soaking twice is something you may need to do

i had to do it with my pbj

just make sure to have your jeans inside out, very hot water, no detergent, some agitation

I washed them hot in the machine, then did a brief hot soak and air dry. I may post pics if it doesn't sort itself out. The advice is appreciated.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic