SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Guest 3sixteen

Here's how it works: If you have 50 posts then your rep power will have a number next to it other than a 0. Also after you have 50 posts when you rep someone it will have a green square next to it instead of a grey one. If you have enough rep power you can level someones rep power. So for example if you had 100 rep power and I had 10 rep power then if you repped me I would have 11 rep power instead of 10.

Hope this helps!

so im now considering getting those one wash 0500's from Pirates, my waist is around 34.25 inches or so with 25inch thighs, and im considering getting their size 33. according to his measurments, it has a 80 cm waist

and 63cm upper thigh. I know it seems crazy, since that makes the waist 31in (the thigh seems fine to me though), but anyone think i'll be able to stretch them accordingly? all their other measurments are excellent, and given that these stretch a lot im hopeful they are ideal? any insight would be appreciated

i have a big question to anyone who can answer

i own a fob factory f098xx they are unsanforized .

after like 2 boiling soaks the legs didnt twist at all it stayed in its place just like a sanforized denim is what could lead to this? can anyone explain?

^ Leg twist is achieved almost entirely by chance. Leg twist occurs when the leg of an unsanforized (or sanforized is some cases) denim is stitched up such that the twill on the back is "out of alignment" with the twill on the front. When shrinkage occurs the fabric reduces such that the seam moves around the leg and voila twists. This was historically viewed as an undesirable feature, so manufactures took measures to ensure that twills were properly aligned. SO, not sure about your jeans, but I would assume that by design or luck of the draw your jeans are properly (or improperly as the case may be) aligned to prevent twisting. I think Mizanation's thread about the gentleman in Okinawa making jeans delves into this further. I'd be interested if any manufactures are engineering specifically for leg twist.

^I'd be interested if any manufactures are engineering specifically for leg twist.

Yes they are. Kaihara has made denim that is Sanforized - ie won't shrink - but which has leg twist programmed in. It was used on LVC Japan a year or two ago. The idea was to have no shrinkage, so they could launder and distress the jeans without the wear moving, and to keep an authentic leg twist.

And thanks for that good explanation, I shall have to look out Miza's thread.

Stupid noob question. Be forewarned.

So I recently picked up the UO "Tapered" model and like them quite a bit.

My only complaint is that from the leg opening up until about halfway up the calf is a little wider than I'd like. The stacking is basically a little wide IMO.

The leg opening is fine. Not too small or big and the length is fine.

I'm planning on bringing them to a tailor but is there a way they can just taper that specific area without shrinking the leg opening?

I don't know if y'all understand what I'm trying to get at but I basically need to know how to get them tapered without messing up the selvedge line or anything else on them. I've only worn them a few times and would like to get this done before stacks and anything else become permanent.

Any/all help is appreciated, thanks!

i've been wearing my nudie jeans for 3 months almost everyday, no soaks and no washes so far. If i want to clean my jeans, should i do a soak or dry clean?

Thanks

Always had good luck with a little woolite in a bathtub soak. Soak for 30 min to an hour and then change the water once or twice for a rinse.

How much do 660s stretch? I bought a almost new pair and they are very very tight in the thigh, ass, and hips.

should get a couple inches in the waist if you wanted to. they have some give after some wear

Anyone order from superdenim.co.uk that lives in the States? I got my tracking number from them on Saturday and when I track it through Royal mail (Airmail) it just says that it was received and is being processed for delivery abroad. Is this normal? And how long does it typically take from UK to the states for Airmail?

Damn I feel like a complainer. Dejan at cultizm sets the bar too high. I feel like after I order the goods they should be in my hands in 3 days.

^ Leg twist is achieved almost entirely by chance. Leg twist occurs when the leg of an unsanforized (or sanforized is some cases) denim is stitched up such that the twill on the back is "out of alignment" with the twill on the front. When shrinkage occurs the fabric reduces such that the seam moves around the leg and voila twists. This was historically viewed as an undesirable feature, so manufactures took measures to ensure that twills were properly aligned. SO, not sure about your jeans, but I would assume that by design or luck of the draw your jeans are properly (or improperly as the case may be) aligned to prevent twisting. I think Mizanation's thread about the gentleman in Okinawa making jeans delves into this further. I'd be interested if any manufactures are engineering specifically for leg twist.

This sounds like a good explanation, but I was under the impression that this has nothing to do with twills on front and back being "aligned" or "mis-aligned" and more with the shrinkage and shape of the twill (IE RHT or LHT.) Fabrics (cotton mostly) tend to shrink (and inversely stretch) on the bias (ie not vertical or horizontal, but diagonal) this leads to RHT yielding a certain twist and LHT yielding the opposite effect. As fabric shrinks it moves in the path of least resistance, mainly along the bias. For twills, 2x1, 3x1, etc. a 3x1 will have more "twist" or distortion, because it has more tension in the vertical (warp) yarns than in the horizontal (weft) yarns causing it to constrict diagonally. For 1x1 weaves such as chambray, one doesn't need to worry about this because the tension is equal in both directions.

One possible explanation for demonito's jeans that don't have twist would be that the weave is really dense and the warp yarns tension was proportionally equal to the weft yarn's tension, upon other possible factors.

Not completely sure of this but it seems correct in my head.

BTW I sound like a fucking geek! I am probably just talking out my ass.

so im now considering getting those one wash 0500's from Pirates, my waist is around 34.25 inches or so with 25inch thighs, and im considering getting their size 33. according to his measurments, it has a 80 cm waist

and 63cm upper thigh. I know it seems crazy, since that makes the waist 31in (the thigh seems fine to me though), but anyone think i'll be able to stretch them accordingly? all their other measurments are excellent, and given that these stretch a lot im hopeful they are ideal? any insight would be appreciated

Anyone order from superdenim.co.uk that lives in the States? I got my tracking number from them on Saturday and when I track it through Royal mail (Airmail) it just says that it was received and is being processed for delivery abroad. Is this normal? And how long does it typically take from UK to the states for Airmail?

Damn I feel like a complainer. Dejan at cultizm sets the bar too high. I feel like after I order the goods they should be in my hands in 3 days.

The Royal Mail site can be slow to update. If it's Airsure, they normally get it on a plane within 24 hours, INternational Signed for can take an extra day. It's probably on a jumbo jet now and will come up as in the US by tomorrow. THen you're reliant on USPS....

I just got airmail from flathead.co.uk to las vegas. Took 7 days from the time I got my shipping conformation. It was a long 7 days!

One possible explanation for demonito's jeans that don't have twist would be that the weave is really dense and the warp yarns tension was proportionally equal to the weft yarn's tension, upon other possible factors.

Not completely sure of this but it seems correct in my head.

Thanks, I think your explanation is the correct one. I had bad intel. Now, however, I have about 30 questions regarding weaving.

^ sorry if this has been asked before, but why do you get the one wash version? the pirates will just throw the raw version in the washer, so you could as well get the raw one and do that yourself.

i dont have a washer readily available, and soaks dont cut it, so id need to go to the local laundromat and wait for management to leave before i decide to "dye" their machine indigo :o

and plus, they seem to get all the shrinkage out of the way, and i can just get them hemmed from the get go and now have to do any guess work with how much i should take off before it shrinks. They do use detergent though so i dont know if that will affect anything, but doesnt seem like a bad choice if you ask me....

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic