Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

bummer.  thanks tho

I don't know what size you need in the Flat Head wabash, but I have a practically unworn size 40, an older version from around 2010. I've been meaning to sell it since I have the 42, but never got around to do it. Runs a bit small though. Let me know if you are interested.

My SE05BSP have just hit 7 months. Trying to wear these as much as possible until December 24th which will make it close to a year all up. December 25th I start work on my brand new 301S that are hanging in my closet...

14716189087_8af89fcc79_o.jpg

14879735196_45129a3e36_o.jpg

14899674991_388fe16075_o.jpg

14716187637_1de2e94307_o.jpg

14902384442_40b616c802_o.jpg

14902722845_2c1a6faaec_o.jpg

14716186227_c0de25a4d6_o.jpg

14902383522_3dc0f2a57a_o.jpg

14716092709_2874ab0106_o.jpg

Kiya, maybe you can help me but the picture of the combs, what makes it pill (not sure of the technical term) like that? Sweat and not enough washing? I have soaked these 3 times and washed them 5.

My SE05BSP have just hit 7 months. Trying to wear these as much as possible until December 24th which will make it close to a year all up. December 25th I start work on my brand new 301S that are hanging in my closet...

Kiya, maybe you can help me but the picture of the combs, what makes it pill (not sure of the technical term) like that? Sweat and not enough washing? I have soaked these 3 times and washed them 5.

To avoid what you're seeing in that last photograph we suggest washing your jeans more often.  

A very rigid and dry feeling denim (such as Flat Head's, Samurai's, Strike Gold's 2xxx & 3xxx, etc..) will end up breaking in areas which have a high flex rate.  

We see this a lot at Self Edge when people drop off their jeans for repair.  A customer will bring in a pair of jeans with a minor crotch blow-out and it'll look like someone attacked his jeans behind the knees with an ice pick.  This is due to a dry denim becoming weak over time due to not being washed.  

It's the same idea as bending a piece of sterling silver back and forth over and over again, eventually it will break, unless it's heated the entire time.

Edited by kiya

Dropped into SEPDX over the weekend, and had a great time. Nice to chat with Tyler, and finally see the store. Had to resist on the 633s, but can see my self in those in the future.

But regarding your comment Kiya, have a pair of FC that I have washed three times in it's first month (of me having it) and still getting the cracking in the combs. I consider that quite frequently.

I've washed my FH 1001s for every other month of real wear time and they're just now showing the tiniest bit of that kind of tearing around the honeycombs.  I think it looks good when there's just a little bit.

Also, my best friend randomly stumbled across Self Edge Portland when he was wandering through the city on his northwest vacation, and hung out with Tyler.  So jealous.

Would SE also ship via FedEx? I'd even pay for eventual extra costs, but would like to avoid customs. And all my former orders at SE got him by them.

We don't ship internationally via FedEx, only USPS Priority Mail, which we've found to be the fastest and most reliable method, with people getting hit with the lowest amount of taxes.  Email me and we'll work something out for your next order.

What and when is next for Roy?

September 6th, the Kinda Special KS1002 fit but in unsanforized duck with duck pocket bags and linings.

Anything on the self edge x globe specs cozume?l

Those are going up by Monday at the latest, maybe even by friday.

Oh my.. Roy 's duck..

KS 1002 cut is the same as KS 1001 cut isn't it, Kiya?

Rise on the KS1002 is a hair lower than than the KS1001.

interesting question. american brands with strong american(a) identity like rising sun and mf are definitely on their radar. perhaps kiya can divulge how many of peeps snapping up roy's each release are from japan?

interesting question. american brands with strong american(a) identity like rising sun and mf are definitely on their radar. perhaps kiya can divulge how many of peeps snapping up roy's each release are from japan?

Very few pairs go to Japan, but i can understand why.  The Japanese pick and choose what they think is "cool" and if it's not thought of across the country as a "cool" thing then it's not something most people care about.  A good example is how they're obsessed with James Dean but many have never even heard of Marlon Brando, you would think one would equate the other or that at least there'd be an awareness, but there is not.  This same mentality seeps into everything from fashion to food culture.  It's a very brand driven society, and everything has a ranking, so if you're not within that ranking it's almost like you don't exist.  

Take a quick look at Clutch, Lightning, etc.. if they talk about anything from North America it's the same brands over and over again, every issue, consistently overlooking the other 95% of the brands doing a very similar thing.  There doesn't seem to be a problem with the media constantly poring over the same labels in Japan, where as in the states readers would be up in arms if the same small group of designers were the only ones that made it within the pages of a certain magazine.

Edited by kiya

I'd never quite thought of it before in those terms, but Kiya is dead-on.  Another example:  Tons of people in Japan love Bon Jovi, but nobody knows Van Halen.  Rush, despite being very successful around the world and a seeming shoe-in for a Big In Japan band, is virtually unknown in Japan for some weird reason.  Japan is very strange about the stuff it latches on to. 

thanks for the answer kiya. i suppose this kind of selective mimicry is not uncommon among postcolonial countries, the colonizer here being americana and american pop culture in general. here in indonesia (which was ruled by the japanese briefly during the second world war incidentally) many cool kids have the obligatory pomp without knowing anything about rockabilly. it leads to piecemeal understanding of history and a false sense of equality with the parent-culture they're trying to emulate.

I'd never quite thought of it before in those terms, but Kiya is dead-on.  Another example:  Tons of people in Japan love Bon Jovi, but nobody knows Van Halen.  Rush, despite being very successful around the world and a seeming shoe-in for a Big In Japan band, is virtually unknown in Japan for some weird reason.  Japan is very strange about the stuff it latches on to. 

thanks for the answer kiya. i suppose this kind of selective mimicry is not uncommon among postcolonial countries, the colonizer here being americana and american pop culture in general. here in indonesia (which was ruled by the japanese briefly during the second world war incidentally) many cool kids have the obligatory pomp without knowing anything about rockabilly. it leads to piecemeal understanding of history and a false sense of equality with the parent-culture they're trying to emulate.

These are both spot-on posts.  Not many have this type of understanding of what the underlying reason for "cool" is in Japan (or the East).   

I've become friends with a writer which is living in Japan.  He's writing a book about these exact subjects and it should be out in December or so.  The last chapter should create a bit of a stir when it comes to the brands which we all love so much.  He has an understanding of the Japanese affection towards Americana that i've never seen before and i'm excited for his work to be published.  I could never write like he can, it feels like i've been waiting for years for someone to write this book.  

Edited by kiya