Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

Also, I LOVE the turquoise 3Sixteen flannel.  Fantastic color and really impressive depth and complexity in the pattern, it reminds me of the very best of the FH Glory Park flannels, in a great color.

That's some high praise there, I love the Glory Park flannels.

Kiya, any word/details you can share when or if Flat Head is dropping a wabash this fall?  

I was wrong.. i DID order this for the stores, it should be in all our shops by October.

Roy "All-Duck" Duck Jeans

Never a dull moment with Roy Slaper.  The man lives for finding excitement in the most minute details of a garment.  With this new release he set out to made a 5-pocket jean out of an unsanforized duck canvas fabric.  This is a similar material to what he's used in the past, this time the fabric is unsanforized and therefore will shrink like an unsanforized denim jean.   You may wonder as to why would you want your duck canvas pant to be unsanforized?  Because it will not only fit better but it will  also age better over time because the fabric hasn't gone through the sanforization process which flattens and (in our opinion) destroys a lot of the character contained within the fabric. 

This new version of his duck pant is made entirely of unsanforized cotton duck fabric, even the pocket bags and back pocket linings are made of duck.  These are cut in the Kinda Special fit which we think are his best fitting jean yet.  It's between a slim and straight cut with some taper to the leg using a unsanforized cotton duck fabric woven by Cone's White Oak mill. The fabric has a good weight to it and feels a bit heavier than the measured weight.

These will be available for sale at all Self Edge stores on Saturday September 6th at noon (local time) and at 9:30am (PDT) the same day via the online store.

ROY_DUCK_01-682x1025.jpg

ROY_DUCK_09-1025x682.jpg

ROY_DUCK_08-1025x682.jpg

ROY_DUCK_07-1025x682.jpg

ROY_DUCK_06-1025x682.jpg

ROY_DUCK_05-1025x682.jpg

ROY_DUCK_04-1025x682.jpg

ROY_DUCK_03-1385x923.jpg

Any plans to restock the Flathead 4001bk?

Nope, no plans as of now to restock that jean.

Looks dope, but they are borderline...they look kinda similar to 1947's (in a size 31).  Would you say that's accurate after full stretch/shrink etc? As always, mainly concerned about thigh

I might have to drive up to la just for these...

Edited by itsbenhere

how limited are the Duck jeans? How many size 30's will be available for purchase at SELA?

Total of 80 pairs were made.  One size 30 per store.

based on the IG pic, I thought the ducks were blue!

Sorry, white balance was real weird when i took that photo!

Left Field craftsmanship is garbage compared to Roy. 

Beyond that, it's very hard to compare a jean made in a factory to a jean made in a custom built factory which is run by a single person.  With each jean (or shirt) that Roy does he swaps, tunes, and moves around his entire set-up so that it's to his liking for the production run he's about to tackle.  

Even if you were to take the Single Man Made element out of the comparison, the construction detail and ingenuity within his products is far better than any factory in the world (that i've ever seen).

Beyond that, it's very hard to compare a jean made in a factory to a jean made in a custom built factory which is run by a single person. With each jean (or shirt) that Roy does he swaps, tunes, and moves around his entire set-up so that it's to his liking for the production run he's about to tackle.

Even if you were to take the Single Man Made element out of the comparison, the construction detail and ingenuity within his products is far better than any factory in the world (that i've ever seen).

I have a pair of LF ducks, and there are a few flaws that ruin things for me. I personally don't think Roy's attention to detail can be matched.

I also don't think most people know how hard it is to change up your machines and make adjustment on your own. It could take hours to properly adjust a tacker for one specific operation. Most factories have a ton of techs who do that. Doing it all on your own takes a lot if skill and time.

Edited by Billthebutchr

I also don't think most people know how hard it is to change up your machines and make adjustment on your own. It could take hours to properly adjust a tacker for one specific operation. Most factories have a ton of techs who do that. Doing it all on your own takes a lot if skill and time.

Yeah, this can't be overstated.  When you're working with 50+ year old machines where any part that needs to be replaced involves a scavenger hunt that can involve weeks of time and tons of $$$, something as simple as changing SPI can be a nerve-wracking and incredibly time consuming operation.

Hey Kiya,

For future reference, if I'm a 44 in the TFH Type II, what would I be in the Diamond & Dot?

I would go for a 44 in that shirt as well, it'll definitely be on the slim side, but most FH shirts are slim.

We'll have a restock of those in October.