Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

4 hours ago, Spiraltoy said:

I still see a lot of posts like: I don’t don’t know what it says, I don’t read Japanese. For all of you I have a handy tip.

Download the google translate so to your phone. It’ll use the camera and translate what ever is in frame in real-time. Super handy “because I don’t read Japanese”.

Much cheaper alternative than going to my local sushi restaurant every time I need a website translated.

Thanks

For a website you always have chrome web browser. I’m using it for fysical text on inner labels on jeans or magazines for example.

Edited by Spiraltoy

Rainy Saturday so we went to the new museum in town, the Haus der Bayerischen Geschichte (Centre of Bavarian History), since entry is free for the first few weeks after opening.

There's the Oktoberfest Löwenbräu lion in the foyer

0Mi7Gath.jpg

And relevant to this thread - a short panel on Levi Strauss :)

jV79F5Ph.jpg

CufbjrCh.jpg

The museum is worth a visit if you're ever in Regensburg.

el5qS3Kh.jpg

lj75u7Hh.jpg

YHPe5LKh.jpg

^ seats from the '72 olympics

9ZIvXYch.jpg

"Landesgrenze", this tree once marked a border crossing between east and west Germany

jTi2GfHh.jpg

zJCoXy6h.jpg

HJLMAPzh.jpg

ice cream afterwards :)

ht7kg4Ph.jpg

Really not a fan of their marketing to be honest...they were one of my first pairs getting into the whole thing and the pocketbags disintegrated after about 8 months of wear. They’re in my closet somewhere.

What are some known denims with a loose weave that are good during hot and humid weather. So far my most breathable and loosest weave is my iron heart 634SII which are extremely comfortable even in Florida summers. just trying to find out more fabrics this breathable.1558307678926.png.bcd88bb00e01f12f1ce7ea339f506733.png

In Denim Blunders news: saw someone wearing Test Lot jeans in the wild for the first time, this past Saturday. Was at the market and saw a dude in pants that looked real familiar; said something like "hey you with the jeans", and he looked sorta embarrassed, so I didn't push a conversation. I get not wanting to talk about clothes with random strangers…I guess I just figured folks wearing Roy's jeans would make up a narrow enough group that there'd be some interest. If you're on here: Hey!

(For the record, I'm counting this as a blunder on his part, not mine.)

I think RGT was one of the first brands to get a lot of their exposure/sales via Instagram vs. the more "traditional" route of Superfuture/other online forums/first-wave stores like Self Edge, Blue In Green, etc. Second-wave stores like Snake Oil Provisions (ugh) also had a lot to do with their exposure and popularity. So they have a very different fanbase with different motivations, for lack of a better word.

They're not bad jeans at all, but of the 2010s western brands, I like 3Sixteen's vibe more (yes, I know they were around before the 2010s, but that's when the denim took off for them.)

You're right. I think that there were certain businesses, especially on the West coast, that helped push the RgT brand, and IG helped a lot with that exposure. I'm not bashing RgT by any means....it's just not for me.

I like 3sixteen as well and think they've been pretty consistent with their core offerings but also with their quality. I rank them #1 when it comes to US denim brands.

16 hours ago, Radiohead89 said:

What are some known denims with a loose weave that are good during hot and humid weather. So far my most breathable and loosest weave is my iron heart 634SII which are extremely comfortable even in Florida summers. just trying to find out more fabrics this breathable.

I live in Chicago where the summer heat and humidity can be brutal (though not Florida brutal) and my favorite jeans in hot, sticky weather are the OA01xx 1217. Loose fit, loose weave, breathable, comfortable, perfect for your summer denim needs. Unfortunately, they are sold out of everything but size 40x36 on their website. The Ooe Yofukuten Instagram has pics of new jeans, the OA01 and OA02 cuts, being assembled, but no word on a release date as far as I know. I believe I read that the new batches of jeans will be made with a new denim fabric. The guys from Standard and Strange probably have more details about this.

10 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

In Denim Blunders news: saw someone wearing Test Lot jeans in the wild for the first time, this past Saturday. Was at the market and saw a dude in pants that looked real familiar; said something like "hey you with the jeans", and he looked sorta embarrassed, so I didn't push a conversation. I get not wanting to talk about clothes with random strangers…I guess I just figured folks wearing Roy's jeans would make up a narrow enough group that there'd be some interest. If you're on here: Hey!

(For the record, I'm counting this as a blunder on his part, not mine.)

The correct response on dude's part should have been "I've been waiting for you, brother."

17 hours ago, Radiohead89 said:

What are some known denims with a loose weave that are good during hot and humid weather. So far my most breathable and loosest weave is my iron heart 634SII which are extremely comfortable even in Florida summers. just trying to find out more fabrics this breathable.1558307678926.png.bcd88bb00e01f12f1ce7ea339f506733.png

I am in the Bahamas and know your pain.  Second Sugar Cane.  Strike Gold 11XX denim is very breathable but their cuts are pretty slim and can get annoying in the heat.   I find looser cuts works best.  Freewheelers 1951 denim is pretty comfortable in the heat.  

So some really shitty stuff happened today. I had my apartment broken into :(. Thankfully they left pretty much everything except they stole my laptop and all my jeans... Yes, all my jeans

I happen to be wearing my shittiest pair today (black lsg), so I have those and the resolutes that were hidden under some clothes that I had just bought.

All my other pairs (warehouse 1001, boncoura 66, Samurai 0500, fullcount 1011, PBJ 009 and even a pair of work Levi's) were taken. I'm thankful they didn't take my more expensive electronics but it hurts so much. Especially the warehouses and boncoura. 

There's worse, so I'll move on and grab new pairs but man, this shit sucks. But could be worse haha.

Damn, I’m really sorry dude. That sucks. Not sure how fashion-savvy the douchebags are but I’ll keep my eyes peeled for them being resold online. Boncoura is such a niche brand so if a pair popped up for sale I’d know it.

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Damn, I’m really sorry dude. That sucks. Not sure how fashion-savvy the douchebags are but I’ll keep my eyes peeled for them being resold online. Boncoura is such a niche brand so if a pair popped up for sale I’d know it.

Yeah going to browse a bit for a while to see if I see anything. And yeah the coo was mentioning like maybe they knew but even for some in the know, boncoura is super niche. They were the ones sitting on top of the stack and look the nicest so probably just grabbed thinking they could make a buck.

And can't double quote on phone but @kicks79 yeah I don't know. Think it was just easy grab. Grabbed the laptops the jeans and shoved it into my duffle bag and ran. No issues with anyone but can't help but feel a bit weird.

Gutted for you, happened to me a few years ago. Some ass hole broke in took a load of clothes and laptop etc, including every pair of jeans I had. 

When I took stock of what was missing they had managed to take every birthday /Christmas gift my partner had bought me in the last 2 years or so prior. 

8 hours ago, d-rew12 said:

So some really shitty stuff happened today. I had my apartment broken into :(. Thankfully they left pretty much everything except they stole my laptop and all my jeans... Yes, all my jeans

I happen to be wearing my shittiest pair today (black lsg), so I have those and the resolutes that were hidden under some clothes that I had just bought.

All my other pairs (warehouse 1001, boncoura 66, Samurai 0500, fullcount 1011, PBJ 009 and even a pair of work Levi's) were taken. I'm thankful they didn't take my more expensive electronics but it hurts so much. Especially the warehouses and boncoura. 

There's worse, so I'll move on and grab new pairs but man, this shit sucks. But could be worse haha.

Do you have apartment insurance?  It might be able to cover your loss.  I'd talk with them to figure something out.

That's really weird. I can't imagine anybody in my area would steal any clothing if they broke into my apartment. Hardly anyone in my area (Atlanta) has even heard of brands like Flat Head, 3Sixteen, etc., and it's not like any of this stuff looks "expensive" to people who aren't denim nerds. 

You'd only be concerned about having clothing stolen if you owned lots of Supreme and hypebeast sneakers.

3 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Cameras could be a good investment.  You could get some cheap ones or expensive versions and see the image on your phone when you're away.

This can be beneficial for inestigators and to secure prosecutions; however, the stolen items are typically fenced quickly and not recovered.

I am very sorry for your experience.

Thanks for the kind words guys. And sadly no renters insurance  it lesson learned. I live in an old complex so no cameras but yeah thinking about it now. But also thinking of moving somewhere else. Haven't really had any issues but I live next to a high traveled homeless area so who knows.

They attempted to break into another but gave up. They broke in through the back entrance and I happen to be the first one they see. My city also isn't very fashionable so maybe they thought they could make a quick buck. Oh well.

And I found out last night, they also took a big thing of change I had (that was given to me by my mom). Was so damn heavy I never really dealt with it so I'm kind of impressed they took it haha.

But now an excuse to buy some jeans I guess haha.